Search Unity

VR, how to turn off gravity for 360 video? Changing project settings didn't have an effect.

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by rickblacker, May 25, 2018.

1. rickblacker

rickblacker

Hi all... I'm trying to create a 360 video VR scene based on this Unity blog and document. I'm using the VRTK toolkit for my VR aspect.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/01/1...active-360-video-download-our-sample-project/
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JjOQ0dXTYPFwg6eSOlIAdqyPo6QMLqh-PETwxf8ZVD8/edit

All that is working fine. I put on my headset and I get 360 video. Where the problem is, is that I want to have a small billboard, actually, it's the infopanel from the VRTK toolkit, rather a modified version of it. What is happening is that when I start the scene, the infopanel starts to move up the screen just like you do if you fall off a terrain and fall into oblivion.

I've turned gravity off by going into "Edit -> Project Settings -> Physics 2D" and setting Gravity's Y value to 0. But, still I get the illusion that I'm falling.

The video still looks fine. The ONLY clue that I have gravity is that the info panel is scrolling up the screen and completely out of the scene and past the skybox.

Was hoping someone might be able to tell me how to get past this issue.

Thanks!

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I doubt physics has anything to do with it, and I really doubt that 2D physics has anything to do with it.

Check your billboard, and if it has a Rigidbody component, delete it.

Assuming it doesn't (or you delete it and the problem still occurs), then this has nothing to do with gravity or physics. You have some script on either the camera or the billboard, which is causing it to move.

3. rickblacker

rickblacker

Hi Joe...

There is no rigid body on the billboard, I looked at everything in it's object hierarchy and didn't see one. For grins, I put a terrain object into the scene. When I did that, it resolved the problem of the billboard scrolling up...

And for a grins again, I went into "Edit -> Project Settings -> Physics" and changed the gravity "Y" value there as well. Changed it to 0. After doing this, my problem went away.

So, there is something within the VRTK that must have a rigid body on it. Not sure what it is exactly. But, at least my billboard is no longer vanishing.

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, clearly it's not the billboard that's moving; it must be the camera (or something that contains the camera). I don't use VRTK, so I'm ignorant at this point.

Anyway, glad you found a workaround.

5. rickblacker

rickblacker

Thanks for your help though. You actually did kinda help, got me to go check the "Physics" Y value, I had not considered it prior to that. I only changed the Y value on 2D because of a post I had seen previously.