Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

VR on macOS preview build

Discussion in 'VR on macOS Preview' started by aetfi, Jun 5, 2017.

1. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

What happened in this thread? I finally got to testing Vive with Unity, and I get a lot of flickering inside Unity editor play mode, but in a build it works fine. Did anyone else get that?

2. dri_richard

dri_richard

Same here. Builds work great but a lot of flickering in play mode. We need to port our game to Mac and it's going to be difficult in this environment!
    This forum seems to have gone pretty quiet though, is this still the appropriate place to discuss problems?

3. csofranz

csofranz

I guess it is. Flickering is indeed an issue, also with my Mac (which is old, using an outdated gpu). We are awaiting delivery of an eGPU enclosure and Vega64 for a new 2018 mac mini. I may then be able to decide if the flickering is just a matter of low fps, or if something else is amiss. It seems a fact, though, that the Mac's implementation of SteamVR is 20%-30% less performant than the Windows version.

4. dri_richard

dri_richard

We're using an eGPU with a Radeon RX570 and the flickering is still a problem, as in the entire scene (in the headset) flickers, constantly, sometimes the whole view is blue. It worked ok for about an hour yesterday though! Who knows. Today I've mostly been trying to figure out which beta channel of SteamVR to use, but they're all broken.

5. csofranz

csofranz

We no longer use the beta for Mac Steam VR, as we have a production title and now program for that version of SteamVR. That the RX570 still produces flickering doesn't bode well; that being said, early tests showed that flickering was reduced when we started the game on the monitor that was driven by the eGPU (i.e. we did not require a time-consuming back-transfer of the rendered image to the internal GPU). Have you tried that as well (drive a second monitor and HMD with the gpu, and run Unity off the second monitor)?

6. hawken

hawken

just dipping my toe in the water...

Vive & steam VR on mojave macbook pro 2018 radeon 4GB 555X = OK
    Blobby tennis = OK
    Unity 2018.2 / 2018.3 = various problems;

1. Open test scene, Steam VR input isn't setup, run setup, Unity crashes
    2. run setup, no preset inputs.
    3. finally get scene running, no controllers visible in scene.
    4. black flickering in both eyes
    5. runs at very low framerate

Is the spark for this dead? Seemed very promising.

7. JeffreyyyD

JeffreyyyD

Does SteamVR (the app through steam) have this issue of the UI being unresponsive in SteamVR and red flickers everywhere? The instability makes Unity unstable as well, causing frequent crashes.