Search Unity

Voxeland - Voxel Terrain Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Jun 25, 2013.

1. digitalerr0r

digitalerr0r

Hi!
    Thanks for this great asset! I'm doing some research on using this in my project. The project is using Obsive First Person Controller (https://opsive.com/assets/first-person-controller/) for character movement.

Are there some more information on how the Shift World property works? What is being moved when the threshold is met? It seems when I hit the threshold (I set it to 100), the Voxeland object starts moving away very fast, and keeps moving into the infinity. Probably because, for some reason like Obsive positioning system keeps track of where the player should be, it keeps re-detecting the threshold every frame after it's met for the first time.

I also notice that in the Voxeland demo scene, if I enable Shift World and set the threshold to 150, strange stuff happens when the threshold is met.

Anyone had luck getting this to work with the Obsive character controllers? Or with the demo?

Is it possible to use your own floating origin system, or customize how it works in Voxeland?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  2. Amenophis-Memnon

Amenophis-Memnon

Hi!
    Thanks you so much for this awesome asset!

I have a trouble with the integration of MegaSplat. I've follow the tutorial on YouTube and it works great!
    But i dont understand how to apply the MegaSplat shader to the Horizon mesh

I've follow the same step as the terrain but it do not work the horizon is always flat and not use the correct texture.

Please, help me to deal with that.

3. Prod212

Prod212

Hi, we are getting this issue with the mesh terrain where there seems to be visible seams around single blocks as you can see in the image below. I have made sure that the mesh margin is larger or the same as the relax iteration but we still get this issue. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

upload_2020-3-23_15-4-21.png

4. CitrusBranch

CitrusBranch

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but wasn't sure where would be better to post this. I'm getting strange shadow effects even from the default Voxeland created object.

Here is a quick 8 second video showing what's happening, and I'm just not sure where to start with this:

This happens in play mode as well as in the editor and built versions. Usually in play mode it isn't noticeable at first and grows over time, turning into significant flashing of the terrain.

Also, this definitely is related to shadows; if I turn shadows off from the directional light, the issue goes away.

Edit: Found that this seems to also be related to infinite terrain, as if I do a limited terrain of size 900 (haven't tried other sizes yet) the flashing does not occur.

If anyone has any idea what's causing this, I'd really appreciate the pointer!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I know this bug, It's a bug with the Legacy Render Pipeline, I saw this bug occur as well on different scenes on my side and have nothing to do with voxeland as I got this bug also on a different system and shader without any voxeland

As far as I know, does it have something to do with the Shadow Distance and the angle of the Directional Light.

---> Video but embed does not work
    https://imgur.com/a/JXdhk65

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Also, I'm working on a "Pseudo" Low Poly Generator for Voxeland, and I will share it with the community once it's ready ( Probably next week )

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2020
    mrs26 and Chemanel like this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

As some of you guys already notice have I worked on a Low Poly Mesh Generator for Voxeland...

Low Poly Generator
    for
    Voxeland 5

2020-04-08 03_23_13-Window.jpg 2020-04-08 03_26_16-Window.jpg 2020-04-08 03_25_06-Window.jpg

How to Set it Up:

