Search Unity

VR Zombie Survival. Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShawntheKlngofnothing, Feb 14, 2023.

1. ShawntheKlngofnothing

ShawntheKlngofnothing

So I looked over the Forums, and since this will be a multi-faceted post, i ......"Think" this is best suited for the General Discussion Forum? o_O

Anyway, here goes.

I want to create a Small VR game similar to a Call Of Duty Zombies game Mode.
    Yes, i know its cliche, Haha. But I also know that this should be quite easy as far as starting projects go, as I'm quite new.
    To pull this off, I need to be able to do a few things.....
    A Health/Damage system.
    A spawn system able to handle increased wave numbers.
    A way to move said Waves/Enemies to a central location, that the player must defend.
    And the understanding to link these systems, as implementing one system does not mean it will work for the project as a whole.

Aside from my C# lessons and watching YouTube tutorials, is there any shortcuts here that i can take advantage of?
    Like unity asset store plugins, specific YouTube tutorials that walk me though this style of game in detail, or any words of wisdom?

Thanks for your time and patience.

2. spiney199

spiney199

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is absolutely not an easy starting project.

Anything VR is pretty much advanced territory immediately as the technical considers are far higher than a standard project.

Doesn't mean you can't try, but you might find yourself very quickly completely out of your depth.

3. neginfinity

neginfinity

Not really. If he has a beefy pc he can make make low poly zombie shooter with minimal optimization...

You need to acquaint yourself with the engine. One puzzling thing many newbies do recently is that for some incomprehensible reason they go to youtube and read tutorials (often written by other newbies), while unitylearn exist ( https://learn.unity.com/ ) and there's manual and scripting refernece. Youtube and tutorials aren't the most efficient way to learn.

Basically you need learn the engine one way or another. Right now you talk about "health/damage system", for example, as if it is an incredibly powerful monumental task. It is not, and it is actually simple, but for it to become simple, you need to learn the engine.

ShawntheKlngofnothing likes this.
  4. ippdev

ippdev

You will probably need to understand PhysX rigidbodies, triggers and collisions for health/damage as well as some timer that can subtract health over time.
    Instantiation is your friend for spawning.
    The Unity Transform and Vector3 classes have methods translate, rotate and scale, find angles, LookAt.
    Forget youtube tutorials. Use the Unity manual and scripting API.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  5. ShawntheKlngofnothing

ShawntheKlngofnothing

I'm developing for the Oculus Quest 2, and only using Onboard VR experiences. I've already used Unity to post several VR sims in, using the XR toolkit with (Extremely!) limited interactions. just walking around, running, stuff we take for granted, haha. got physics working too.
    Since Im developing for the Quest 2's onboard Snapdragon XR2, with the silly 6gb of RAM(overkill for the chip), I dont need anything close to a PC able to run PCVR.
    Im actually running unity and Oculus Sideloader (Posting APK's directly to the headset) on a super duper LOW end Micro PC...
    Amazon.com: COOFUN Mini PC UM350 AMD Ryzen 5 3550H Mini Computer DDR4 16 GB RAM 256 GB PCle SSD, Radeon Vega Graphics, Dual Band WiFi HDMI/DisplayPort/USB-C, 2.5G RJ45 LAN, 4X Ports USB 3.0 : Electronics
    this cute little thing is in no way able to run even mid tier games, but it outputs to the Quest 2's onboard hardware perfectly, as onboard VR is pretty low end. the dang little PC struggles to run Unity, but once I post the APK to the headset, its fine, as the dang headset has better specs.
    So my only issue right now is, i would assume, my lack of understanding of game based C#.
    I've started the Unity Pathways learning curse, to learn Unity coding, but im finding it extremely ineffective, I think i need a structured course on HOW C# works. I'm not trying to be difficult or a know it all, i swear!
    I just know there are more efficient ways to learn some things.
    Any good tutorials or websites I should look into to teach me focused game based c#?
    I totally agree with you on the tutor