Search Unity

Bug VR only rendering right eye after project upgrade

Discussion in 'VR' started by labtraining, Feb 14, 2022.

1. labtraining

labtraining

We're attempting to upgrade our 2020.3.4 project to 2020.3.28 in order to migrate to Plastic SCM. After the upgrade we only get rendering in the right eye of a Quest 2 device. We're using the XR Interaction Toolkit. I've tried upgrading the toolkit, creating an empty scene with the new XR Origin, every combination of settings from multiview to multi pass, SRP to built-in rendering pipeline. It's the same story every time, rendering only in the right eye. The left eye is either one solid color or a horizontal streak. I'm deleting the library folder now and reimporting from scratch, I'll update here on whether that helps when it's complete.

2. labtraining

labtraining

Deleting the library folder didn't help. I'm going to try Unity 2020.3.20 next, it's the earliest version that supports Plastic SCM.

3. labtraining

labtraining

Okay, upgrading to Unity 2020.3.20 works. Upgrading to 2020.3.27 or 2020.3.28 causes the rendering issue. I haven't tested the versions in between.

4. DevDunk

DevDunk

Did you upgrade your packages?

5. ash_at_unity3d

ash_at_unity3d

Unity Technologies

Can you check to see if you're using the Oculus Integration asset?
    Make sure that's up to date as well.

6. labtraining

labtraining

Everything seems to be up to date. We did have the Oculus Integration package in the project, but I think we were using the Oculus XR Plugin instead (I'm honestly not sure how those two things play together). We're using XRRig in the scene, nothing from Oculus. I deleted the integration and removed/reinstalled the plugin from XR management, but now Unity is having trouble connecting to the headset. I'll have to debug more later.

7. ash_at_unity3d

ash_at_unity3d

Unity Technologies

OK, keep me updated on what you're seeing once you have the device connection going.

8. labtraining

labtraining

Sorry for the delay. I was able to fix the Oculus connection issue by updating the Oculus desktop app (which required uninstalling and reinstalling it, the update feature wasn't working). Both eyes are working in 2020.3.28 now. For anyone else struggling with this upgrade, I recommend deleting the Oculus Integration package and reinstalling it fresh if you need it, along with updating all other XR plugins.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    DevDunk likes this.
  9. splashmaker

splashmaker

I had the same issue where only the right eye would render and left eye was a single color. It was fixed after I disabled OVR Utilities Plugin under menu Oculus > Tools. It restarted then asked to re-enable, select no. Then after building the problem is gone.

10. Carpe_DMT

Carpe_DMT

@sp
    THANK YOU!

This fixed the error for me, was pulling my hair out for ages. Same deal as OP, upgraded to 2020.3.36f1 and lost the left eye, tried just about everything. This worked.

11. DevDunk

DevDunk

Did you also update oculus integration? That's usually the cause. If you disable this then it wont affect anything of course

12. unity_153155DE2C8ED9F8C5C1

unity_153155DE2C8ED9F8C5C1

This solution just worked for me too!

Upgrading a project from Unity 2019.4.12f to 2021.3.11f and from Oculus legacy Android/PC plugin to the newest version under Unity XR Management system.

Thank you!

DevDunk likes this.
  13. PsiconLab

PsiconLab

Absolute lifesaver!

14. Tieu51

Tieu51

Hello,

I encounter the same problem but I'm not
    gifted I can't find the menu Oculus to disabled OVR Utilities, neither in unity than in the quest.
    I also tried to uninstall the Oculus XR Plugin, in vain ...
    I begin in VR dev so I beg for your indulgency and really thank you before all :)

Kindly.

15. DevDunk

DevDunk

Try in a blank project with everything up to date and then compare the differences in setup

16. Tieu51

Tieu51

Hi, thanks for answering so fast^^, I did it but the pb remains .
    I would try the option provided by splashmaker but I don't find where is the oculus menu to disable the OVR Utilities Plugin...

17. DevDunk

DevDunk

That's only if you use the oculus integration package from the asset store.
    Share which plugins/packages you use, your unity version, which render pipeline, and how you set up the VR cam.
    As well as post processing etc if you use it.

18. Tieu51

Tieu51

upload_2023-6-13_15-56-59.png

These are the packages I use for this project.
    The project is a 3D URP.
    The version of Unity is 2022.3.0 (lastest lts version)
    I tried to uninstall the oculus XR plugin but it changed nothing.
    I'm on quest 2 linked and wireless.
    I'm not using post process but the pb only affect some assets with effects (Ring Buff VFX ; Free Earth Planet - The Best...)

19. DevDunk

DevDunk

Why didn't you start with that it's only some assets haha
    That's shader issue. The shader is incompatible with single pass instanced rendering

20. Tieu51

Tieu51

Hi, thanks again DevDunk :), do you think we could change the rendering mode in multipass in this kind of project to use those shader?

21. DevDunk

DevDunk

Depends on the shader, just try. Some might work with multi pass, but know that multi pass is slower most of the time. Especially on mobile VR devices like the quest 2.
    Maybe try adding support for single pass? If you google unity single pass instanced you will find the official docs with a guide

22. Tieu51

Tieu51

I finally found! The option "multipass" can be activate in the player setting. It's all functionnal!
    Thanks for your time! Have a nice day.

FondazioneLINKS and DevDunk like this.
  23. AhmadKarim

AhmadKarim

DemonDev10 and FondazioneLINKS like this.
  24. EnduvoJD

EnduvoJD

Hmm, I'm having this issue with the following conditions:
    • Single-pass instanced
    • Only for scenes loaded from assetbundles
    • The above scenes use the Unity standard shader
    • Built-in renderer in 2019.4.40
    • Oculus XR Plugin 1.12.1
    I see mentioned above that the standard shader should be compatible with single-pass instanced.

Changing to mutlipass does indeed resolve the issue, but would like to figure out why I can't run single-pass instanced only in these scenes.

Would this be due to having built the scenes before switching to XR management and single-pass instanced?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
  25. gametr4x

gametr4x

I just had a similar issue after an update, and what seemed to help was to disable optimized discards and enable depth submission in the Oculus settings. I'm using a combo of "per eye" rendering and multiview. Hope it helps others!

26. ChrisKauppert

ChrisKauppert

Thank you very much for the hint, @gametr4x ! I had the rendering only on one eye and all materials were pink after a Unity update from 2021.3.17 to 2022.3.15. Switching off "Optimize Buffer Discards (Vulkan)" in the Oculus settings did the trick. I'm just wondering why it did not work when I switched to OpenGLES3 before. Also enabling the setting again after it worked on Vulkan did not break it again.

27. gametr4x

gametr4x

Glad to help! I've since turned the buffer discards on again on Vulkan, but then disabled all MSAA and also disabled the "use recommended MSAA" on the OVRManager. That seems to solve the weird buffer submission errors (I was getting garbled textures on one eye), and prevent depth submission lag due to a PR that was reverted on the OpenGL ES branch (on which the rendering doesn't work for me).