Search Unity

VR Inventory System Recommendations?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by beowulfkaine, Jun 26, 2016.

1. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

Hello all! Well I'm not much of a programmer, but I'm working on my first game and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on an inventory system that can be used in VR. I'm trying to recreate the inventory experience as seen in Vanishing Realms.
    maxresdefault.jpg

2. jfinlon

jfinlon

I am in a similar situation, trying to create a VR interface to handle inventory, swapping of items, accumulation of stackable items etc.. Did you ever get any good feedback or come up with a solution that you can share?

3. SpaceOwlGames

SpaceOwlGames

So far the two types of VR inventory system I've seen are the "belt bag" kind like in Vanishing Realms and Hot Dog and Hand grenades and then there is the VR ported standard menu system, where you press a button a familiar yet 3D version of the slot bag or item list appears.

jfinlon likes this.
  4. jfinlon

jfinlon

I am leaning towards the "belt bag" option, less disruption of the immersion. IMHO. I like the idea of actually picking things up and dropping them on a model of a belt pouch, or a belt loop to use as a quick swap mount point, or reaching for the bag with an empty hand and it opening up to reveal items, with as little traditional GUI as possible(although a hybrid may be necessary)

I have identified a few things that need to be figured out to build such a system.

1) A virtual bone that connects the HMD to the avatar neckbone, similar to what VRChat uses so that you can look down to see your interaction points bound to your avatar or relative to your HMD if not using an avatar.
    2) 3D objects placed around the "waist" of your avatar, or placed directly below the VR Camera Rig object, so that it doesn't move when you look down.
    3) The interaction system for selecting, grabbing dropping etc., like the SteamVR interaction examples, the open source VRTK, or the ViveGrip Unity package provide.
    4) Implementing the the model that will represent your controller interaction points, ie replace the controller models with hands that grab and point like in Spellcaster VR, or some similar paradygm
    5) The script logic to manage the events generated by the interactions (adding, removing items from inventory, stacking them, and equipping and un-equipping items for use, like in the uMMORPG Unity Asset

I am playing with a mix of these ideas and SDKs right now, trying to narrow down the best/easiest to maintain solution, I will share what I come up with in the next couple of weeks.

5. ChrisHandzlik

ChrisHandzlik

This thread is quite old but in case someone is looking for similar thing.

Probably best inventory system I've seen is not breaking immersion and feels very much in-game.
    There's been few good in-game implementations like backpack in walking dead saints and sinners.
    The other inventory related concept for quick access is a holster. You can have them on hips and potentially on chest as well which works really well (lot's of VR shooters like take this approach).

Using those is by far best experience I've seen, other more GUI based approaches generally put me off a bit.

Just to give you bit of an idea how that could work

Full disclaimer: It's an asset I've created. It's fairly straight forward to crate however if you're looking for something out-of-the box to implement please have a look on <asset store page> or <product website> for more details.