Search Unity

VR avatar stuck on plane

Discussion in 'VR' started by aerostronauts, Jul 9, 2019.

1. aerostronauts

aerostronauts

Hello, i am looking for some help as to why my avatar is stuck on the starting play plane

I added planes on the steps of the stairs which have box colliders but my avatar doesnt change its y position

I tried adding rigidbody to the avatar but it falls through the floor although the floor has box colliders

When i add kinematic on the avatar it goes crazy.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Are you sure you want to be using the physics engine at all? What about your game requires that?

3. aerostronauts

aerostronauts

TBH I was just trying anything I could think of to make it work, sooo... im not too sure

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Then the answer is probably no. It's unfortunate that some of the early Unity tutorials make use of the physics engine, as it gives newbies the impression that you always need it, when in many games you do not... and using it when you don't really need to definitely makes your life harder.

For what you're trying to do, a better approach is probably to use a navigation mesh.

5. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Agreed with Joe, no physics needed here for the avatar itself, also that glitch is actually pretty hilarious to see the avatar all squashed up like that above while still tracking haha. Either navigation mesh or make sure the avatar follows the position of the rest of the rig - as the head camera and armature obviously move down the stairs.