1. Copy and Create the Script​
    Code (csharp):
    2. using System;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    5. using UnityEditor;
    6. #endif
    7. using UnityEngine;
    8. using Voxeland5;
    10. namespace Fox.Flow
    11. {
    12.     [ExecuteInEditMode]
    13.     public class LowPolifyVoxeland : MonoBehaviour
    14.     {
    16.         #region Editable_Variables
    18.         [Header( "Settings" )]
    19.         [Tooltip( "Makes Enable the whole transformation" )]
    20.         [SerializeField] private bool UseLowPolyMesh = true;
    21.         [Space]
    23.         [Tooltip( "The Seed for the Randomization, if any Randomization is used" )]
    24.         [SerializeField] private int HighPolyIncreaseRandomizationSeed = 123456;
    26.         [Header( "Edges" )]
    27.         [Tooltip( "If using Edge Transformation the Edges gets transformed outside or inside of the blocks" )]
    28.         [SerializeField] private bool UseEdgesTransformation = true;
    29.         [Tooltip( "Lower means more chance of edges having a Introverted or Extroverted shape" )]
    30.         [Range( 0, 6 )]
    31.         [SerializeField] private byte HighPolyIncreaseEdges = 1;
    33.         [Space]
    34.         [Tooltip( "Edges which are gets effected by the Edge Transformation" )]
    35.         [SerializeField] private Edges RelativeEdges = Edges.C;
    36.         [Range( 0f, 1.5f )]
    37.         [Tooltip( "Multiplier to create Edges which goes inside the shape" )]
    38.         [SerializeField] private float IntrovertedEdgeValueMultiplier = 0.5f;
    39.         [Range( 0f, 3f )]
    40.         [Tooltip( "Multiplier to create Edges which goes outside the shape" )]
    41.         [SerializeField] private float ExtrovertedEdgeValueMultiplier = 1f;
    43.         [Header( "Flat Look" )]
    44.         [Tooltip( "If using Flat Surface the faces are not rounded anymore" )]
    45.         [SerializeField] private bool UseFlatSurface = true;
    47.         [Tooltip( "Lower means more chance of having a flat surface on the blocks" )]
    48.         [Range( 0, 6 )]
    49.         [SerializeField] private byte HighPolyIncreaseFlatSurface = 0;
    51.         #endregion
    53.         #region Helper_Variables
    54.         // INSTANCES
    55.         private static Dictionary<Voxeland, LowPolifyVoxeland> instances = new Dictionary<Voxeland, LowPolifyVoxeland>();
    56.         [HideInInspector] public Voxeland _voxeland;
    57.         private static Dictionary<Voxeland, Quaternion> voxelandRotations = new Dictionary<Voxeland, Quaternion>();
    59.         [Flags]
    60.         public enum Edges
    61.         {
    62.             A = 1,
    63.             B = 2,
    64.             C = 4,
    65.             D = 8
    66.         }
    67.         #endregion
    69.         #region Instance_Logic
    71.         protected void Awake()
    72.         {
    73.             CheckForInstances();
    74.         }
    76.         protected void OnEnable()
    77.         {
    78.             CheckForInstances();
    79.         }
    81.         protected void OnDisable()
    82.         {
    83.             RemoveInstance();
    84.         }
    86.         protected void OnDestroy()
    87.         {
    88.             RemoveInstance();
    89.         }
    91.         protected void LateUpdate()
    92.         {
    93.             CheckForInstances();
    94.         }
    96.         private void CheckForInstances() {
    97.             if ( _voxeland == null )
    98.             {
    99.                 _voxeland = this.GetComponent<Voxeland>();
    100.                 if ( _voxeland == null )
    101.                 {
    102.                     _voxeland = FindObjectOfType<Voxeland>();
    103.                 }
    104.             }
    105.             if ( _voxeland != null && instances.ContainsKey( _voxeland ) == false )
    106.             {
    107.                 instances.Add( _voxeland, this );
    109.                 // ALSO ROTATIONS
    110.                 voxelandRotations.Add( _voxeland, _voxeland.transform.rotation );
    111.             }
    112.             else if ( _voxeland != null && instances.ContainsKey( _voxeland ) )
    113.             {
    114.                 if ( instances[ _voxeland ] == null ) instances[ _voxeland ] = this;
    116.                 // ALSO ROTATIONS
    117.                 voxelandRotations[ _voxeland ] = _voxeland.transform.rotation;
    118.             }
    119.         }
    121.         private void RemoveInstance() {
    122.             if ( _voxeland == null ) return;
    123.             if ( instances.ContainsKey( _voxeland ) ) instances.Remove( _voxeland );
    124.             if ( voxelandRotations.ContainsKey( _voxeland ) ) voxelandRotations.Remove( _voxeland );
    125.         }
    127.         public static LowPolifyVoxeland GetValidInstance( Voxeland voxeland ) {
    128.             if ( instances.ContainsKey( voxeland ) ) return instances[ voxeland ];
    129.             else return null;
    130.         }
    132.         #endregion
    134.         public static void LowPolyMesh( ChunkMesh.Face[] faces, Vector3[] verts, Voxeland voxeland )
    135.         {
    136. #if WDEBUG
    137.                 if(!ThreadWorker.multithreading) Profiler.BeginSample ("Generate Low Poly Mesh");
    138. #endif
    140.             var _instance = GetValidInstance( voxeland );
    142.             if ( _instance == null || _instance != null && !_instance.UseLowPolyMesh ) { return; }
    144.             // NEW CALCULATION
    145.             _instance.LPFaceCalulation( faces, verts, voxelandRotations[ voxeland ] );
