Search Unity

VR camera tick

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Pulov, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Pulov

Pulov

Please unity, simplfy the VR integration by simply addint a tick box for VR and enabling all the VR options, this would ease a lot to swap a game from 3D to VR mode.

2. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I am not quite understanding this one. There are two prefabs for you to use which pretty much show the required components for it to work? Doesn't really get any easier than that unless I am misunderstanding you here.

Attached Files:

3. Pulov

Pulov

Nevermind, I just realized how stupid my request was. Would still ease a bit the thing but it is as easy as disabling the VR prefab and enabling the regular 3D cam and viceversa... That said I think I've to update my oculus/unity integratio nbecause I do not have these prefabs.

4. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

You can download the "Unity 4 Integration" Package from the Oculus Developer page: https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/#version=0.4.4-beta

Thomas

5. virror

virror

As far as i understand Unity is already working on integrating better 3d HMD support into their engine.
    Seems to a while until we can see a release though.

6. 4nntt

4nntt

It looks like they will be adding a VR Camera tick box to a future release of Unity 5. The prefab will no longer be necessary. I wonder if this is for VR Direct SLI support.

7. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

May I ask where you got this information from?

8. virror

virror

Its been posted in the forums from devs in a bunch of places and also now in the GDC event from Unity.

9. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Ahhh alright then... didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

10. Pete-Moss

Pete-Moss

Yes, we have some improvements for VR coming Real Soon Now. The goal is to be able to target VR apps and let the engine handle talking to the hardware. This should make it so that you wont need plugins anymore to make VR work, any new driver updates just work instead of needing a recompile. And of course the same game will run on VR and non-VR alike. Plus a bunch of VR specific optimizations. I did a short talk with David from Oculus at the Unity booth at GDC. There should be more info coming on that very soon.

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  11. Zante

Zante

Interesting, looking forward to a better workflow at the moment. : ]

12. SpreadcampShay

SpreadcampShay

So it's not just about an Oculus implementation anymore, but VR in general kinda like OSVR is aiming to do? It certainly would be amazing if Unity could cover a large variety of VR due to the cost of these devices and in some cases (like HTC Vive) the sheer unavailability to developers except to the handpicked few. I hope I'm not jumping the gun with these assumptions, it's just as DK2 owner and developer that was starting to become a concern to me (right after performance issues) so I'd really to see that happen.