Search Unity

VR with cardbox

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by lordfong, Feb 6, 2015.

1. lordfong

lordfong

Hello fellow vr developers,

I don't want to have this questions get lost in details, so I am gonna post this in paragraph's and then the big question.

My current environment:
    Mac book pro
    Unity Pro (trial)
    Android development set up and already produced a demo with a skybox, stereoscopic foto.
    Separate project for the Rift as well: This project can play movie textures.

What I want:
    To have the same project of rift be executed on a mobile device. Say I set up a skybox(sphere), and within the skybox there's the Cardboard main camera. I am aware that unity/android does not support movie textures. Soo......

Question:
    How do I get google cardboard to play movie textures on a skybox? What should the script generally look like? Is this even possible or should I consider doing this natively?

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the feedback. Please let me know if you need more details.

2. JDMulti

JDMulti

Use image sequences, this is what I did. But be carefull with it. :)

3. lordfong

lordfong

I thought movie textures are those exact same thing XD. Thanks for the suggestion. (Make a list, 60 images per second, and i got like a 5min video , needs to be in the 1900 res, so about 1MB(number pulled out of my behind ;P) per file maybe??)

Update: It seems video wasn't playing on unity game preview. It was however playing on the device, in fullscreen :( . So I might be halfway there. I have come across an assets that can do this for $75. Do any of you guys know if it works?

Here is the link http://u3d.as/content/defiant-development-pty-ltd/mobile-movie-texture/2w1.

4. JDMulti

JDMulti

I have no experience with that plugin. However I know that movie textures on mobile devices will always play in fullscreen mode outside Unity as a layer over the application. When you quit then or stop playing, they switch back to the 3d content. I don't know if this plugin enables playback inside a 3d environment, but I doubt that. At least iOS has some really strict policy on this and it always plays outside Unity in fullscreen.