Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

VR Performance loss between 5.4.21 vs 5.4.22

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by holgk, Jun 20, 2016.

1. holgk

holgk

I just updated to the newest beta version (5.4.0b22) and i recognized a severe performance lost.
    My VR project (for the VIVE) was running on the previous version of Unity (5.4.0b21) at about 88+ frames per second. After the update to 5.4.0b22 this was almost cut in half to about 48-54 fps. (by the way i used single pass stereo rendering on both versions)
    I was able to gain some fps after enabling "Graphics Jobs" (i hadn't enabled it in 5.4.0b21). "Graphics Jobs" is about 2-5 fps worth in my project so i was able to get about 50-58 fps but that's still about 30 fps lower than before.

What i've done:
    After upgrading Unity i rebacked lighting.

So the question is: Did i missed something or is it a bug or is it a peformance loss between unity 5.4 beta versions?

P.S.: During writing this post, i did some testing and i recognized that i get the same fps with single pass stereo rendering enabled and disabled. I think that's were the differences come from. If i have to guess, i think that using 5.4.0b22 doesn't renders with single pass stereo, at least for my machine/project.

(Sorry for the wrong version number in the title. :oops: It should be "VR Performance loss between 5.4.0b21 vs 5.4.0b22")

2. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

Hmmm, my performance tests have not regressed from 5.4 beta 21 to 5.4 beta 22 on Vive,

Additionally, the tests show the Single pass stereo does save some frame time, albeit not a whole lot on that specific project (~0.5ms)

If you would please post some profiler data from your project, we may be able to find what has regressed. Profile data from both beta 21 and beta 22 with CPU and GPU (you will have to disable Graphics Jobs for this) profilers attached should give us enough info.

Alternatively, you could submit a bug report and share your project with us. Then we can take a closer look.

Thanks,

Will
    Unity QA

3. holgk

holgk

We figured out that some lights from a reimported asset were on realtime and not baked. Sorry for the inconvenience.