Search Unity

Bug VS Code and .net Installation

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by meierdesigns, Aug 27, 2023.

1. meierdesigns

meierdesigns

Hi. I'm trying to open my project with VS Code and it just won't give me the proper Snippets.

Side note: I really don't want to use the regular version of Visual Studio because it's just too overloaded with GUI stuff and I want to focus by having a clean window. Also it used to work very well in the past.

When I try to open the project now it gives me an error for each of the scripts within the project:

2023-08-27 18:39:26.813 [warning] The project file... [FILELOCATION.csproj] is in unsupported format (for example, a traditional .Net Framework project). It need be converted to new SDK style to work in C# Dev Kit.

I have reinstalled ndp471-devpack-enu and dotnet-sdk-7.0.400-win-x64. Was that the wrong version? What extensions do I really have to install to VS Code?

Also in the problems window it gives 8 error messages like that:
    "Mathf": Unknown word.
    "Behaviour": Unknown word.

What did I do wrong?

2. meierdesigns

meierdesigns

3. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

That's a bad argument. Like, for one, you could just ignore all that GUI.
    But I know some just can't, that's where full screen mode may be a blessing.
    Lastly, I use Rider and it's such a productivity boost, if you actually earn money with Unity development this will be a wise investment:
    upload_2023-8-31_15-11-19.png

This is really not a Unity thing. VSCode has been deprecated. It's actually no longer supported by Unity for at least over a year now? Can't remember. Only very recently, like 1-2 months ago, Microsoft apparently stepped in and made a VSCode plugin Unity package of their own - which given its "newness" is still in preview mode and since preview packages are hidden by default, you don't see it by default.

Eventually it will become visible. Perhaps some years from now, VSCode will be an okay-ish tool to use with Unity.

But my point is, and I keep saying this over and over, if you really want to be using VSCode with Unity, you're making a decision whether to walk on a paved road where you can ask any random person for help and you'll likely get good pointer. Or you could go hiking, where don't always see a clear path, signs are few and if you need help or direction, you'll largely be on your own. Guess which equals VSCode. ;)

If you want to be a pioneer and don't mind the pains, sure, go ahead and use VSCode. You'll have a growing set of tools and menu items and toolbar icons though because you need to be installing and maintaining several plugins, for each of which a failing interoperability with the other tools and specific Unity version is always a possibility.

So if you actually do Unity work for a living, you're throwing time/money out the window not using a proper IDE. ;)

This isn't directed just at you, I advise this generally to every reader to think about the reasons and rationale for using VSCode with Unity. VSCode hasn't been, and it currently isn't a well-integrated, hassle-free script editing tool to use with Unity. Of course, VS has issues of itself, mainly that it's targeted to business app developers. That's why I strongly recommend Rider to any professional user since it sits in the middle AND has powerful Unity-specific tooling and integration not seen in any MS product.

4. midsummer

midsummer