Search Unity

VR final year project

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Kerish, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Kerish

Kerish

I am doing a project that I seem to be lost at, which I believe unity has the answer for me

My project is ' Creation of VR animated IC engine for engineering, demonstration and teaching'

I am struggling on 3 main things,
    1- Importing NX Siemens Cad design to HTC VIVE
    2- Animation
    3- Interaction

Thank you for your help and guidance
    Safwat

2. StickyHoneybuns

StickyHoneybuns

Kerish likes this.
  3. John1515

John1515

What format is your 3D model?
    I have worked with some industrial design 3D models and tried to use them in Unity3D with varying results.
    So far in my experience with getting a solidworks model in Unity I only had success like this:
    Export as STL in solid works.
    Import STL in 3Ds max, export as FBX or OBJ
    Then import in Unity

In general going from Solidworks directly to Unity always caused my a lot of problems with flipped faces, believe me I tried many many options here. 3Ds max seems to be a goog import-export station if you have problems with 3D models.

4. Kerish

Kerish

Was the CAD colored when imported ? Or did it lose color ?

5. Kerish

Kerish

StickyHoneybuns likes this.
  6. John1515

John1515

I had to reapply materials yeah..

7. SiliconDroid

SiliconDroid

Your first job is to get a "game ready" model. If you start with a poor model (too high poly, meshes not segmented how you wish etc) your gonna be screwed later. You should learn about making a good game ready model using the 3D tool of your choice. Decide what submeshes you want. Get your meshes right, combine any meshes that you dont want to animate seperately. get your whole model heirachy good so that you can then maipulate it in script how you want. Export from 3D tool as FBX to unity. Then in unity script you need to read into model heirachy using transform.getChild etc. You may also consider rigging the model with skeleton in your 3D tool, it depends what you want to do, how you want to animate it. Dont import a CAD into unity, import it into your 3D tool and then get it game ready.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018