Search Unity

VR video 360 Fade in fade out within unity possible?

Discussion in 'VR' started by netpost, Jan 25, 2020.

1. netpost

netpost

Hi guys,

I am mainly producing VR 360 videos. I usually add the Title and "End credits" section to the Unity Video using a third party video editor but I wish I could do it all in Unity to save one big step in the pipeline and work faster.

Creating a fade in, fade out is really easy when working in a flat 2d plane, using a black image and transparency but in VR it is much more complicated. Also there is no VR ready asset to generate title and credits on all sides of the cameras. Am I the only one in looking to buy assets to create simple tasks like this in Unity?

I would gladly pay to buy an asset to create VR titles and Credits and another one to create fade ins, fade outs for VR.

Do you know of any existing asset solutions for this in Unity?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. mikerz1985

mikerz1985

It sounds like you’re asking for something relatively simple but specialized, and that maybe you’re not exactly a programmer yourself?

This could be done in the 360 video shader, or on its own surface.

I think the easiest way might be to setup one or more unity projectors so that they are positioned on the user’s eye transform , and set them up to project textures with the credits on them. The credits will look perfect to the user if they are positioned correctly.

3. netpost

netpost

@mikerz1985

Thank you for your input, the projectors could be a good option. Today I used textmesh pro to create a scrolling credit with a fade in fade out text generated using dotween pro. I duplicated this on the four side of my main camera which is in a middle of a black sphere. Everything worked well, but it is a lot of work for something that should be so easy to do. The good new is I found a really affordable asset to easily create the VR fades on the asset store.(Screen Fade).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020