Search Unity

VRTK for Unity 2019.3

Discussion in 'VR' started by cgbenner, Jul 9, 2019.

1. cgbenner

cgbenner

Hi, new to this whole world and not getting anywhere fast. Watching tutorials I saw a great series on VRTK. So I loaded it from the Asset Store. But guess what. The version in the asset store, which loads fine into 2019.3, doesn't have any of the interactions seen in the tutorial series. Those were made using 2018.3 and an older version of VRTK grabbed from github. So, I installed 2018.3 and followed the steps to clone VRTK from github as shown in the video. It all loaded just fine.... only now my Oculus is out dated to those versions!!

Is there any combination of Unity, VRTK AND Oculus, which includes all of the interaction prefabs,.... anywhere? Is there any hope for someone who cannot code his way through a wet kleenex to learn how to do a simple walkaroud in Unity? I don't even want to blow things up! Just walk around a machine and interact with it. Can anyone help?

2. ccoutinho

ccoutinho

Hi
    I am also looking for building VR solutions with VRTK ver 3 as complete documentation for ver 4 is not yet out.
    I suggest you look at the VRTK tutorials - Basics by stonefox on Youtube.
    Also you can join their Slack channel.
    I am currently in the process of developing a video tutorial of a FPS game, but it will be a while before its out.

3. Schneider21

Schneider21

I think you have it backwards, @cgbenner. The version of VRTK from the Asset Store is VRTK 3, while the GitHub version is VRTK 4. The newer version is in development, and is a full rewrite of the library, so it doesn't have everything the older version has yet, I believe. I find the example scenes in 3 to be much easier to look at and understand. The farm scene in 4 just isn't clear enough yet, and the holes in the documentation don't make it any easier.

That said, you may want to play with both anyway. And also try the native 3rd party solutions, as well as Unity's implementation. Every one of them has drawbacks, pain-points, and advantages, and it's worth knowing what those are. The best way to figure that out is to play with things and break them, so get to breaking!