Search Unity

VR Headsets and SDK

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by SwanValkyrie, May 5, 2018.

1. SwanValkyrie

SwanValkyrie

Hi All,

I'm new and wanting to learn how to develop VR. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help with.

When buying a new VR headset, what specifically does the SDK versions enable you to do? Can't I just buy a normal headset and download unity and just use the headset? I have tried googling but there aren't any specific answers.

Also what are people using with Unity? I've heard the HTC Vive is really good, but i'm also a fan of Oculus and I heard that ties in with Unity somehow. I know too some headsets require a phone, but the new Oculus Go doesn't. I guess it's personal preference?

Basically, I want to buy a second hand VR headset (even if it needs to be SDK) and then just get started and find some tutorials to then help which should be simple enough to find.

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great :)

2. Leyvin

Leyvin

For the most part all HMD will work with Unity XR (it's VR Component) out-of-the-box on 2017.2+ although 2018.1+ provides the best Compatibility and Feature Support.

So, short answer is... Yes. You can just buy a VR HMD and get started.
    Now in all honesty here., I'm not sure you'll actually be able to find a Resale VR outside of maybe a VIVE / Oculus DK (1/2) and even then they likely won't be much lower than their current Retail Prices.

Now as a keynote Oculus Go and Lenovo Mirage while are both interesting VR Solutions., keep in mind these are $200 and $400 respectively. Compare this to Windows Mixed Reality (HP / Lenovo / Dell / Acer) who all provide HMD with Motion Controllers for $215 - 250 that provide a Full VR Experience., and are fully supported by Unity XR... well it might be a much better solution.

Especially if you consider that all WMR are 1400x1400 Per Eye (2800x1400) Vs. VIVE / Oculus which provides 1080x1200 Per Eye (2160x1200). This does make a difference, especially if you plan on using it for constant switching for Development Purposes … as the Higher Resolution reduces Eye Strain., as does the Enhanced Sync that provides a very good 30 (Interlaced) / 60 / 90Hz Display with Minimised "Screen Door" (noticeable Pixel Gaps).
    On top of this WMR HMD such-as the Dell VR118 being able to "Flip Up"., again allows switching between Unity (Blender / Maya / Max) and VR Previewing without constantly taking off and putting on your Headset is very useful for Development Purposes; as is the Forehead Resting Position as opposed to Head Straps; which reduces Neck Strain and perceivable weight of the Units.

On top of this the Motion Controllers using Standard AA Batteries (replaceable on-the-fly) with a very respectable Lifespan and Automatic "Sleep" / "Idle" Mode; again makes them very useful for Development Purposes.

I'd also strongly recommend the Windows Mixed Reality Toolkit (for Unity)., which provides some great Template Scripts that allows for some very rapid Prototyping and Support. Something I'd argue is still useful for the other Headsets / Motion Controllers., while also providing a Standard Controller Fallback.

3. SwanValkyrie

SwanValkyrie

Thankyou :)

I ended up buying a new PC and was going to buy the Go to start developing on but due to the degree of movement i may do the rift. I wish the vive was cheaper too :/

hankyou