Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

VR + Lightweight Pipeline -- no second camera?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by RadialGames, Feb 28, 2018.

1. RadialGames

RadialGames

We're using the new Lightweight render pipeline (1.0.0-beta) on 2018.1.0b9.

Any camera in a VR scene that does not have "target eye: Both" set fails to render. Is this an intended feature/optimization, or is this a bug?

The camera generates a warning I'll paste here for posterity (zero hits on google):

Scriptable Render Pipeline stereo support requires single-pass stereo.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

If we call:
    Code (csharp):
    1. UnityEngine.XR.XRSettings.enabled = false;
    cameras with "target eye: none (main display)" will start to render again (yay), but obviously turns off VR at the same time (boo).

A lot of the VR-best-practices we've discovered in development of Fantastic Contraption involve drawing a different camera to the main monitor than what the VR player is actually seeing. This allows us to dampen movement and prevent spectators from getting sick, which is important for social games.

This bug/feature also prevents us from doing mixed-reality filming, setting up a "third person" camera elsewhere in the scene recording the player's avatar.

This bug/feature also prevents a second player from picking up a controller and playing a different game on the TV in a one-vr, one-not-vr co-op mode.

Is this something that can't/won't be fixed in the lightweight render pipeline? Should we revert back to standard? Or should we stick with it for now knowing it'll change in the future?

Or -- did we forget to tick a box somewhere that allows for non-VR cameras to be rendered at the same time as VR cameras?

[edit: reposted to the github repo, I'm not certain where the best place for this is]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    WagDan and bgolus like this.
  2. jonny2027

jonny2027

We are experiencing the same issue. Regardless of what we change in the camera settings only disabling a secondary camera allows us to run the game. If we leave a secondary camera on it crashes out Unity completely

3. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

Can you please file a bug through the Unity bug reporter, I'm not sure the XR team is aware of this issue, we will need to look into this.

4. jonny2027

jonny2027

I have since found a solution by switching the secondary camera to another monitor but I have also filed a bug.

Thanks

Andre_Mcgrail likes this.
  5. Sajjad_Zareii

Sajjad_Zareii

in 2019.1 and Lightweight Pipeline 5.13.0 this thing is still happening!
    is this going to be fixed or we have to leave it be?

6. Kreativearmy

Kreativearmy

On the camera, in the inspector go to the bottom on Target Eye, set it to None (main display), that fixed it for me.