Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

VR App Recipes - Solutions and Prototypes for Gear VR apps

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by shakhruz, Apr 25, 2017.

1. shakhruz

shakhruz

Unity Asset Store Link

Greeting to all fellow Unity and VR developers. I would like to share my new asset that is coming out soon on Unity Asset Store.

A quick introduction...

My name is Shakhruz Ashirov. I have been developing VR/AR prototypes, apps, custom client projects, demos and also VR trainings and lectures since 2014.

Every time working on a new VR app I have been facing the same problems again and again and I have been collecting solutions for these problems so that there is no need to reinvent the wheel and I could get to the fun part as fast as possible. I have also been participating and organizing VR hackathons and it was important for me to be able to create an MVP within hours. When teaching VR, it was also important to provide students with a framework that would let them get results and satisfaction right away and build their VR experiences without getting too deep into solving technical problems.

VR App Recipes is a collection of mini projects, scenes, scripts, Playmaker actions that will help you solve some of the most common problems that VR developers face every day. It’s not perfect and is still under active development. With your feedback it can become even better and I hope it will serve you as much as it serves me in my freelance, consulting and development practice.

Current version is targeting GearVR as the most widespread, high quality mobile VR platform. Next in line is Daydream and Google Cardboard support, that will be included in one of the next updates.

This package requires Unity 5.6.0f3 and higher and leverages new awesome Video Player that you get for free with 5.6.

Here is the first list of provided solutions:
    * Building fully featured video players with Unity 5.6 video player
    * Building video player UI with controls
    * 3D, 360 video support
    * Video playback with Subtitles/Lyrics (srt file format)
    * Green screen video player - show green screen videos as holograms / easy special effects in VR
    * 360, 3D 360 image loading and display
    * VR Cover Flow menu example
    * Curved Menu example
    * Text Readers - displaying long texts, text with typing effects
    * Creating a simple VR tutorial with text and images
    * VR Debug Console - debug your app on device in VR
    * VR Keyboard example
    * Collection of free Skyboxes, loading skybox at runtime example

This asset is under active development, free updates with new solutions are coming...

Get it on Unity Asset Store

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    etienne3K likes this.
  2. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Hi, It sounds interesting as I love using playmaker.

Do you have Gaze menus, like look to select and use the GearVR touchpad?

Are you going to be adding new functions to people who buy now or is that it?

Have you heard about ODG R9 and R7? And please take a look at NatCam in Unity Asset Store. If you could make Playmaker actions for that, you could sell them. I use get and set property at the moment.

And do you know any easier way to dev for the gearvr? I used to use ADBwireless but that dosent work anymore in Unity 5.6 so now I build the apk and with adb scripts I reinstall it to the GearVR still in the Headset over wifi. I hate this constant push and pull of the device to just test a function.

Tomorrow I will get a 90° left bent mini usb cable and then using GearVR dev mode have the device permantly placed in the headset and cabled to the PC

3. shakhruz

shakhruz

Hi Eagleeyez,

Yes, I included OVR SDK with some customizations, one of them is to instantly enable gaze to click. You can very easily enable that in VR camera options.

Yes, there will be definitely new recipes added. Right now I'm working on Oculus Platform features, such as authentication with Oculus Home (facebook), achievements, leaderboards, in-app purchases and Oculus networking - creating multiplayer games and virtual multiplayer rooms with voice chat.

I have heard of ODG, but have not used it myself yet.

When testing I created a simple debug console in VR so I don't have to use PC and can just build and see everything in VR. The debug console is included into VR recipes...

4. fangtastical

fangtastical

Hi I am new to unity and playmaker, I have 360 video and facebook 3d spatial audio working but I need play/pause menu, is this a suitable solution? It would need to play/pause the audio and video (separate files) at the same time.

5. shakhruz

shakhruz

Hi fangtastical,
    Yes, you can find an example of a video player with play/pause controls. There is no separation for video/audio though. If you can share a sample video with spatial sound separated I could make another example player for that...

6. fangtastical

fangtastical

that would be fantastic, i'll go ahead and buy it. Should I upload the files here?

7. shakhruz

shakhruz

8. fangtastical

fangtastical

Hi I sent you the files via wetransfer, also i have installed the vr apps but am getting many (113) errors

Assets/_VRAppRecipes/7_OculusPlatform/PlatformTester/Scripts/OVRPlatformManager.cs(6,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `Oculus' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

and

Assets/_Libs/GearVRHelpers/GazeInteraction.cs(27,13): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `GazeInteractionInputModule' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

it did ask me to update to occulus 1.14

win10
    dx11
    unity 5.6.1.f1
    playmaker 1.8.4

9. fangtastical

fangtastical

ok tried this again, that one was my fault i tried unchecking the watson audio stuff because it kept bugging me with a popup to register.

tried fresh full install in a new project of playmaker 1.8.4 and VRApps with occulus 1.13 it installed ok but I get 83 warnings about depricated stuff
    Assets/VRAppRecipesPlaymaker/OVRSDKAll/OVRInteraction/Scripts/ParticleGazeCursor.cs(79,16): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.ParticleSystem.startSize' is obsolete: `startSize property is deprecated. Use main.startSize or main.startSizeMultiplier instead.'

and 12 errors
    Multiple plugins with the same name 'audiopluginoculusspatializer' (found at 'Assets/VRAppRecipesPlaymaker/Plugins/x86_64/AudioPluginOculusSpatializer.dll' and 'E:/UNITY_INSTALL/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/VR/Win64/AudioPluginOculusSpatializer.dll'). That means one or more plugins are set to be compatible with Editor. Only one plugin at the time can be used by Editor.

--------------------------

I then tried another new project with occulus 1.14, I get the same 83 warning and 24 errors
    all referring to multiple plugins

Multiple plugins with the same name 'audiopluginoculusspatializer' (found at 'Assets/VRAppRecipesPlaymaker/Plugins/x86_64/AudioPluginOculusSpatializer.dll' and 'E:/UNITY_INSTALL/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/VR/Win64/AudioPluginOculusSpatializer.dll'). That means one or more plugins are set to be compatible with Editor. Only one plugin at the time can be used by Editor.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017