Search Unity

VRTK beginning to show it's age with latest SteamVR update?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by CloudyVR, Jul 29, 2018.

1. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Now that TheStoneFox will no longer be maintaining the VRTK branch, I fear that SteamVR must take on the pivotal role of ensuring seamless backwards compatibility if VRTK is to survive.

But it appears to me that in some situations many people are reporting controllers not working in Unity since the latest SteamVR update, I too noticed controller problems in the last and current betas where if Vive Trackers are turned on they will invoke options for Legacy Bindings menus when the game launches causing it to fail to utilize the controllers at all.

However, in some instances I was able to reinitialize VRTK elements and things would begin to sort of start working again. So I feel VRTK is affected.

But currently none of my trackers center buttons work and some have stated that the pogo-pins are also affected in Unity.

Is this a sign of VRTK falling into obsolescence as it's fate may be doomed if SteamVR is unable to provide proper backwards compatibility support?

Or is it a Unity Thing???

Or do you believe SteamVR team will eventually get around to addressing things like trackers and 3rd party stuff such as Oculus-Steam, razr hydra, so on.. and provide some sort of seamless backwards compatibility?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  2. Ostwind

Ostwind

Maybe you have missed the news but VRTK is still alive and there is even another live stream about version 4 today. Note that SteamVR is known to been buggy sometimes with their main/beta versions in Steam plus with their plugin depending of Unity version or just in general.

CloudyVR likes this.
  3. linojon

linojon

Hi. If you're considering migrating from VRTK to a native SDK, check out my company's new Unity utility, parkerhill bridgeXR. Here's a video about this specific topic

4. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

*A sigh of relief!!
    I was worried about this for a while now.

Do you suppose it will be a simple update to the existing VRTK core package, or is this an entire rewrite?
    At times I mod my VRTK source and hope these customization will be easily translated to newer versions?

Still great news. thanks!

5. Ostwind

Ostwind

AFAIK v4 is a complete rewrite with no simple or any upgrade path but that allows it to be made flexible and much more extendable so you would need to modify the core source in any but super rare use cases.

ROBYER1 and CloudyVR like this.