Search Unity

VR with Unity on Mac

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Bertom01, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Bertom01

Bertom01

Hi Guys,

I am seriously struggling to understand if there is a Headset compatible with Mac High Sierra.

I was nearly there to purchase Oculus Rift but the customer service told me it is only for PC.

My idea would be to use Unity + Mac High Sierra + Headset. But what headset?

Many thanks for your help.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Use it for what, exactly? I believe that the Vive headset can be used with the Mac, though I've only seen it done with an external GPU box. But even then, there is little to no software for it.

Personally, I highly recommend the Oculus Go. It is extremely fast/easy to use, and way more comfortable than the Vive. Its biggest limitation is that it (and its controller) does only 3DOF tracking, but that turns out to be not as obnoxious as you might expect. And you can develop for it in Unity on your Mac just fine.

3. Bertom01

Bertom01

Hi Joe, thank you for your information.

The idea was to import 3d models/environment created in Cinema4d into Unity and use a Headset with a joystick to fly-through and interact.

I don't understand if once bought the Headset I can use it on Mac High Sierra and the workflow can be smooth.

Thank you for your support!

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You could certainly do that with the Go.

Possibly you could do it with the Vive too (though it might require an external GPU). I'm less certain about that.

5. Bertom01

Bertom01

Many thanks for your response, very kind!