Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[VR] Wasps! - VR garden battle arena

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Glockenbeat, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Glockenbeat

Glockenbeat

Wasps! drops you into a house’s backyard and has you defend yourself against numerous wasps approaching you. Use gardening tools, toys and alike as weapons. Ever wanted to shred an insect into pieces with a lawn mower?

The game went online a couple of days ago on Steam and is available for sale. It's using room scale movement so right now it's only available on the HTC Vive with a port to the Oculus coming.

Here's the Steam page
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/514820/

And this is my home page
    http://www.madvulture.de

Dev facts
    • Built in about 4 months by 1 person (less than part time next to a full time job)
    • Unity as the game engine
    • 3D Assets built with 3ds Max
    • 2D Assets built Photoshop
    • Uses assets from the asset store & Turbosquid yet all of them have been customized
    • Sound was either taken from free sites or bought from online libraries, yet much customized too
    • Built with the Vive consumer version

Trivia
    • It's increadibly straight-forward to implement the SteamVR SDK
      • It's not so easy to update the SteamVR SDK while keeping your game working
    • Originally I just wanted to play around with the Vive and see how hard it would be to develop for this, but decided to wrap the prototype up and make a game from it
    • The beloved family cat nearly got stung by a much hated wasp which turned out to be a good basis for a scenario
    • It's hilarious to make someone play the game who has neither had any previous experience with VR games nor has any idea what to expect from the game
    • The developer of this game is not allergic to wasps but freaks out once a wasp is on the same side of the planet (like every normal person does)

Next on Wasps!

I've got a lot of additional content in mind, and right now I am coding a new type of enemy behavior and working on a new weapon (a chainsaw definitely sounds like the right proportionality). There are also other "special" weapons on my list which serve as a bonus for combos, killing sprees and alike. Plus online leaderboards and a lot of other stuff.
    Every additional feature will be handed out for free as patches to the original game.

I really hope you like it and maybe try it! :)

Cheers,
    Beat

PS: First 5 to send me a PM with their Steam account ID (or better: directly in Steam to user madvulturegames) may receive a key in exchange for a review!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    ADNCG and GarBenjamin like this.
  2. Glockenbeat

Glockenbeat

Time is running by and so the first major update went online yesterday. It's not just fixes or some changes, but a whole lot of features!

• New weapon - the chainsaw! This one make a lot of fun and noise, but does a great job at shredding wasps
    • Talking of shredding wasps - anything with a blade will now shred them into pieces - looks awesome and gives great feedback!
    • Some of the wasps have a different behavior. They try to surround you and attack only after a while instead of getting to you straight. Makes a bit of extra panic and thrill!
    • Pause mode and menu added to restart or go back to the main menu
    • The how to play instructions have been completely reworked
    • German language support has been added
    I hope you like it!