Search Unity

VR Problem : interacting with a NPC with Vive Controllers

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Ache_11, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Ache_11

Ache_11

Hello !

I am working on a project and I have to make a VR training for first aid gestures. I am using a HTC Vive, SteamVR 2.0.1 and Unity 2018.3.9 .

I created a character on adobe Fuse and rigged it / animated it with Mixamo. Then I imported it in Unity and everythings was fine. But now I want to be able to interact with this character with the vive controllers.

During this "game", the user is supposed to practice first aid gestures on this character. So for example, he would have to put the character into "recovery position". And for that, what I did was creating a ragdoll effect and adding the Interactable and Complex Throwable scripts from steamVR on it while disabling the animator on the character. But the result isn't convincing enough...

The colliders created by the ragdoll wizard included in unity are capsules, so the body can't stay in one position. Another annoying thing, is that the character reacts weirdly when I move it : the "skin/body parts" are stretched or they rotate randomly and when I want to move a leg, the rest of the body also moves. It is totally normal I guess, because this what a ragdoll effect does and maybe it is not supposed to be used for interactions like that.

So my question is : what is my best option here for this feature (putting a character into recovery position) ?

Also : the controllers in the scene are the ones that come with the player prefab in steamVR. I just added a few scripts for UI interaction and modified their layer to a layer I created.

2. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

We use blendshapes to replicate all the areas in the body, and use colliders against the values of the blendshapes to replicate how muscles and tissues work when being pressed.

We then use rigging with blendshapes for movement, eye blinking, head rotations, look and conversation.

But we specialize in high end accurate simulations with our clients.

3. Ache_11

Ache_11

Thank you for your answer ! Since I am more a developper than a 3D artist, I was only focusing on unity, but now I understand that I need to use more tools in order to get what I want. Even though it seems complicated, I will try to make something of it !