Search Unity

VRay Baking and Unity Pipeline

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by nm8shun, Feb 11, 2016.

1. nm8shun

nm8shun

I'm hoping to get some advice from some of you that have already solved this. I've been really unhappy with baked results in Unity 5 (a real visual step back from the days of Beast I find), and so have been looking at working with a more sophisticated output via VRay.

I'm using VRay in Maya and am able to bake textures (with lighting, etc..) into a second UV set (using Render>Lighting/Shading>Bake with VRay). I've used the VRayBakeOptions mode to be able to define the size of the baked texture. I think I've got a good handle on this part.

My questions for those of you who have done this well:

a) Is there anyway besides having to combine and redo a UV projection to a second UV Set for VRay to bake to a second UV set? C4D has an auto-unwrap-at-baking sort of thing; I didn't know if VRay in Maya did this.
    b) After baking and exporting to .fbx, Unity doesn't see any of the VRay materials. Should I be doing something before export?
    c) After importing .fbx into Unity, I have to recreate all the materials. I put the diffuse back into the Albedo, and then plug the baked texture into the Secondary Maps (Detail Albedo) channel and change the UV Set to UV1 (second set). This finally produces the look, but man, this will take forever with a large project. Is there some more elegant/effective way?

Thanks for any guidance.

2. unity_Da2XrafRt0j4Wg

unity_Da2XrafRt0j4Wg

Hi nm8shun.....
    Im going down the same exact path as your re: baking out large scenes from VRAY or Redshift to Unity. Did you find any tools that make the process more efficient? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Shane