Search Unity

VR Desktop Packages such as OpenVR being deprecated in Unity 2020?

Discussion in 'VR' started by ROBYER1, Nov 29, 2019.

1. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Whats the plan for replacing OpenVR support in Editor from unity 2020.1 onwards? Have noticed on all the VR Desktop Packages, it has a warning saying " This package is deprecated and will be removed in Unity 2020.1. "

2. ldlework

ldlework

I wonder why you get no answer.

3. TimCoster

TimCoster

I would like to know this as well.

4. Shizola

Shizola

It's worrying that 2019.3 encourages you to use the new plugin system, yet there hasn't been any update on OpenVR for months.

5. rayBLAST-R

rayBLAST-R

I've been wondering the same thing for a while now. Searching the interweb for answers has been fruitless. The Magic Leap XR Plugin, Oculus XR Plugin, ARCore XR Plugin, and ARKit XR plugin are immediately available. But many devs need the OpenVR XR Plugin support. It would be nice to see some news on this. Or, if possible, someone directs us to a resource with answers. If for nothing else, it would help with those of us that have to plan out roadmaps for the coming year.

6. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Still waiting for some news on it...

Hobodi and ProtoPottyGames like this.
  7. drzepsuj

drzepsuj

Bump !

I wanted to test my project in 2020, yet I am unable to due to lack of Open VR support.

ProtoPottyGames likes this.
  8. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

lol so OpenVR is deprecated, but there has been ZERO word from Unity on what will replace it and when?!?

9. drzepsuj

drzepsuj

Perhaps they want to sell themselves to Facebook and dropped Open VR on purpose :D

What is interesting though, they mentioned Open VR in 2020 a18 patch notes o_O

CloudyVR likes this.
  10. Lumsrouge

Lumsrouge

Bump too wtf is happening?

imedianetwork2005 likes this.
  11. jorisweijdom

jorisweijdom

Weird indeed. A lot of developers work with HTC Vive, so whats going on. Don't mind using the XR Interaction toolkit but need support for OpenVR...

12. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

I predict that Unity will keep us in the dark about this strange development right up until they release 2020.1, which I don't think they'll do until they have whatever solution they are planning in place.

13. Tsequier

Tsequier

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/01/24/unity-xr-platform-updates/

"As part of our shift to the new plugin framework, Valve is using our XR SDK to develop their OpenVR Unity XR plugin for 2019.3 and beyond. They will share more information on where to access it once it is available. Until that plugin is available, built-in support of OpenVR will continue to be functional and available in 2019.3, and we will support our users with any critical fixes."

This might be the cause.

JamesClow and DEGUEKAS like this.
  14. DEGUEKAS

DEGUEKAS

Unity XR is very interesting, being able to create only one project and export to different platforms in VR, the cross platform is a problem that takes a long time and it is good to see them working on a solution

15. Flamacore

Flamacore

Shizola likes this.
  16. ratozumbi

ratozumbi

17. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

18. LW

LW

19. Hobodi

Hobodi

Cardboard is killed, openvr is killed. This is not the development of the engine but its degradation.

20. mikerz1985

mikerz1985

The silence is deafening at this point

21. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

The OpenVR XR Plugin is on github already if you do some digging!

Hobodi likes this.
  22. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

link?

23. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Messaged you it

24. mgear

mgear

from roadmap 2020 video,
    "valve nearing completion of openvr xr plugin"
    upload_2020-4-26_22-25-59.png

25. Shizola

Shizola

26. ExodusOTH

ExodusOTH

So I just read every link I could find in that announcement, and the takeaway I got (the part that mattered to me and I think most developers), is that they still won't be (or aren't currently) utilizing Unity's input system, meaning you won't be able to make a Cross-Platform build of your game and have it support the Valve Index finger tracking unless you use their own unique input system, and doing so means you won't be able to use Unity's XR Input (ya know, the one everyone's converted to, the 'UnityEngine.XR.InputDevices'....

"However, you can only use SteamVR Input OR Unity’s XR Input at one time - they are currently not compatible."

(https://steamcommunity.com/app/2508...97.1681664333.1588106979-910507164.1578694557)

"First, you have a choice to make between using SteamVR Input, and Unity XR Input. The two systems are currently mutually exclusive."
    (https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steamvr_unity_plugin/tree/UnityXRPlugin)

They do however, state, "If you would prefer to use Unity’s XR Input so your application can use multiple SDKs and therefore be deployed to multiple stores you can use this plugin standalone."
    (
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steamvr_unity_plugin/tree/UnityXRPlugin)
    So if you don't care about supporting the Valve Index's finger tracking, you'll still be able to use their plugin to support OpenVR.

