Search Unity

VR controller and waldo layouts

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by yoDon, Sep 12, 2015.

1. yoDon

yoDon

Anyone know of a blog post that lists the buttons/triggers/etc on the major VR controllers and waldos or have experience to confirm/correct/expand on some of the notes I've collected below?

Rift and Gear both have conventional gamepad controller accessories.
    • The Rift will be shipping with an Xbox One controller so that's easy (the fancy waldos will be an optional accessory).
    • Samsung's optional gamepad appears to have the standard layout of two joysticks, a d-pad, and ABXY buttons on the front and a pair of shoulder buttons for the index fingers. I've not been able to find a photo of the back side of the controller so I've not been able to confirm it it has any analog triggers.
    • Is the Vive going to ship with the fancy waldos as standard equipment or will they be a separate purchase (and if so, will it ship with a valve gamepad with the big touch pads or a more conventional joystick based controller, and how many buttons/triggers will it have)?
    Rift and Vive both have motion tracker waldo controllers.
    • Rift has two 6 degree of freedom trackers, two vertical buttons per thumb (one big one small), two thumb sticks, two index triggers, and two grasping triggers (all the triggers being analog).
    • Vive has two 6 degree of freedom trackers, two vertical buttons per thumb (equal sizes), two thumb pads, two index triggers, and possibly two grasp triggers on the side of the handles (at least the index triggers being analog)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015