Search Unity

VR devices that allow easy (offline) app installation?

Discussion in 'VR' started by mgear, Nov 27, 2018.

1. mgear

mgear

I'm not too familiar about all the new devices coming up,
    so does anyone know good devices that allow installing apps outside of any stores?
    (google play, viveport, steamvr, oculus store etc..)

that would be quite important requirement for business customers..
    (they don't want to distribute their own app elsewhere)

And even better if the device has some kind of kiosk mode,
    so that user doesn't accidentally hit go-home button..

And one more potentially important feature is that you are not locked behind some user login in the device..

(i'll also update list here once i found out more)

Nibiru VR headset (all-in-on)
    + Android based, already rooted so can do anything there (like install apks, replace launcher, so that your app runs automatically at start etc)
    - poor performance
    - has their own vr os and app store thingy

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Oculus Go allows you to easily side-load apps (as it's called) using adb (Android Debug Bridge). It's literally just "adb install path/to/yourapp.apk".

I think it's possible to ignore the home button in such an app, though I've never tried it.

There is no user login on Go. It's also super easy — no wires, turns on automatically when you hold it up to your face, no earbuds or headphones needed, and you can rotate the strap holders up or down to use it like a ViewMaster (i.e. hand-held rather than strapping it onto your head), which is much faster and less threatening for newbies.

Unless you really need 6DOF, I think the Go is likely to be ideal here. (And don't be certain you need 6DOF until you've tried 3DOF — it's much more useful than I expected before I tried it.)

3. mgear

mgear

thanks, that sounds quite good!

testing vive focus tomorrow, will update here later..

Vive Focus headset (standalone)
    + Android based, can use adb to install
    + Has kiosk mode (and apparently some batch config features from sd card)
    + 6dof movement feels good
    + can disable virtual boundary grid
    + nice/responsive controller (although in this one the trigger button seems bit 'rusty')
    - looks like needs some initial user account (but i guess could create some dummy ones)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  4. Skyfly

Skyfly

How were your findings with the Focus? I have one now sitting on my desktop and want to dive into it. Is there an easy intro to developing for it with unity?