Search Unity

Discussion VR/AR Telescope

Discussion in 'AR' started by Kombo99, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Kombo99

Kombo99

First of all, forgive me for my incompetence in VR/AR

I would like to create a telescope that shows a city with houses, trees etc. halfway under water. So, if you look outside the telescope you will see the normal city; if you look in the telescope you will see the same city but halfway under water. The telescope would be mounted on the ground and does not need to be able to go 360 degrees, probably less than 180 degrees.

The problem is that I am not really sure where to start – or how much a project like this would cost to develop. What would be the easiest way to do something like this? The telescope would only need to be there for one day.

2. mgear

mgear

easy way:
    - post paid job offer to UpWork site (or other freelance jobs) and receive offers

hard way:
    - Compare AR solution (not sure which ones could be stable enough for that.. pick the best one)
    - Still need to build that custom telescope also.. basically "placing phone in tube" could be easiest, since it can run unity AR application on itself.
    - one example, ARCore has depth api https://twitter.com/LucaPrasso/status/1276361119389503488

ultra hardcore:
    - Build custom gyro or external tracking solution (instead of using AR tracking), since you have fixed telescope, could detect the view direction and draw your water on top of real camera view (and need to setup invisible "blockers" for buildings, actually this might not work, if the view scenery changes or that should detect cars etc..)