Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VS IntellIsense not working for whatever reason

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by XgamingXMC, Jul 3, 2020.

1. XgamingXMC

XgamingXMC

I have a problem with IntellIsense on VS 2019. Tried everything, re-installing Unity extension for VS, changing Unity settings and so on. Once in a while I finally manage to get it working but next day it doesn't work again. Anyway to permanently fix it?

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

3. XgamingXMC

XgamingXMC

upload_2020-7-3_17-55-50.png
    And now I'm getting this after I updated VS. Even tried to repair the download...

4. Nick_D

Nick_D

I have had this problem for MONTHS. NOTHING works. It's driving me literally crazy. Reinstalled Mono, reinstalled VS Code, nothing. Tried installing mono from brew, tried deleting all my .csproj files, tried renaming .NET directories....

If you think you can win the prize, this is my log:

Starting OmniSharp server at 7/3/2020, 9:25:35 AM
    Target: /Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/myproject.sln

OmniSharp server started.
    Path: /Users/me/.vscode/extensions/ms-dotnettools.csharp-1.21.15/.omnisharp/1.34.14/run
    PID: 3077

[info]: OmniSharp.Stdio.Host
    Starting OmniSharp on MacOS 10.15.5 (x64)
    [info]: OmniSharp.Services.DotNetCliService
    DotNetPath set to dotnet
    [info]: OmniSharp.MSBuild.Discovery.MSBuildLocator
    Located 1 MSBuild instance(s)
    1: StandAlone 16.4 - "/Users/me/.vscode/extensions/ms-dotnettools.csharp-1.21.15/.omnisharp/1.34.14/omnisharp/.msbuild/Current/Bin"
    MSBUILD_EXE_PATH environment variable set to '/Users/me/.vscode/extensions/ms-dotnettools.csharp-1.21.15/.omnisharp/1.34.14/omnisharp/.msbuild/Current/Bin/MSBuild.dll'
    Registered MSBuild instance: StandAlone 16.4 - "/Users/me/.vscode/extensions/ms-dotnettools.csharp-1.21.15/.omnisharp/1.34.14/omnisharp/.msbuild/Current/Bin"
    CscToolExe = csc.exe
    MSBuildToolsPath = /Users/me/.vscode/extensions/ms-dotnettools.csharp-1.21.15/.omnisharp/1.34.14/omnisharp/.msbuild/Current/Bin
    CscToolPath = /Users/me/.vscode/extensions/ms-dotnettools.csharp-1.21.15/.omnisharp/1.34.14/omnisharp/.msbuild/Current/Bin/Roslyn
    BypassFrameworkInstallChecks = true
    MSBuildExtensionsPath = /Users/me/.vscode/extensions/ms-dotnettools.csharp-1.21.15/.omnisharp/1.34.14/omnisharp/.msbuild
    [info]: OmniSharp.Cake.CakeProjectSystem
    Detecting Cake files in '/Users/me/mydirectory/myproject'.
    [info]: OmniSharp.Cake.CakeProjectSystem
    Could not find any Cake files
    [info]: OmniSharp.MSBuild.ProjectSystem
    Detecting projects in '/Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/myproject.sln'.
    [info]: OmniSharp.MSBuild.ProjectManager
    Queue project update for '/Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp.csproj'
    Queue project update for '/Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.csproj'
    Queue project update for '/Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp-Editor.csproj'
    Queue project update for '/Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp-Editor-firstpass.csproj'
    [info]: OmniSharp.Script.ScriptProjectSystem
    Detecting CSX files in '/Users/me/mydirectory/myproject'.
    Loading project: /Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp.csproj
    [info]: OmniSharp.Script.ScriptProjectSystem
    Could not find any CSX files
    [info]: OmniSharp.WorkspaceInitializer
    Invoking Workspace Options Provider: OmniSharp.Roslyn.CSharp.Services.CSharpFormattingWorkspaceOptionsProvider, Order: 0
    Invoking Workspace Options Provider: OmniSharp.Roslyn.CSharp.Services.RenameWorkspaceOptionsProvider, Order: 100
    Invoking Workspace Options Provider: OmniSharp.Roslyn.CSharp.Services.ImplementTypeWorkspaceOptionsProvider, Order: 110
    Invoking Workspace Options Provider: OmniSharp.Roslyn.CSharp.Services.EditorConfigWorkspaceOptionsProvider, Order: 200
    Configuration finished.
    [info]: OmniSharp.Stdio.Host
    Omnisharp server running using Stdio at location '/Users/me/mydirectory/myproject' on host 3060.
    [fail]: OmniSharp.MSBuild.ProjectLoader
    The reference assemblies for .NETFramework,Version=v3.5 were not found. To resolve this, install the Developer Pack (SDK/Targeting Pack) for this framework version or retarget your application. You can download .NET Framework Developer Packs at https://aka.ms/msbuild/developerpacks
    [warn]: OmniSharp.MSBuild.ProjectManager
    Failed to load project file '/Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp.csproj'.
    /Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp.csproj
    /Users/me/.vscode/extensions/ms-dotnettools.csharp-1.21.15/.omnisharp/1.34.14/omnisharp/.msbuild/Current/Bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1193,5): Error: The reference assemblies for .NETFramework,Version=v3.5 were not found. To resolve this, install the Developer Pack (SDK/Targeting Pack) for this framework version or retarget your application. You can download .NET Framework Developer Packs at https://aka.ms/msbuild/developerpacks