    147. #if WDEBUG
    148.                 if (!ThreadWorker.multithreading) Profiler.EndSample ();
    149. #endif
    150.         }
    152.         #region New_Calulation
    154.         private void LPFaceCalulation( ChunkMesh.Face[] faces, Vector3[] verts, Quaternion voxelandRotation )
    155.         {
    157.             Quaternion up = voxelandRotation * Quaternion.LookRotation( Vector3.up );
    158.             Quaternion down = voxelandRotation * Quaternion.LookRotation( Vector3.down );
    159.             Quaternion right = voxelandRotation * Quaternion.LookRotation( Vector3.right );
    160.             Quaternion left = voxelandRotation * Quaternion.LookRotation( Vector3.left );
    161.             Quaternion forward = voxelandRotation * Quaternion.LookRotation( Vector3.forward );
    162.             Quaternion backward = voxelandRotation * Quaternion.LookRotation( -Vector3.forward );
    164.             HashSet<Vector3> editedTriesForTriangles = new HashSet<Vector3>();
    166.             for ( int i = 0; i < faces.Length; i++ )
    167.             {
    168.                 ChunkMesh.Face face = faces[ i ];
    170.                 Quaternion faceRotation;
    171.                 CalculateRotations( face, out faceRotation, up, down, right, left, forward, backward );
    173.                 bool IsRandomTriangleRatio;
    174.                 Vector3 FaceCenterPoint;
    175.                 EditTrianglesEdges( face, verts, editedTriesForTriangles, faceRotation, out IsRandomTriangleRatio, out FaceCenterPoint );
    176.             }
    178.             for ( int i = 0; i < faces.Length; i++ )
    179.             {
    180.                 ChunkMesh.Face face = faces[ i ];
    182.                 bool IsRandomFlatSurfaceRatio;
    183.                 EditEdgeSidesAndCenters( face, verts, editedTriesForTriangles, out IsRandomFlatSurfaceRatio );
    184.             }
    185.         }
    187.         #region Main_Functions
    189.         private void CalculateRotations( ChunkMesh.Face face, out Quaternion faceRotation, Quaternion up, Quaternion down, Quaternion right, Quaternion left, Quaternion forward, Quaternion backward )
    190.         {
    192.             // dir
    193.             // 0 UP
    194.             // 1 DOWN
    195.             // 2 RIGHT
    196.             // 3 LEFT
    197.             // 4 FORWARD
    198.             // 5 BACK
    200.             faceRotation = Quaternion.identity;
    202.             if ( face.coord.dir == 0 ) faceRotation = up;
    203.             if ( face.coord.dir == 1 ) faceRotation = down;
    204.             if ( face.coord.dir == 2 ) faceRotation = right;
    205.             if ( face.coord.dir == 3 ) faceRotation = left;
    206.             if ( face.coord.dir == 4 ) faceRotation = forward;
    207.             if ( face.coord.dir == 5 ) faceRotation = backward;
    208.         }
    210.         private void EditTrianglesEdges( ChunkMesh.Face face, Vector3[] verts, HashSet<Vector3> editedTriangles, Quaternion faceRot, out bool IsRatio, out Vector3 faceCenter )
    211.         {
    213.             float distanceCenter = getAverageDistanceToMidPoint( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ], verts[ face.cornerNums.b ], verts[ face.cornerNums.c ], verts[ face.cornerNums.d ] ) * 0.001f;
    214.             if ( distanceCenter < 0.05f ) distanceCenter = 0.15f;
    215.             faceCenter = verts[ face.centerNum ] + faceRot * ( -Vector3.forward * distanceCenter );
    217.             int byteIndex = face.coord.x + face.coord.y + face.coord.z;
    218.             IsRatio = HighPolyIncreaseEdges == 0 ? true :( ( byteIndex + HighPolyIncreaseRandomizationSeed ) % HighPolyIncreaseEdges ) == 0;
    220.             if ( !UseEdgesTransformation ) return;
    222.             bool upOrDownRatio = ( ( byteIndex + HighPolyIncreaseRandomizationSeed ) % 2 ) == 0;
    224.             if ( IsRatio && ( upOrDownRatio && ExtrovertedEdgeValueMultiplier < 0.01f || upOrDownRatio == false && IntrovertedEdgeValueMultiplier < 0.01f ) == false && face.coord.dir != 0 )
    225.             {
    227.                 if ( RelativeEdges.HasFlag( Edges.A ) )
    228.                 {
    229.                     if ( !editedTriangles.Contains( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ] ) )
    230.                     {
    231.                         float distance = Vector3.Distance( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ], faceCenter ) + 0.001f;
    233.                         Quaternion cToA = Quaternion.LookRotation( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ] - faceCenter );
    235.                         verts[ face.cornerNums.a ] += cToA * ( Vector3.forward * ( distance * ( upOrDownRatio ? ( ExtrovertedEdgeValueMultiplier ) : ( IntrovertedEdgeValueMultiplier ) ) ) * ( upOrDownRatio ? 0.5f : -0.5f ) );
    237.                         editedTriangles.Add( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ] );
    238.                     }
    239.                 }
    240.                 if ( RelativeEdges.HasFlag( Edges.B ) )
    241.                 {
    242.                     if ( !editedTriangles.Contains( verts[ face.cornerNums.b ] ) )
    243.                     {
    244.                         float distance = Vector3.Distance( verts[ face.cornerNums.b ], faceCenter ) + 0.001f;
    246.                         Quaternion cToB = Quaternion.LookRotation( verts[ face.cornerNums.b ] - faceCenter );
    248.                         verts[ face.cornerNums.b ] += cToB * ( Vector3.forward * ( distance * ( upOrDownRatio ? ( ExtrovertedEdgeValueMultiplier ) : ( IntrovertedEdgeValueMultiplier ) ) ) * ( upOrDownRatio ? 0.5f : -0.5f ) );
