Search Unity

VR in Unity: A Beginner's Guide (using VRTK) lesson issue

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by jroeder, Dec 20, 2019.

1. jroeder

jroeder

Hello,

I am working through the "VR in Unity: A Beginner's Guide (using VRTK)" lesson in Unity Learn, to prepare to use the tutorial in a Unity class I teach to high schoolers.

When getting to the section of the tutorial titled "VR Snap Zones (Using VRTK)", I run into an issue in Step 4:
    Changing Highlight from Outline to Translucent.

The step instructs you to locate the SnapZoneHighlight component of the DefaultHighlightMesh, and change the Shader dropdown in it to Standard. However, that entire component is grayed out for me, and this persists across computers, even when starting over from the original VRTK files. Has this feature been removed? Has it changed to be part of some other component? Is there some sort of setting I missed?

Thank you for your assistance.

charmseer and yashna0107 like this.
  2. yashna0107

yashna0107

Hello,

Were you able to resolve the issue? I am stuck at the same. Please share if you were able to get through it. Thank you.

3. markasuter

markasuter

Sorry for the delay! I just encountered the same issue when making a new demo, here's what worked for me:
    In any folder (I use my "Materials" folder") right click > create > Material. I set rendering mode to transparent so I can pick a color and change the alpha to around 50% (I'm using it for a snap zone).

Then back on the Snap Zone > SnapDestination>DestinationHighlight>HighligtableMeshContainer > DefaultHighlightMesh, just drag your new material in the inspector to add it as a component. Then change whatever shader options you want.

Not sure WHY this works or why it's necessary, but it works!

Attached Files:

charmseer likes this.
  4. callam_unity

callam_unity

Yeah its really strange that adding a new shader fixes the issue. I hope someone can find the underlying problem. Thanks for this solution tho.