Search Unity

VR (OpenVR) not working (run-in-editor) in 2018.3 - but is in 2018.2 and 2019.1

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JaekSmith, Dec 21, 2018.

1. JaekSmith

JaekSmith

Anyone else seeing issues with running a VR app within the editor in Unity 2018.3.0f2?

More specifically, I have VR enabled and with only OpenVR selected - tried my existing project and new projects (both 3D with, enabling the same config, and the lightweight VR setup). Tried re-installing multiple times, etc. Lastly, I installed Unity Hub and now have { 2018.2.20f1, 2018.3.0f2, 2019.1.0a12 } installed - and the VR works with 2018.2 and 2019.1*.

*The lightweight VR setup renders vertically inverted and rotating backwards... but the quick 3D VR test works fine.

I haven't tried everything do to lack of time and so wanted to see if anyone else was having similar issues and/or had any ideas...?

Thanks!

2. JaekSmith

JaekSmith

Note: Above test was with a Vive setup.

Tested on another computer with an Oculus Rift setup - and that works with oculus selected. If I remove oculus, leaving OpenVR, it no longer works. (I'm presuming that this configuration would interact with the Rift through the OpenVR, etc).

I also tried exporting a build, instead of only running within the editor - same effect. :/

So, at the very moment, I'm sitting here wondering if anyone has the later versions working with OpenVR? (I'm sure this is has to be true - but I don't understand why these wouldn't work).

Do I need to install something extra for Vive/OpenVR for these later versions?

3. shawnblais

shawnblais

Also getting this issue, with SteamVR plugin 1.2, it complains that OpenVR_Api DLL is missing. With SteamVR 2.0, it just fails silently, tracking is never started.

4. JaekSmith

JaekSmith

Your response made me look at the SteamVR plugin version - given that you don't have to install one to use the Unity XR packages with the latest versions of Unity (far as I understand it)...

I noticed on the Unity SteamVR plugin Asset page there's a comment "Beta versions of this package that are compatible with Unity 2018.3+ are available on our github repo at: github.com/ValveSoftware/steamvr_unity_plugin" - so if you're using the plugin components, you may want to try a version from that page.

While poking at this and related, I found that when you turn on XR and it auto-adds an openvr and then an oculus entry under the packages node in the project tree ... but somewhere in there - before or after the oculus entry is added, it removes the openvr entry. Fiddling with things - I can get it to have both by removing both, adding openvr, then adding oculus back in and repositioning it at the top. This seems to work in 2018.3.0f2 and 2019.1.0a12 ... (( Note that when I said it worked with 2019.1 above, I must've used this order - as I've also reproduced the case where openvr is included in the set, but the package is missing... ))

Thanks for replying! =)

5. shawnblais

shawnblais

Ya I fixed my issues by toggling XR Settings > Virtual Reality Supported checkbox off/on, that seems to trigger a DLL copy in the background that fixes things.

Note to Unity Bug Team: Upgrading existing VR projects from 2018.2 -> 2018.3 breaks VR, requiring the "toggle fix". No, I don't have time to file a bug report :p

6. JaekSmith

JaekSmith

Under the 2019 betas (at least), simple toggling didn't work for me ... so it may be a little more complex (or version dependent).

I just dropped a quick bug report (via Unity Hub - there is a convenient menu selection to do so under the MyAccount drop-down). :D

7. eusebium

eusebium

Do you have any update from them? I get that too... :(
    I am thinking to return to 2018 version...

8. eusebium

eusebium

In my case it started to work after updating to the latest release (2019.3.0f6).
    Also, even if I was on latest release, I found out that a plugin was not configured for x86 (I am building a standalone app) for the standalone tab. So, even if it worked in the Editor (i.e. SteamVR was opening correctly), on the standalone build it was not.
    Hope this helps someone!

9. RSmart

RSmart