    250.                         editedTriangles.Add( verts[ face.cornerNums.b ] );
    251.                     }
    252.                 }
    253.                 if ( RelativeEdges.HasFlag( Edges.C ) )
    254.                 {
    255.                     if ( !editedTriangles.Contains( verts[ face.cornerNums.c ] ) )
    256.                     {
    257.                         float distance = Vector3.Distance( verts[ face.cornerNums.c ], faceCenter ) + 0.001f;
    259.                         Quaternion cToC = Quaternion.LookRotation( verts[ face.cornerNums.c ] - faceCenter );
    261.                         verts[ face.cornerNums.c ] += cToC * ( Vector3.forward * ( distance * ( upOrDownRatio ? ( ExtrovertedEdgeValueMultiplier ) : ( IntrovertedEdgeValueMultiplier ) ) ) * ( upOrDownRatio ? 0.5f : -0.5f ) );
    263.                         editedTriangles.Add( verts[ face.cornerNums.c ] );
    264.                     }
    265.                 }
    266.                 if ( RelativeEdges.HasFlag( Edges.D ) )
    267.                 {
    268.                     if ( !editedTriangles.Contains( verts[ face.cornerNums.d ] ) )
    269.                     {
    270.                         float distance = Vector3.Distance( verts[ face.cornerNums.d ], faceCenter ) + 0.001f;
    272.                         Quaternion cToD = Quaternion.LookRotation( verts[ face.cornerNums.d ] - faceCenter );
    274.                         verts[ face.cornerNums.d ] += cToD * ( Vector3.forward * ( distance * ( upOrDownRatio ? ( ExtrovertedEdgeValueMultiplier ) : ( IntrovertedEdgeValueMultiplier ) ) ) * ( upOrDownRatio ? 0.5f : -0.5f ) );
    276.                         editedTriangles.Add( verts[ face.cornerNums.d ] );
    277.                     }
    278.                 }
    279.             }
    280.         }
    282.         private void EditEdgeSidesAndCenters( ChunkMesh.Face face, Vector3[] verts, HashSet<Vector3> editedTriangles, out bool IsRatio )
    283.         {
    284.             bool isA = editedTriangles.Contains( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ] );
    285.             bool isB = editedTriangles.Contains( verts[ face.cornerNums.b ] );
    286.             bool isC = editedTriangles.Contains( verts[ face.cornerNums.c ] );
    287.             bool isD = editedTriangles.Contains( verts[ face.cornerNums.d ] );
    290.             int byteIndex = face.coord.x + face.coord.y + face.coord.z;
    291.             IsRatio = HighPolyIncreaseFlatSurface == 0 ? true : ( ( byteIndex + HighPolyIncreaseRandomizationSeed ) % HighPolyIncreaseFlatSurface ) == 0;
    293.             if ( isA )
    294.             {
    295.                 verts[ face.sideNums.a ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ], verts[ face.cornerNums.b ] );
    296.                 verts[ face.sideNums.d ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.d ], verts[ face.cornerNums.a ] );
    298.                 if ( UseFlatSurface && IsRatio )
    299.                 {
    300.                     // CENTERS
    301.                     verts[ face.centerNum ] = middleCenterNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ], verts[ face.cornerNums.b ], verts[ face.cornerNums.c ], verts[ face.cornerNums.d ] );
    303.                     // SIDES
    304.                     if ( !isC )
    305.                     {
    306.                         verts[ face.sideNums.b ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.b ], verts[ face.cornerNums.c ] );
    307.                         verts[ face.sideNums.c ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.c ], verts[ face.cornerNums.d ] );
    308.                     }
    309.                 }
    310.             }
    311.             if ( isB )
    312.             {
    313.                 verts[ face.sideNums.b ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.b ], verts[ face.cornerNums.c ] );
    314.                 verts[ face.sideNums.a ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ], verts[ face.cornerNums.b ] );
    316.                 if ( UseFlatSurface && IsRatio )
    317.                 {
    318.                     // CENTERS
    319.                     verts[ face.centerNum ] = middleCenterNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ], verts[ face.cornerNums.b ], verts[ face.cornerNums.c ], verts[ face.cornerNums.d ] );
    321.                     // SIDES
    322.                     if ( !isD )
    323.                     {
    324.                         verts[ face.sideNums.c ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.c ], verts[ face.cornerNums.d ] );
    325.                         verts[ face.sideNums.d ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.d ], verts[ face.cornerNums.a ] );
    326.                     }
    327.                 }
    328.             }
    329.             if ( isC )
    330.             {
    331.                 verts[ face.sideNums.c ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.c ], verts[ face.cornerNums.d ] );
    332.                 verts[ face.sideNums.b ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.b ], verts[ face.cornerNums.c ] );
    334.                 if ( UseFlatSurface && IsRatio )
    335.                 {
    336.                     // CENTERS
    337.                     verts[ face.centerNum ] = middleCenterNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ], verts[ face.cornerNums.b ], verts[ face.cornerNums.c ], verts[ face.cornerNums.d ] );
    339.                     // SIDES
    340.                     if ( !isA )
    341.                     {
