Search Unity

VR not working after editor restart (Urgent)

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by nico90, Jul 16, 2017.

1. nico90

nico90

Dear Community,

I am currently trying to implement SteamVR in my project for a university's course. Everytime i restart the editor, unity simply rejects working with our HTC Vive gear. No error, no usage of the HMD, just frozen camera controls. It worked flawlessly before I closed the editor. This is now the 4th time that this happend. And again, I have to start all over again. I almost finished the entire project and the deadline is tomorrow before lunch, so I would highly appreciate someone putting a solution. My guess is that, for some stupid reason, unity does sone configuration change when starting the editor again. My previous workaround was uploading stuff on the cloud. And then the next day, downloading the latest stage in a fresh project. Which costs me 40 minutes every day. This time our lab was closing early and I couldnt upload the latest stage into the collab cloud because of some stupid server issues. Which means the overall situation is horrible.

Can someboy please provide me woth some solution on where to look?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Best regards
    Nicolas

I am using Unity 2017.1 and the latest steam vr plug in. The same thing already happend with 5.6.

2. jabevan

jabevan

I've run into this issue several times myself. Sometimes a clean system restart does help (I know, worst advice but it's Windows). When I ran into it just an hour ago, I ended up doing a Assets>Reimport All and it fixed (most of) my issues.

3. nico90

nico90

Hello jabevan,

thank you for your response. I already tried reimporting all the assets and also I tried to reboot my computer with no success. I am pretty sure the issue lies somewhere in the unity project-configuration. But i could be wrong of course.

4. nico90

nico90

I just found the Issue!! It seems as SteamVR does not work with OpenGL core :(!. Changing to DirectX helped. For non windows systems, maybe changing to VUlkan does the thing.

5. jabevan

jabevan

VR just seems to be unstable all around. We often have issues that need HMD or computer reboots just playing games. But I’m surprised it’s not compatible with OpenGL. Did you find supporting documentation that says that?

6. nico90

nico90

Actually it was someone in the Steam forums pointing that out. But it makes sense, since Vulkan is to replace OpenGl.

7. jldevoy

jldevoy

2017 has broken every official VR sample ive tried, it works until its saved then 2017 tries to update the c# to account for the vr section being moved, and stuff breaks. I'm now back on 5.6.

8. tommy19970714

tommy19970714

I have the same issue.
    In specific scenes, HTC Vive's camera controls has frozen.
    How did you change steamVR to DirectX from OpenGL? Please tell me how did you fix it.

9. nawash

nawash

Hi guys,
    Just found a fix for this.
    Fos some reasons, in the player settings > other settings > Virtual Reality SDKs,
    the order was none THEN OpenVR
    I moved OpenVR first and HMD worked properly again.

holonick, wpetillo and TheXWolf like this.
  10. TheXWolf

TheXWolf

Randomly googling this exact problem, as it just so happens that after a restart of the editor this was the problem.