Search Unity

VR video ads

Discussion in 'Unity Ads' started by zFarm, Mar 9, 2015.

1. zFarm

zFarm

I have a VR app called Go Show ( goshow.info )that is a virtual movie theater. I would like to place ads on the screen. Would it be possible to set up a video ad off to the side and render to texture onto my virtual screen?

Rather than have it lay over to top of the app. That would take you out of VR.

2. lugduweb

lugduweb

Hi !
    I'm having the same problem with my app "VR Experience".
    Users complain about ads are sometime shown while they are already in VR with a cardboard or VR helmet.
    I'm currently upgrading my app to Unity 5 and new UI (which can be displayed in 3D, maybe it works with the latest Unity ads package ?)
    Did you find a solution ?
    Regards

3. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Unity Technologies

We don't have the option to do this yet. This is a worthwhile consideration, though. Thanks for bringing it up.

Fir3stormStudio likes this.
  4. lugduweb

lugduweb

That would be awesome !
    Maybe the ads could also be redirected to a texture that we could map anywhere in our 3D scene ?

5. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Unity Technologies

Currently no way of doing that since everything is loaded through web view. It'll take quite a bit of re-engineering of the existing system to do this right. Don't have the bandwidth for this at the moment, but keeping it in mind.

Selzier and Salazar like this.
  6. Studiomaurer

Studiomaurer

Any news on this yet? With the new GearVR and oculus launch coming up there are some really good reasons to dig into it. VR is growing up...

groDAs76 and Sys_Guru like this.
  7. Studiomaurer

Studiomaurer

18 Months passed since you said you would keep it in mind, fair time to ask what the current status on unity ads for VR is.
    Any progress? Is it even on the roadmap?

unity-nikkolai likes this.
  8. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

+1
    Just had to remove my Unity Ads before submitting the VR version of the game, messes with your eyes so much having a non VR thing show on VR O_O

9. Selzier

Selzier

Unity (hey there Nikkolai!), we are really looking forward to monetizing VR games. Until Unity Ads supports this, I've made a tutorial on how to use Immsersv to show VR video ads:

unity-nikkolai likes this.
  10. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Unity Technologies

@Selzier, thanks for posting! Great tutorial, as always :) Interesting to see how Immersv is presenting ads in VR.

@Studiomaurer, ads in VR is on the roadmap, but it may be down the road a ways. Please be sure to voice your interest in having Unity Ads support VR by upvoting the feature on our feedback page. Thanks!

Selzier likes this.
  11. abhishekbansal1993

abhishekbansal1993

Hi everyone,
    We at VadR Network, have created a VR ad platform to display Video Interstitial ads as well as application environment matching native ads. Do check us out at www.vadrnet.com. You can also find our demo video at
    Thanks.

marcosocram likes this.
  12. lugduweb

lugduweb

Hi ! Can we have news about this feature ?
    Are 327 votes enough for it to be added to next release of Unity Ads ?

marcosocram likes this.
  13. lugduweb

lugduweb

Hello, there is now 461 votes for the feature. Still nothing scheduled in a near future ?
    Thanks for any feedback !

marcosocram and DaveF like this.
  14. jgwinner

jgwinner

It's pretty crazy this isn't available yet.

My guess is, non-VR people are worried that a developer can map an add to a non-obvious area in game, and collect the money.

You could solve that by checking gaze direction, or even requiring focus on the item in game to register a 'hit'.

Developers would need to surround users with the adds, or work out some other way to ensure visibility.

Putting an add on a billboard in-game seems the most organic. My guess is that no one is working on it due to worries about the add being non-visible.

== John ==

15. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Unity Technologies

16. nat42

nat42

My naive guess would be that non-VR enabled ads on say cardboard before people have put there phones in a viewer is about good enough not to force a better solution.

What does an ad company get out of displaying there ads as 2D billboards in a VR space? And with the cardboard eco-system how can they reliably register a clickthough with only a fraction of the ecosystem having controllers or screenpressers/clickers? And they would want anything that opens then to be viewed in VR (you don't want to 'punish' those that show interest afterall)

17. Selzier

Selzier

The problem is that VR ads do not generate revenue. There are not enough consumers using VR to make a profit neither for the developer nor for the Ad Network (such as Immersv).

In order for an Ad network (Unity, Immersv) to build a VR ad solution, it must be able to generate clicks and revenue but there isnt enough consumers for this.

With products like Daydream completely failing in the consumer space, being able to make a profit from VR ads is probably a long ways down the road.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017