Search Unity

VR polygonal modling software?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by neginfinity, Mar 16, 2021.

1. neginfinity

neginfinity

Has anyone seen good polygonal modeling software for VR?

Basically, SteamVR recently became OpenXR compliant, which means that now I can inspect blender scenes in VR. But you can't do anything else in there, only look (that's still quite impressive, though). They might improve in time, but they aren't there now.

There's BlenderXR "marui" plugin, but it doesn't appear to function on my system. (Spent some time trying to get it to work yesterday, nope).

And tiltbrush/polybrush/quilll have a wrong concept ("wrong" means not what I need) - they're painting/doodling based and do not deal with polygons and points.

2. ippdev

ippdev

3. neginfinity

neginfinity

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Actually the editor VR went totally silent, if anyone has info on that it would be awesome. Imagine unity editor VR + probuilder and polybrush working in VR without asset store purchases etc :D It would be a pretty nice base to start with for some cool tools! But my thoughts are that they pulled the plug as it was in the spotlight and suddenly not for a while

MDADigital likes this.
  5. MDADigital

MDADigital

Sounds like the Unity we know :p

6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

7. neginfinity

neginfinity

I'm only interested in a VR modeler, not in Unity editor support though. Bulk of editor work is coding and that doesn't map to VR well.

---edit---
    The fun thing about Blender support is that you apparently CAN modify the scene while it is being viewed, but you can't navigate the VR view, and half of the gizmos don't show until an operation is complete. So you start slicing a box, and instantly see it deform. But then you start a loop cut, and the cutting line is not visible in the helmet, only in the viewport.

8. neginfinity

neginfinity

If anyone is interested, I tried Kodon suggested by @ippdev ... and it doesn't have a loop cut tool for poly modeling (in addition to various issues like unreadable tiny tooltip text in VR). Apparently I can't model without loop cut.

9. neginfinity

neginfinity

If anyone is interested in Kodon mentioned by ippdev, those are sculpt/voxel focused. Felt like they're focused on sculpting first, and poly modeling is second class citizen.

10. ippdev

ippdev

11. ippdev

ippdev

The I found this video from Pixologic and a link in the description to get a basic ZBrush app for free. ZBrush in VR is the ticket. I have not reviewed this yet as I am writing a spec doc and taking a break.

12. neginfinity

neginfinity

It is interesting that everybody is trying to implement either "painting in the air" or "sculpting" when it comes to VR. And not polygonal modeling.

Makes me wonder if there's an open niche in VR toolsets.

13. neginfinity

neginfinity

Apparently Gravity Sketch seems to be quite close to what I wanted. At the moment I'm not completely sure if this is "it" or not.

They have subdiivision modeling tools, however if you turn off subdivision, they end up functioning as low poly. There's loop cut, extrude and inset equivalent, however it is unclear if there's an equivalent of "vertex/edge/face dissolve". Will need to test it a bit more later.

On somewhat related note I accidentally discovered that it is possible to navigate blender scene in VR using a glitch. Basically, use "start vr session" from VR addon, then on the desktop switch to the main camera and enable "walk navigation". You'll be able to blindly move through the scene with mouse while looking at it in VR. Which is quite amazing.

I hope they implement more comlete VR support soon.

Martin_H likes this.
  14. neginfinity

neginfinity

Well, I found it! Sorta.

Gravity Sketch supports minimal modeling workflow I was looking for. You can start with a mirrored cube and from there go extruding using the basic modeling workflow. You can loop cut, and you can undo loop cuts, you can also stitch/delete polygons.

There are caveats, though. Because the Elder Gods decree that there's no way this could be perfect.
    • No vertex painting
    • No texture painting
    • No UV editing
    • One material per object
    • If you want to export, they ask to register a "LaunchPad" account. Basically the thing is trying to lock you into their cloud.
    • Grid snapping doesn't seem to be a thing.
    • You can't navigate within the "modeling environment" with a controller, only move the model around. To navigate, you'll have to walk.
    • Can't really detach one polygon into another model.

Impressions:
    This actually feels harder than modeling in blender, because you need to move both arms to rotate the scene and look at it from multiple angles. Inability to use multiple materials on the same model is a bit annoying, same goes for Launchpad registration requirement.

Basic functionality is there, though.

15. Martin_H

Martin_H

Maybe you can pitch an idea to the blender team how to implement VR better? E.g. I could imagine placing the UI on a virtual screen in the VR space and having the viewport rendered stereoscopic and "cut out" from the UI layer.

Right now I think the main use for VR modeling is making rough blockouts and using your regular 3D tools to finish it up. I see no benefit to doing UV editing in VR for example. And I'd sorely miss all the familiar keyboard shortcuts and the precision of working with typed in numbers. VR is too imprecise for a lot of tasks, but on the other hand you can perform move/rotate operations that don't need precision much more intuitively and quickly. So for a first concept/blockout phase I think it could be great.

Gravity Sketch was the only tool I've tested so far, but it seems you already know more about it than I do.

16. neginfinity

neginfinity

Pitching works better when I have money I'm willing to donate to the project, otherwise it is trying to convince a community that my idea is good. I don't know, I'm not a fan of that....

I'm not sure if it even needs virtual UI beyond search menu, to be honest. Mouse mode had gestures, so something similar could be done in VR, and numeric entry could be done with a keypad or a "dial" or this sort of widget:
    upload_2021-4-13_23-5-45.png
    Basically, when you need to add more numbers, it extends one row/column, and if you add leading zero or trailing zero after dot, it disappears. It would be still slower than keyboard, though.