Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VR water - reflection help

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Vizition, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Vizition

Vizition

Hello

I have literally all purple links for the first 3 pages of Google, and I have also looked and tried all possible solutions on Unity Forums.. *sigh*

So here we go:

Does anyone successfully implemented other than Basic Water (Unity standard assets), I.E. water with reflections successfully in OpenVR (Vive)? It seems like whatever me and my team do result in flickering and general bad looking water. Basic water is not sufficient, but it seems like nothing is working.

Does anyone have a Unity Project with stereo reflections?

2. Migueljb

Migueljb

I would stay away from real time reflections in any VR single or multi pass. I could never get any of the asset store waters to work look good or run good in VR with realtime reflections. What I did find was using Aquas with a baked reflection probe of your world looks pretty good and you have to not use the reflection script and turn it off in the settings to. Also I use Calm Water and that one can use a cubemap for reflection is as good as it gets but when done right and tweaked they both can look and feel pretty good in VR and run good to. Calm Water has displacement in the water so its good for like beach water.

3. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Aquas doesn't seem to mention any official VR support, is it only the Calm water shader that works correctly?

4. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

Calm Water's realtime reflections aren't working either for me. The only one I had working correctly at one point was Ceto and that was in the long long ago. :(
    Even since its been made open source it hasn't received much attention in the stereo planar reflections department i'm afraid. more than kinda sucks.....planar reflections look beautiful in VR. performance hungry? yes. but still very nice.

CloudyVR likes this.