Search Unity

Bug VS for Mac 2022 (Preview) - VS 'Project' Drawer goes blank / stops rendering correctly.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Arthur-LVGameDev, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

See video, below -- it demonstrates the issue pretty clearly.

Not sure what causes/triggers it. I'm not sure if the issue is VS itself, the Unity<=>VS plugin, maybe both. I believe that I've had it occur both with the "Show Unity Explorer" option ticked but also when it's not ticked -- though not 100%, but fairly sure. It definitely occurs with the option ticked, though.

I'd guess MTBF (mean time between failure, from startup to rendering not working) around 20 minutes when doing moderate-to-heavy code editing & saving work across 10+ files.

Restarting VS resolves it, for a while; the issue will then eventually come back again, though, and the only solution is to close VS and open it up yet again. Rinse & repeat.

Tech Details
    Unity 2021.3.6f1 (latest)
    Visual Studio Community 2022 for Mac Preview - Version 17.3 Preview (17.3 build 2012) (latest)
    macOS 12.4 (latest)
    Mac Pro 2019; dGPU (5700 XT 8GB); 96GB RAM; super-fast RAID array (SSDs); plenty of CPU & RAM headroom, etc...

VS for Mac Performance - General Performance Degradation Over Session Time
    That said -- restarting VS-for-Mac intermittently is pretty much a requirement right now, even without the aforementioned project/file drawer issue. Upon starting up VS-for-mac, it runs relatively fast (much faster than the prior/non-preview version); after 10-45 minutes of relatively-heavy code editing & refactoring (ie moving between, editing, saving multiple-dozens of C# files), the performance of VS-for-mac will regress substantially until it becomes noticeably sluggish, at which point restarting it will resolve the issue (and by then you've probably lost your project/file drawer, too). Similar to above -- now you rinse/repeat.