Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VR controller input intermittent since 2019.1

Discussion in 'Input System' started by neil_sublime, Apr 17, 2019.

1. neil_sublime

neil_sublime

I've just updated our VR applications to use 2019.1.0f2 and v0.2.6 of the input system, and I've noticed that sometimes (maybe 1 in 4), the buttons on the Vive controllers aren't being picked up. They used to work fine before the upgrade, using 2018.3.8 and v0.2.1.

The devices are recognised and seem to work fine in the input debugger, but are not firing the performed and cancelled events.

I've also noticed that if the controller isn't being tracked (or isn't switched on) before the application starts, it isn't picked up by the input system whereas this used to work before the upgrade. I wonder if this is the root cause of the problem, that maybe the controller is untracked for a very brief moment when the application starts?

The binding paths I'm using are directly to the left and right Vive controllers, eg: "<ViveWand>{LeftHand}/trackpad".

2. neil_sublime

neil_sublime

Just wanted to offer a quick update.

The problem still exists when I revert to v0.2.1 with 2019.1, so it's clearly something that's changed with the Unity engine.

For the time being, I've re-implemented our low-level input handling to use the legacy input manager because my team were getting frustrated at having to stop and re-enter play mode repeatedly until the controller inputs worked. As a side benefit, they now longer need to keep the game window focused to use the controllers.

3. CraigGraff

CraigGraff

If you haven't already, would you mind submitting a bug about this?

4. neil_sublime

neil_sublime

Hi Craig, thanks for getting back to me.

Ticket: 1148318_dta7e32uvg8qlrgf

I haven't been able to add anything beyond what's above, or create a sample project, due to time constraints. I can try and find some time next week if you need me to.

5. DrummerB

DrummerB

Has this been fixed? What's you experience with VR support with the new input system? Is it stable enough?

6. neil_sublime

neil_sublime