Search Unity

VR jerky/lags while moving

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Jimmy_Fraiture, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Jimmy_Fraiture

Jimmy_Fraiture

Hello everyone.
    I'm developping a game in VR with steam VR. I have a bunch of differents levels and everything worked well until now.
    But now I have some lags, the game is jerky while I move my head in the space.
    The rotation work fine and the same for the motions controller.
    But when I try to move in the room everything begin to lag and I don't understand why.
    I tried to reduce the quality settings but nothing change.
    I have a good configuration so the probleme is not there.
    So if anyone have an idea it really would help me

2. unisip

unisip

I don't know if the cause is similar, but I tried to run some unit test for VR on a GTX1070/i7 with very simple scenes (30k polygons, 40 drawcalls, running at some 700FPS without VR, and from what I see in the Oculus Debug Tools (lost frame capture), I do get frame drops regularly, causing stutter when reprojection is off (turned of via the oculus tool).

I am very surprised that even such a simple scene would result in reprojection (every 2 or 3 seconds). I have no scripts, just a camera and that simple geometry. So there is no reason for being GPU or CPU bound, but still I do get frame drops. I'm running my tests from a build, not from the editor. Debug tool says I'm dropping only to 87FPS, so that's usually just on frame dropped but that's enough to break what should be a really smooth experience.

Does anyone have experience with the oculus debug tool ? Can you get your simple scenes to consistently render at 90FPS ?

I'm puzzled...

3. arfish

arfish

I have some similar experiences in Android Cardboard VR builds. Though it's not even near 90 fps (say more like 5-10 or so...) I get the impression the fps is getting lower (jerkier) when built with newer Unity versions, especially on older devices with for example Android 6.0.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  4. Innovine

Innovine

Turn on Continuous interpolation for your rigidbody?
    Are you outputting much debug stuff? That causes framerate hits for me...

learnt_n_turnt likes this.
  5. stophs9

stophs9

@Jimmy_Fraiture and @unisip - did you ever find a solution for this? I'm running into similar problems with builds for the quest even when stripping it down to the simplest possible scene with all the recommended configs... any lessons learned would be much appreciated!

TheDevloper, ROBYER1 and VRHealthMain like this.
  6. VRHealthMain

VRHealthMain

Joining. Having the same issue with close unmoving objects in quest. When moving the head next to it you get double vision thingy, it's nauseating, and without any fps drop. Tried everything I could think of, will be happy to have this solved.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  7. zeaLOG

zeaLOG

8. VRHealthMain

VRHealthMain

I seen this bug report before and tested in 2018.3, currently we are working in 2018.4.1f1 as Oculus recommended.
    Physics aren't in use, the blurred object can be static and the HMD doesn't have any rigidbody (the object don't have one).
    I did tried to change the Time settings but it didn't made it any better.
    Any idea anyone?

9. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

10. Charlicopter

Charlicopter

Still an issue in 2019.3.13.
    Very lightweight scene; getting stutter when I move my head, about 15% of the time.
    Using Application.onBeforeRender to process lightweight tracking updates to the screen - I'm certain I've optimized for performance and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  11. Innovine

Innovine

UE5 looking awfully attractive..

12. arunkumarmuthu33

arunkumarmuthu33

Hello. I am facing similar issues. When using oculus go when I move it is very laggy and when I move my head, the scene get blurry and changes Color sometimes. I really need a solution to this problem. thank you.

13. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

This is really vague for anyone to help.

14. arunkumarmuthu33

arunkumarmuthu33

WHEN i export to oculus go, the users movement is lagging. It is not smooth. When you move around to look at the scene, i takes time for the scene to load which causes it jitter. it all of a sudden becomes green or purple before being able to load. main problem is the user movement. I is not smooth at all. I tried to edit settings e.g. shadows etc... none of them have a major impact.
    I am a beginner. I don't really know how to explain in the right terms.

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  15. arunkumarmuthu33

arunkumarmuthu33

do you have any advice?

16. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I can't really help much without more description, this is the equivalent of saying 'my car doesn't work' without saying the model of car (apologies for sounding snarky).

Please detail the draw calls/batches and set passes in your scene, what is the framerate (fps) of your scene when running on the Oculus headset , how many objects are there, what's the vertex count in your scene for most of the play time?

At first impression it just sounds like there is too much going on in the scene and the framerate is dropping

I highly recommend referring to the Oculus developer docs, there is lots of information out there for beginners to refer to and most of it is extremely useful. It's not easy starting out but you will learn from referring to these guidelines:
    https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unity/unity-perf/

17. valkindo123

valkindo123

I'm also running into slight stutters in my scene even when I turn all of my settings to the lowest. I'm developing for the quest and even when I port it to play it stutters on a basic scene. Any advice is appreciated.

18. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

I have the same problem.

19. Gregor476

Gregor476

I think I found a solution. Edit the Maximum Allowed Timestep to the Fixed Timestep. You may also need to disable locking the Fixed Timestep to frame time inside of SteamVR Settings.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Hiti3 likes this.
  20. Hiti3

Hiti3

i can confirm this with surprise but it does make sense. Equaling the max allowed and fixed threshold was enough for me. Plus setting it to 0.1 speeds the steps up making it less jittery or in my case completely gone! Remember, speed/velocity constants that were used with previous fixed timestamp will feel slower now if the values were lowered, so remember to check and correct your velocity constants across the project. Thanks man, life saver!!!

21. dev_tacitly

dev_tacitly

Still having this problem in 2023. Basic scene, with nothing more than the headset and controllers, and a system with a 4090, so its certainly not a power problem. Playing from editor onto an Oculus pro and experiencing lots of frame drops, and major tearing on the peripheral sides of the view. I think it may be related to the Open VR manager. Will update if I find a fix.

22. Charlicopter

Charlicopter

Do you have SSAO on?
    turning it off fixed my framerate issues.

23. nilagard

nilagard

I stumbled upon a post with some similar issue. As Charlicopter said it might be solved with SSAO. Take a look at this post, might clear something for you. While I don't know the exact problem and if it is the same it might be a clue. Of what you are describing it could be the same issue with Time.Deltatime that these guys are talking about - https://forum.unity.com/threads/stu...ter-upgrading-to-2021-3.1393705/#post-8788111

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  24. SkyTheDragon63

SkyTheDragon63

Has anyone found a solution for this?