Search Unity

VRTK End of Life

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by tcmeric, Dec 31, 2017.

1. ippdev

ippdev

Post a screenshot is not a question. It is a demand for proof. ..like I needed proof 'cause I frikkin' lie all the time. Nah..Homey ain't buying that. I entered with a casual remark about my findings and it turns into a dick waving 'prove it' routine. Yeah GTFU. If ya wanna see if it stops motion sickness just try it FFS. Put something that sticks in place at your eyebrow height.. If it doesn't work take off the HMD before you puke all over yourself.

2. ippdev

ippdev

Rules..rules..rules. I never followed them. i did what worked. This type of display would have been completely useless considering the mechanics i used.

Alverik likes this.
  3. Selzier

Selzier

Stereoscopic 360 screenshot or it didn't happen.

ippdev likes this.
  4. Alverik

Alverik

Well, the way he asked could be misinterpreted as "show me proof", rather than "show me how you did it".

5. Alverik

Alverik

Isn't that a prejudice? It's like saying regular PC games with HUDs can't be immersive when tons of games have proved that wrong. It all depends on the style and aim you have for your game. If the player doesn't concentrate too much on the UI or they take it for granted then it hurts nothing... well, even if they do notice it, it sometimes hurts nothing either. It's back to the prejudice that all VR games should be first person and use diegetic UI. It's idealistic, but not really necessary, or even true.

ippdev likes this.
  6. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

haha, I was curious how it looked, most HUDs in VR are off like HUDs on modern era guns(not scifi). haha, sounds like you are the one that should grow up bud.

Its not that i'm totally against HUDs in VR, it's just most are unnatural. A good VR HUD is really cool, here is a good example on a natural HUD from our game

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  7. Ostwind

Ostwind

No it's not and can be observed from VR game reviews and recommendations from the experts who have hundreds of hours with test groups and experience in general (ie. Oculus or Valve). I don't know why are you bringing regular desktop games in to the talk but with VR wrong type HUD actually makes people sick regardless of the developers intentions or style aim. For example Vive and Rift have a fixed focal point of something between ~1-2 meters and slapping a static element near center of the screen can cause eye strain or cross eye effect pretty easily. Elements on edges of view with a slight slerp following are far more easy to eyes which is why it would have been nice to see what type the HUD was.

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

You know what F*** face, English is a second language to me, and maybe, F***ing maybe it was just a honest misstake in how I put my words. F***ing idiot

edit: That was my professional reply to your so called professional post

Ostwind likes this.
  9. Selzier

Selzier

I feel like we're on the edge of a major technological breakthrough here for the VR Industry.

10. ippdev

ippdev

It was just the same manner as your amateur post. Get a grip junior. Yer only impressing the other youngsters around here who seem to have a loose grip on manners and parsing of convo flow.. Nobody owes you a single thing around here. They are not bound to honor your demands nor write your code nor offer you a booby prize for your accomplishments. If you are impolite then you can probably expect the same in return.

Alverik likes this.
  11. Alverik

Alverik

Sorry, but stop putting words into my mouth. I never once said or advised anyone to slap a UI "near the center of the screen". Never did I say to keep it constantly on the screen or anything. You are making all those assumptions on your own. And stop bringing statistics into the talk, VR is incredibly new, and we won't know all possibilities until many years or even decades of testing and usage have been done. There are always games that break the rules because they find a way to make things work. The current state of VR is not unlike when the NES came out or even older game systems. Unless you can see the future, it's still too soon to make standards. But more importantly, people are allowed to be creative. Live with it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    ippdev likes this.
  12. Ostwind

Ostwind

I never said you did. Read everything, read especially how the part begins with "for example" and how the paragraph ends in a comment. However as it seems you have a similar problems as your fellow friend here and have issues with reading comprehension I think we are done here. Also all of this unrelated to VRTK.

After you have read this you can report this post and ask the mods to lock or clean up the thread from the slurs and offtopic as it has derailed badly.

13. ippdev

ippdev

A replacement for his toolkit would be nice. I went hunting for resources yesterday to set up VR for a complex multicam setup and most of the examples are deprecated and/or out of date. The Unity manual page with a link to the latest Oculus tools went to a 404 at the Oculus site.I did find the 1.22 utilities but don't like all the interdependencies. I am simply trying to do a couple of things and all the attendant bells and whistles are more a hindrance than help.

Alverik likes this.
  14. ippdev

ippdev

You implied he said such or your example would be moot instead of pugnacious. As to derailing the thread and foul language. I use colorfully descriptive language but it seems you 'like' a whole bunch of one of the worst cusswords being used in a 14 year old testosterone charged adolescent rage. Fail son..pure fail. In my years of experience on these forums it is the entitled gamers who dev for rockstardom who start most of the crapfests. This thread was no different. I punch back.

That being said and back on topic. I have been pondering how to use an already complex raycasting to UI and 3D world objects system to work with the Oculus VR Gaze Reticule with the least amount of additional scripting.

Alverik likes this.
  15. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Some people just completely lack self awareness I guess. But who cares its internet.

16. ippdev

ippdev

Projection much?? This is actually a forum for users of the Unity game engine. The protocols are different. Manners are helpful.

17. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

The rudeness in this thread started with the lines "I ain't got time for your silliness. Post a screenshot indeed. Grow up."

I have never seen bigger issues with self awareness than displayed in this thread.

18. ippdev

ippdev

That was a reply to your demand I post a screenshot like i needed proof i actually did what i said. I did not have time for such silliness and did not want to dig through folders and go through the process. I was writing code for my day job at the time. I entered the thread looking for VR tools and methods, made a comment on how I alleviated motion sickness in a sim I made and you come back with demands i post screenshots. What the hell for?? To prove what to who and why?? If you can answer those two questions satisfactorily I will apologize. If you can't well....you do not have an argument.

Alverik likes this.
  19. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

There are alot of out of place HUDs in VR today. Like

Or

I was just curious how this HUD looked

20. ippdev

ippdev

I don't have a clue what the first one was up to. The second one is probably using the same camera for UI and his weapon. He needed to use a second UI only cam and put the HUD somewhere where it doesn't get obscured by the gun sight. I would have put it along the top.. That and the sides is where fighter pilots HUD have their data so it doesn't get in the way of the view for flying and targeting. Basically in peripheral vision when looking straight ahead.

Alverik likes this.
  21. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

There shouldn't be ANY HUDs on those in the first place.

22. Alverik

Alverik

You realize that's just your opinion, right? Everyone has a different opinion kid, so apply your opinions to your work, and let others do whatever they want with theirs. It's that simple.

Note: And just to clarify, if I really had to use UI there I would've done it differently, but that's also true about every dev out there, and all of them would have come up with something slightly different. Cause, like I said, everyone has their own opinion.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  23. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Do you see floating HUDs by the side of sub machine guns when you did military service? I did not

edit: I clearly have a older mental age than both of you children so please drop the kid talk ok

24. ippdev

ippdev

Sonny. i am 60 years old. Have done military service and worked with high end military grade software used in fighter cockpits. I was programming computers by cards before you were crapping mustard in yer pampers in yer blessed mothers arms. The software I am writing will be used to project manage a 1.5 billion USD VR based amusement park in China by Disney's Chief Scientist. and that is a beta test. You would argue with my boss incessantly as he is pioneering the UI I am building around the various tools for BIM, collaboration and visualization. But my boss/teammate sat on the US Presidential Science Council so he is not liable to pay any mind to an FPS dev.. His brother developed the realtime unique ID tracking system for every hard, consumable and soft good in the US Military. His partner and my friend created Revit and the BIM standard. Ya wanna dick wave I will knock you out cold. I tried to give you a Chinese save face out but you just booby trapped yerself again. Grownups don't do that.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  25. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

haha, its you doing the dick waving sonny. haha, its incredible during those 60 years that you have not gained a single ounce of self awareness.

You must surly be trolling

26. ippdev

ippdev

Surely you must be tailwalking across the pond. Just pointing out how small the corner of the world you have stuffed your creativity into with your insistent paradigm. I gave you several chances to redeem yourself and get the thread back but like a spoiled brat you jut gotta keep snarking..which naturally invites further slap arounds from a salt shotgun toting old codger such as myself. You clowns are all the same.."you don't know crap..you don't know anything..my way or the highway"..then after credentials posted.."braggart..braggart!!"..LOL..

27. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I could have helped you with your UI problem since I have written a system for just that. It just works with any uGUI since it invokes the vanilla UI events on the canvas in focus. But since you are being a huge a-hole unprecedented in modern time you can forget that

28. ippdev

ippdev

The first few sentences were in line with how things should proceed around here. The last..I give as good or better than I get. Help me and I am grateful. Diss me, lay gambits at my feet or treat me with lack of respect or a modicum of professional decency and you get captain bombastic and his high falutin' sideshow. It seems to have stopped the gnats from picking at my threads over the many years i have been on discussion boards. I have part of the system set up, my 3D objects are passing data when activated by gaze. The second UI camera is trickier. Once I get the gaze cursor to show i am good to go beyond finding the positional setup so that user can switch between standard desktop view and VR without moving UIcamera distances from UI. I also need the UI locked in place and not float with the HMD so I can gaze at UI controls easily. I would probably be farther ahead if I didn't get derailed dealing with your shenanigans:)

29. GuidewireGames

GuidewireGames

Anyone having problems with the last version of VRTK and 2018. I seemed to have some problem with the highlighting class and it calling some texture function.

30. tlskillman

tlskillman

Haven't tired 2018 yet. Will report back. I have a lot of code working right now and don't look forward to a load of new debugging effort... Blah.

31. keags

keags

I have found the same issue, if you or anyone else finds the solution I would love to know. I've been looking for a solution for many days now with no luck.

32. noorbeast

noorbeast

Replace:
    renderer.material.SetTexture("_MainTex", new Texture());

with:

renderer.material.SetTexture("_MainTex", new Texture2D(0,0));

33. Nigey

Nigey

Is this the only current problem with VRTK in Unity 2018.1? That's pretty minimal. It sounds like the package is still very viable for Unity this year.

34. Ostwind

Ostwind

35. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

VRTK devlopment is active again after they got more fundings so thats nice

edit: ops, @Ostwind just pointed that out