Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

VR Laser Pointer that works with Unity UI???

Discussion in 'Unity UI & TextMesh Pro' started by trappist-1, Nov 10, 2018 at 4:21 PM.

1. trappist-1

trappist-1

All day I have been trying to use SteamVR_LaserPointer and box colliders and all I have figured out is how to click a button. But scrolling and dragging, text selection is ridiculously complicated.

I need a better way to do this, I was told Unity offered world class VR solutions, yet I can't even figure out how to click a TextField or scroll a ScrollRect with a raycast.

There are many horribly outdated tutorials all over and I waste so much time learning things that dont work.

How do I raycast from Vive controller and click, scroll, drag, position cursor?

Please help me raycast and select some text from a text field, or set cursor position, or just any of the normal UI interactions!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 9:37 PM
  2. trappist-1

trappist-1

This is very hard to believe that the only thing holding me back is some stupid UI pointer. I have tried so many things and every one has some flaw or mysterious limitation.

I can't use VRTK anymore because it is obsolete.

I would pay $$$ now for a simple pointer that works, but even the ones on the asset store are reportedly not working anymore.

I just developed an entire game only to watch it burn because of Unity's broken ass UI system and VRTK not keeping up with the times.

So I'm pretty much screwed now.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 4:14 AM
  3. EMO2oo

EMO2oo

I was having a similar problem. I ended up using VIVE Input Utility from the asset store. Hope it helps.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018 at 4:16 PM