Search Unity

VR noob quick question

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by kenshin, Mar 25, 2016.

1. kenshin

kenshin

Hi all!

I am interested to make add a VR option to my mobile app (is a non-game app, a simple 3D file viewer).

I am working with unity3D 5.3.x:

1) Is possible to build a Mobile App that can runtime switch from normal to VR render?

2) Is possible to make an Android app that support both cardboard and gearVR?

Any feedback is very appreciated!
    Kenshin

2. BabilinApps

BabilinApps

1) Yes, I know that you can turn off the VR rendering if you are targeting google cardboard. You would have to access Google's class and turn off the VR rendering. If you are using Gear VR you would have to declare Using UnityEngine.VR at the top of your script and then call VRSettings.enabled = false; or true for on .

2) It's a little complicated but it can be done. Just remember that the Gear VR requires the VR settings to be enabled and the cardboard requires the VR settings to be disabled. Right now it's tricky, let me know if you run into any problems I would post on Unity Answers . That's a better place for VR troubleshooting.

3. kenshin

kenshin

Hi @BabilinApps,

thanks a lot for your answer and the UnityAnswer hint! :)

I'll try to digg into the problem, I understand that VR on multiple devices is not trivial.

Reading unity docs:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/VR.VRDeviceType.html

I found VRDeviceType.Split and I was wondering if that was an useful setting to use cardboard, but reading your answer I think not.

...I will continue the experimentation, bye!
    Kenshin