Loading project: /Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.csproj
    The reference assemblies for .NETFramework,Version=v3.5 were not found. To resolve this, install the Developer Pack (SDK/Targeting Pack) for this framework version or retarget your application. You can download .NET Framework Developer Packs at https://aka.ms/msbuild/developerpacks
    Failed to load project file '/Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.csproj'.
    /Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.csproj
    /Users/me/.vscode/extensions/ms-dotnettools.csharp-1.21.15/.omnisharp/1.34.14/omnisharp/.msbuild/Current/Bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1193,5): Error: The reference assemblies for .NETFramework,Version=v3.5 were not found. To resolve this, install the Developer Pack (SDK/Targeting Pack) for this framework version or retarget your application. You can download .NET Framework Developer Packs at https://aka.ms/msbuild/developerpacks

Loading project: /Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp-Editor.csproj
    Failed to load project file '/Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp-Editor.csproj'.
    /Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp-Editor.csproj

Loading project: /Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp-Editor-firstpass.csproj
    Failed to load project file '/Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp-Editor-firstpass.csproj'.
    /Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp-Editor-firstpass.csproj

[fail]: OmniSharp.MSBuild.ProjectManager
    Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp.csproj
    Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.csproj
    Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp-Editor.csproj
    Attempted to update project that is not loaded: /Users/me/mydirectory/myproject/Assembly-CSharp-Editor-firstpass.csproj

5. Nick_D

Nick_D

The weird thing is, if I make any change to a document - add, delete a space whatever - intellisense starts working for that file, but only that file.

6. miniwolf_unity

miniwolf_unity

Unity Technologies

This post is about Visual Studio, not Visual Studio Code.
    However, the requirements should be to have the latest install from here: https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/

7. John_MSFT

John_MSFT

Microsoft Employee

@XgamingXMC

If you're using Unity 2020.x, update the Visual Studio package to version 2.0.2.

Unity Editor > Windows > Package Manager. From the Package Manager window, make sure that the drop-down shows the packages "In Project" and find the Visual Studio package (not Visual Studio Code). Select it and update to 2.0.2.

If you're using Unity 2019.x or already have 2.0.2 installed, please report the problem using the Visual Studio > Help > Report a Problem menu. That will take you to the Developer Community site where you can post a bug and it will include some version information and logs that are helpful. From there we can troubleshoot and keep track of the issue and get it fixed. Thanks!