Search Unity

Vray vs PLM vs Octane vs Polm vs Arnold in lightmapping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UnityLighting, Nov 18, 2017.

1. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

I want to make comparisons between different renderes for Lightmapping:

Currently i could test VRay,Arnold and PLM
    GTX 960 vs 4790K

Arnold:
    Arnold couldn't clean noise in default settings changed Camera AA to 30 to get same noise amount compare to PLM or Vray . I used proper settings to clean noise. Noise was my Indicator
    Vray GPU vs CPU:
    VRay__CPU_vs_GPU.gif
    PLM vs Vray CPU:
    PLM_vs_VRay_CPU.gif
    PLM vs Arnold
    PLM_vs_Arnold.gif
    Vray vs Arnold
    Arnold_vs_VRay.gif

2. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Octane vs Vray CPU:

Webp.net-gifmaker (27).gif

3. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

POLM vs Vray
    Webp.net-gifmaker (28).gif
    POLM vs PLM
    Webp.net-gifmaker (29).gif

4. tyrot

tyrot

ok now we can discuss here :) i think you are obsessed with empty rooms :) How about exporting full big scene from UNITY (with unity game objects of course) into MAX and VRAY BAKED it and send back to unity :) come on ... i dare you . I just do not understand why you "THINK" VRAY is a baking solution for Unity :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  5. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Forget Vray. Vray usage is very easy like Arnold because has Batch rendering mode (choose unity's project path as render path to update lightmaps automatically) ,But octane does not supports Batch baking

Currently POLM is the best choice from my opinion . I will make some videos and shaders about VRay workflow
    Why polm is better in my tests ?
    1. It's faster
    2. Open source
    3. Developer is live and accessible
    4. Vray and Octane or Arnold all have a big problem : Render whole diffuse map and not only Lightmaps. We can disable Diffuse textures in Vray but GI calculation will skips texture's color

Big scene

I will make a big scene rendering in POLM and Vray if i find some free time

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  6. layola

layola

7. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

8. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Resolution is 4 for both renderers
    PLM : 4 min
    123.jpg
    Enlighten 2 min (very low- presset)
    4.jpg

9. x4000

x4000

Moving here from that other thread (Octane Lightmapping in Unity takes seconds, not hours). In your post above, I don't see an appreciable difference in quality that would make me prefer one over the other. The main problems I see are with the texturing and modeling, and those are bad enough that the lightmapping doesn't really get at much improvement for me. I guess the harsh line in the center of the screen, now that I look at it super close. On a better set of textures that would be really strange.

10. x4000

x4000

By the way, do you have any particular tutorials on how to do external lightmapping in some other tool and then actually get it into unity? It seems like you're using VRay and Arnold to get those results into unity. I have an active Max subscription and have 3D Coat and so forth and would not mind paying for something that "gets the job done well on large scenes, and quickly," even if that was a small quality hit compared to max settings on PLM or whatever.

I only ask since you're doing all these comparison shots. I have all of your lighting scene assets and the lighting box, and those are indeed very helpful, but bake times have been a continual problem for me, particularly when making iterative changes.

11. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

This is an mobile game and reduced textures quality to get less apk size

Bake time in VRay in best settings is very similar to PLM and POLM. So spending time to convert from Vray to unity is longer than using Unity's lightmapping.

So i prefer you to use PLM currentlly for interior and Exterior (Switch to Enlighten after seen preview and find a proper setting susing PLM to get faster result)

For interior PLM is good choice.

I will upload some new videos:

here you can see current videos:

12. x4000

x4000

That makes good sense, thanks. I'll have to go through your assets again. There's a lot in there to digest.

13. bocs

bocs

x4000 likes this.
  14. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

x4000 likes this.
  15. x4000

x4000

Responded over there. I'd never heard of cycles before, to be honest. Ironic since I've used blender off and on (mostly off) since the late 90s. Mostly I moved into the commercial realm of modelers, so cycles had escaped me.