    342.                         verts[ face.sideNums.d ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.d ], verts[ face.cornerNums.a ] );
    343.                         verts[ face.sideNums.a ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ], verts[ face.cornerNums.b ] );
    344.                     }
    345.                 }
    346.             }
    347.             if ( isD )
    348.             {
    349.                 verts[ face.sideNums.d ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.d ], verts[ face.cornerNums.a ] );
    350.                 verts[ face.sideNums.c ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.c ], verts[ face.cornerNums.d ] );
    352.                 if ( UseFlatSurface && IsRatio )
    353.                 {
    354.                     // CENTERS
    355.                     verts[ face.centerNum ] = middleCenterNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ], verts[ face.cornerNums.b ], verts[ face.cornerNums.c ], verts[ face.cornerNums.d ] );
    357.                     // SIDES
    358.                     if ( !isB )
    359.                     {
    360.                         verts[ face.sideNums.a ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ], verts[ face.cornerNums.b ] );
    361.                         verts[ face.sideNums.b ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.b ], verts[ face.cornerNums.c ] );
    362.                     }
    363.                 }
    364.             }
    366.             if ( UseFlatSurface && IsRatio )
    367.             {
    368.                 if ( !isA && !isB && !isC && !isD )
    369.                 {
    370.                     // SIDES
    371.                     verts[ face.sideNums.a ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ], verts[ face.cornerNums.b ] );
    372.                     verts[ face.sideNums.b ] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.b ], verts[ face.cornerNums.c ] );
    374.                     verts[ face.sideNums.c ] = flattenSideNumber(  verts[ face.cornerNums.c ], verts[ face.cornerNums.d ] );
    375.                     verts[ face.sideNums.d ] = flattenSideNumber(  verts[ face.cornerNums.d ], verts[ face.cornerNums.a ] );
    377.                     // CENTER
    378.                     verts[face.centerNum] = flattenSideNumber( verts[ face.cornerNums.a ], verts[ face.cornerNums.c ] );
    379.                 }
    380.             }
    381.         }
    383.         #endregion
    385.         #region Helper_Functions
    387.         private Vector3 flattenSideNumber( Vector3 edgeA, Vector3 edgeB )
    388.         {
    389.             float sideDistance = Vector3.Distance( edgeA, edgeB );
    390.             if ( sideDistance > 0.001f )
    391.             {
    392.                 Quaternion sideRot = Quaternion.LookRotation( edgeB - edgeA );
    394.                 return edgeA + sideRot * Vector3.forward * sideDistance * 0.5f;
    395.             }
    396.             else
    397.             {
    398.                 return edgeA;
    399.             }
    400.         }
    402.         private Vector3 middleCenterNumber( Vector3 edgeA, Vector3 edgeB, Vector3 edgeC, Vector3 edgeD )
    403.         {
    404.            return calculateAverageVector( new Vector3[] { edgeA, edgeB, edgeC, edgeD } );
    405.         }
    407.         private Vector3 calculateAverageVector( Vector3[] vArray )
    408.         {
    409.             if ( vArray.Length == 0 )
    410.                 return Vector3.zero;
    411.             float x = 0f;
    412.             float y = 0f;
    413.             float z = 0f;
    414.             for ( int i = 0; i < vArray.Length; i++ )
    415.             {
    416.                 x += vArray[ i ].x;
    417.                 y += vArray[ i ].y;
    418.                 z += vArray[ i ].z;
    419.             }
    420.             return new Vector3( x / vArray.Length, y / vArray.Length, z / vArray.Length );
    421.         }
    423.         private float getAverageDistanceToMidPoint( Vector3 edgeA, Vector3 edgeB, Vector3 edgeC, Vector3 edgeD )
    424.         {
    426.             Vector3 midPoint = calculateAverageVector( new Vector3[] { edgeA, edgeB, edgeC, edgeD } );
    428.             return ( Vector3.Distance( edgeA, midPoint ) + Vector3.Distance( edgeB, midPoint ) + Vector3.Distance( edgeC, midPoint ) + Vector3.Distance( edgeD, midPoint ) ) / 4f;
    429.         }
    431.         #endregion
    433.         #endregion
    434.     }
    436.     #region Editor
    438. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    439.     [CustomEditor(typeof(LowPolifyVoxeland))]
    440.     public class LowPolifyVoxelandEditor : Editor
    441.     {
    442.         LowPolifyVoxeland script;
    444.         public override void OnInspectorGUI()
    445.         {
    446.             base.OnInspectorGUI();
    448.             if ( script == null )
    449.             {
    450.                 script = target as LowPolifyVoxeland;
    451.             }
    453.             if ( script._voxeland != null )
    454.             {
    455.                 GUILayout.Space( 25f );
    456.                 if ( GUILayout.Button( "Rebuild Voxeland" ) )
    457.                 {
    458.                     script._voxeland.Rebuild();
    459.                 }
    460.             }
    461.         }
    462.     }
    463. #endif
    465.     #endregion
    466. }
    2. Add this Line in Chunk.cs ​
    Code (csharp):
    2. // EDITED
    3.             Fox.Flow.LowPolifyVoxeland.LowPolyMesh( faces, verts, voxeland );
    NOTE: You need to add these lines in "CalculateMesh()" under "RelaxMesh" like in this image shown:
    2020-04-08 03_29_50-.jpg

