Search Unity

VS Debugging freezes Unity on Play Start

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by TriNityGER, Aug 31, 2018.

1. TriNityGER

TriNityGER

I think it started to appear after the latest VS 2017 update 15.8.2 with the Tools for Unity 3.8.0.6 installed.
    Whenever I start attaching VS to Unity and start the game via the Play Button, the whole editor freezes.
    If I try to stop the debugging, the editor works again but now VS is frozen! It takes an eternity for VS to recover.

Any ideas? Is the problem known?

2. rich-brighton

rich-brighton

Unity Technologies

3. rich-brighton

rich-brighton

Unity Technologies

@TriNityGER do you use the [InitializeOnLoad] attribute in your project at all?

4. Jcardoso

Jcardoso

had a similar problem, that end up by being too much old breakpoints, clean all the breakpoints and everything start working smoothly :)

My current environment is :

VS 15.8.5
    VS Unity Tools 3.8.0.7

Vad3rInHale and little_box like this.
  5. TriNityGER

TriNityGER

Sorry for never getting back! Yes we used the InitializeOnLoad attribute in one special class.

But great news! After updating VS from 15.8.4 to 15.8.5 everything is back to normal! I can finally step through my breakpoints as usual without any freezes or anything. I suspect that one of the debugger fixes from that update to fix the Unity/VS issue even though it is only for Android/IOS. Or maybe the fix was never documented.

6. little_box

little_box

Thank you, same problem.