Search Unity

Feedback VR Racer conversion seems simple but feels like 'Drinking Water from Fire Hose' Help

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by ristophonics, Jul 25, 2019.

1. ristophonics

ristophonics

Hi All,
    Amazing Sample! Thank you Team! .... buuut its a little daunting.... I could wrap my head around UNet fairly easily but this is another thing altogether.

I am trying to create a simple VR multiplayer racing game with the FPS Sample but clearly do not know where to start. I have read and watched as much as possible before posting this but before I get digging even deeper I wanted to get thoughts on the most efficient use the of the FPSsample for a racing game in particular.

The game I am starting with already has tracks, modes, AI and runs in single player fine but I feel like there is so much stuff in the FPS Sample I cant get my head around where to start.

Any ideas on how to get started with a Racer conversion would be most appreciated. Or should I go and use something else?

Thank you

2. ristophonics

ristophonics

3. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Howdy @ristophonics

You could mod the FPS Sample to be a racing game, and perhaps figure out how to get the VR Driver to render a second camera (main thing to VR is licensing. )

The Server would run your single player game basically, and you would want to tag any movable object as as movable object. That way the clients would look for thoes objects and update where they are on the server.

Long story short, I had about 200 of the 'waypoint cars' driving around a track, bumping and adverting one another with multiple clients (2.) But at more than 2, things broke. I researched and the FPS sample isnt setup for more than 64ish movable objects, provided you change some things. THat is still enough for most games, and you should be able to code your own doors or other movables.

There is a prefab and job system for "move" and "movable" that you can play with. If you keep the cars on screen that move... to less than 30, things should be fine.

We have not heard a word from any of the devs of the FPS sample in over a year. This board is dead really, so keep that in mind. The FPS Sample is supposed to get an update this month with the Physics system. Still a few days left...

Cheers
    MIcah

4. ristophonics

ristophonics

@AggressiveMastery - MIcah ... Thank you!
    I am only running 4 cars in a race so it should be no problem but I cant even locate the code that is driving the network. Its just so different from UNet and with so many features built on top of the regular editor it feels like I switched to another engine....

Thanks for sharing the waypoint cars experience! I am using them for basic AI cars at the moment so its encouraging to know you got as far as you did. I hope only 4 clients with 1 car each would not crash the system. I was thinking about just syncing the transform or rigidbody, steering wheel angle and brakes (on/off). The driver avatar will have to wait.

What part of the FPSsample would be best for me to attack first with all this in mind?

We have not heard a word from any of the devs of the FPS sample in over a year. This board is dead really, so keep that in mind. The FPS Sample is supposed to get an update this month with the Physics system. Still a few days left...

Good to know. Thank you again!

Best,

Moga

5. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

The Move system, there should be a "cube" prefab, look at the scripts, and drop some cubes in the editor-running-as-server and see how it works. What you are saying, is how that move system works. :)

deserialize = client code (read from server sent seralized data, aka de-serialize it)
    serialize = server code (seralize this data out to the clients)

ristophonics likes this.