God I hope they realize we just want to be able to support the Valve Index and it is painful right now. I had such high hopes when I saw Unity's XR Input and the HandTracking characteristic.

If anyone here's any info and I'm wrong on this conclusion, and you CAN (now or at some point in the future) get the Valve Index finger tracking while using Unity's XR Input, please correct me, this is one of the few times I'd be super happy to be wrong.

RyancHaynes likes this.
  27. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

@ExodusOTH In other words, XR input methods in Unity are a total mess right now!

ExodusOTH likes this.
  28. User340

User340

Can someone explain what is OpenVR and it's intention?

29. ExodusOTH

ExodusOTH

@HonorableDaniel

Long story short, OpenVR was one of the first examples of "We'll support all VR Devices in this single SDK", which is the goal that we should definitely be striving for, as it makes life for developers much easier. The problem currently, is that every SDK is trying to compete to have the title of the big dog "All-In-One" SDK, and so each SDK does everything to an average degree, and then their own platform to the fullest degree. For example, the Oculus Integration also supports damn near everything, however can't properly get the Finger Skeleton information from the Valve Index controller (that juicy finger tracking). The only SDK that offers that information is SteamVR's "OpenVR" input. In the same way, I don't believe that SteamVR's "OpenVR" can get the Oculus Quest's full hand-tracking information.

So basically, Oculus and Steam are like siblings in a fight right now, but they're fighting at a neighbors house, and that neighbor is the entire VR development community. So we're just awkwardly sitting in our home knowing we're gonna have to clean up their mess. Then Unity stepped in and was like "Sit down children. Can't you see you're stressing everyone out?" and Unity is trying to work with each child (Oculus and Steam) individually to get all the functionality all in one place (or at least, a better baseline of everything).

I can definitely see it going in the right direction, now that I've had a chance to tool around with Unity's XR Plugin System, and the OpenVR XR Plugin they dropped a few days ago. There is definitely more controls exposed for the Valve Index without needing to use the full SteamVR Integration package.

30. ExodusOTH

ExodusOTH

In case anyone comes across this forum, after tooling around with the new OpenVR XR Plugin for Unity, there's definitely more input controls coming from the Valve Index natively without needing to download the SteamVR asset store asset, which forces the OpenVR DLL file into all your builds, which is MUCH appreciated.

Without using the SteamVR Asset

Before:
    - Analog Stick Click
    - Analog Stick Vector2
    - A single thumb button (not both)
    - Index Trigger
    - Grip Squeeze (not touch, not capacative, no analog, an actual squeeze that you can't feasible hold for long)

After:
    - Analog Stick Click
    - Analog Stick Vector2
    - A Button's (TOUCH)
    - A Button's (PRESS)
    - B Button's (TOUCH)
    - B Button's (PRESS)
    - Index Trigger (TOUCH)
    - Index Trigger (ANALOG)
    - Index Trigger (PRESS [Greater than 0.5 on the analog])
    - Grip (TOUCH)
    - Grip (ANALOG)
    - Grip (GRAB [It's the squeeze that I talked about before, they call it "grab"])

Notes:
    - Still no Skeleton Finger tracking, but they've at least acknowledged that (whether that means they intend to expose that information under Unity's HandTracking Characteristic? IDK, but God I hope so)
    - For some reason, it's reporting the Grip (TOUCH) and Grip (GRAB) flipped, like the GRAB boolean is set to true when I just touch it, and the TOUCH boolean is set to true when I squeeze.

[Edit: There's actually like two booleans for the same Grabbing input. Both TOUCH and GRAB are reporting true when you squeeze the controller, however the GRABBED boolean is set to true when you pass 0.7 on the CAPACATIVE scale, and then set to false when you dip below 0.65 on that same CAPACATIVE scale. Keep in mind, this is all using what they call "legacy" support, so I'm not even mad, especially because it's far better/more than what they used to expose natively to Unity with the Valve Index controllers]

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  31. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Are there any guides showing exactly how to upgrade a project from Unity 2019 to the new Unity 2020 XR plugin system??

I am using SteamVR Unity Plugin - v2.2.0 in a Unity 2019.4 project.
    What version of SteamVR do I require to download now for Unity 2020?

And I am wondering about the camera rig layout? Has the camera rig changed or can I still use the exact camera/player objects currently in my scene?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020