Search Unity

VRTK or Native Unity VR for a project starting development in 2019

Discussion in 'VR' started by ROBYER1, Jan 29, 2019.

1. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Unity XR Management Subsystems
    Unity XR Interaction package
    bingo!

Shizola likes this.
  2. YukiRou

YukiRou

Did you use normal "Oculus Integrations" on unity asset store or you use other SDK?

3. Foj

Foj

To be clear, as I am totally confused-dot-com, you have gone the UnityXR root?
    & dropped VRTK4?
    Any documentation/links you'd recommend to follow?

Thank you for all this input.

4. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Foj likes this.
  5. Foj

Foj

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    ROBYER1 likes this.
  6. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

It is difficult to stay up to date in this area as the tools change so much, UnityXR and Unity XRI has sort of stabilised for now.

7. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

Same here, after publishing one app and having gone through all the pain and suffering, I swore never to use any third party tools for VR. Not because they are bad, they are great for learning and getting something up and running in a hurry. However, its a nightmare when it comes to troubleshooting, extending(having to support ever growing number of different types of VR platforms) and maintaining (e.g. keeping up with unity updates). This affect even more for long term (1-2 year) projects.

XR has it is own quirks and it still lacks in information/tutorials but at least once you learn, you are good to go for a long time.

VR with Andrew is awesome!

Foj and ROBYER1 like this.
  8. kraaazy

kraaazy

Can you use Unity XR to build to Steam? Or is the OpenVR package not done for it yet? Has anyone tried extending it to work?

9. Foj

Foj

VR with Andrew has a video "open vr for unity xr toolkit (preview)" it's only about 10 minutes long, I've not watched it, I am only concerned with the Rift for now. Hope this may help.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  10. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

11. harti177

harti177

Hey everyone, I just want to know how much other frameworks like VRIF (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/vr-interaction-framework-161066) and Interhaptics (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/hand-tracking-interaction-builder-168830) offer in comparison with Unity XR interaction toolkit.

I have done a two projects with VRTK before and now doing one with Unity XR interaction toolkit. Not games, just medical related University projects and now quite comfortable with XR. I just wanted to know do the two assets offer anything that I could save time with ?

Also would like to is there any other frameworks available ?