Search Unity

VR Samples Q&A

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by peteorstrike, Dec 8, 2015.

1. peteorstrike

peteorstrike

Unity Technologies

This is the official thread for discussion, issues and Q&A for the VR Samples project

Please use this thread if you have any questions, issues or feedback on this project.

VR Samples is a sample project available on the Asset Store:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/51519

The learning material to accompany this package can be found on our Learn Site:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/virtual-reality

The Unity VR Samples pack is a great way to get started in VR development. With this pack of a menu and 4 mini-games, you can build to Oculus DK2 and GearVR.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    SimonDarksideJ likes this.
  2. Cascho01

Cascho01

Thanks very much, will Fove officially be supported, too?
    I think its hardware specs (QHD + Eyetracking) are very interesting....

3. burtonposey

burtonposey

Looks great. Thank you guys for putting this together!

4. FultonX

FultonX

Ladies and gentlemen, the 'norm' for VR dev recipes has been defined. Let us all flock to it and be grateful.

5. ZerOneUnity

ZerOneUnity

Hello VR samples team,
    We have an OculusRift DK2 running smoothly with Unity3D-built demos but
    this week we installed the newest Unity Version (5.3.04f) on a MacPro running Win8.1
    and loaded the VR Standard assets from the asset store.
    No scene seems to be working (see error messages attached)
    Thanks in advance! unity vr samples error.png

6. peteorstrike

peteorstrike

Unity Technologies

Hello @ZerOneUnity !

We're having a quick look at this and think it's related to an issue with importing Standard Assets packages, such as the Characters package, into this project.

The best fix for now would be to delete the project and re-import it from the Asset Store page into a brand new empty project, try and avoid adding any Standard Assets packages, and hopefully you shouldn't see the console errors. We're looking into the issue now and we'll update the package once we've found a solution - thanks for flagging it!

EDIT - package has been updated and should be error free now!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  7. YellowBus

YellowBus

Hi.
    I am not so good at English.
    So please be good to understand my awkward English.

I have a question about using GUI.
    How can I control the GUI like Scrollbar or Slider on VR sample?

Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  8. prasetion

prasetion

hello, i want to ask about the GUI too in VR

i haven't try this sample but i read doc about VR that look interesting. unity has GUI default for VR, right?
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/virtual-reality/interaction-vr#anchor

so, i have developed VR with leap motion and oculus, and i stuck with the gui. can i interact with gui, like touch the gui or anything else the gui and leap motion can do, that unity has for now?

thanks

9. saadminhas

saadminhas

I am Playing around with the VR Sample Scenes.

Is this system compatible with the standard Unity GUI elements like buttons,etc?

I am trying to create a system which invokes a click event on a GUI standard button after the user looks at it for some time.

Any Tips?

10. bobburfort

bobburfort

This may seem like a really stupid question from a newbie but here it goes.

Where are the lights in these scenes? I can't seem to find a directional light anywhere.

I wait for my ridicule.
    Regards Bob

11. tazzkiller

tazzkiller

@saadminhas for simulate click i use this :

Code (CSharp):
    1. var pointer = new PointerEventData(EventSystem.current);
    2. ExecuteEvents.Execute (GameObject, pointer, ExecuteEvents.submitHandler);

12. Gowtham_Maran

Gowtham_Maran

Can we customize the UI of the vr-samples project? Whats the procedure to change the text displayed at menu screen etc?

Thanks in advance

13. peteorstrike

peteorstrike

Unity Technologies

The main menu screen UI is actually done via a texture sheet rather than UI text - at the time we didn't have a simple enough solution for curving UI elements in world space. My best recommendation would be to make your own texture sheet using the sample provided or make a series of small world space canvases for each menu item, arranged next to each other to fake a curve...

GianniAmerican likes this.
  14. caksh

caksh

Hi Unity Community,
    I am customizing the VR Sample (Flyer Example) and need help in understanding a few things.
    I am new to Unity VR development. So, my questions may be a bit basic.

What I want to do:
    I want to tweak the flyer so that it looks like a capsule moving inside the human body, curing the disease as it shoots medicines on the target sites.

What I have done:
    For that, I have changed the flyer object to a capsule shape, changed the background particle system to a stream of RBCs, removed the asteroids and rings from the screen, added organs (objects) on either side of the direction of movement, and some other things.

What I want to ask:

• How to rotate the flyer in 360 degrees while moving along a straight path? I want the laser to shoot on the sides instead of just shooting in front.
    • How to change the laser collision action so that instead of colliding, it sticks to the object? (I want the medicine to stick to the target site to cure the disease)
    • How to detach the flyer example from the rest of the VR sample into a new project?
    • How to add additional screens on the GUI before the game begins? (I want to display a welcome tutorial before starting the game)
    • How to adjust the Health indicator so that it adjusts based on the number of medicines shot (kind of an ammunition)?

I know I have asked a lot of questions.
    I would be glad if you guys can help me with any of these questions.
    Attached is a screenshot of the play mode, for reference.
    Thanks in advance,
    Akshansh.

VR_Sample_Flyer_Custom2.png VR_Sample_Flyer_Custom.png

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  15. davidgarlencia

davidgarlencia

Wow, I like VR!

16. mariagraciatech

mariagraciatech

Great knowledge, creating a VR experience is a complex undertaking that’s likely to involve shifting deadlines and intense development sprints.