3. Add Low Polify Voxeland under your existing Voxeland

4. Rebuild the Chunks

NOTE: Best values are 2 Relax Strength 1 Relax Iteration ( <- Found in the Voxeland.cs Settings ) and the default values of the Low Polify Voxeland Script, but that's just my personal preference..

Thanks for your time :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2020
    drcfrx and mrs26 like this.
  7. Wright

Wright

I've got a bug report saying that Voxeland asset crashes on import in Unity 2019.3.7f1 on Mac. I'll try to look into this as soon as get to my mac or at least set up remote connection with it.
    Will look into the seam issue too btw.

This seems to be related with the floating point precision. Usually changing light's near and far plane settings helps to find the right bias between black artifacts and shadow disappearing for small objects on the big worlds.

Excellent work! Feel free to publish it on the Asset Store, it deserves it!
    However instead of modifying chunk.cs I can add an event here in the next version.

P_Jong and mrs26 like this.
  8. BrettBibby

BrettBibby

Chief Product Officer Unity Technologies

I'm the one that reported the bug, glad it's landed with you. I don't know if they also told you but we found that removing/unchecking these two files in the popup window before import allows the asset to import without crashing Unity 2019.3.7:
    “Assets/Voxeland/TextureArrayInspector/Demo/BumpMap.asset”
    and “Assets/Voxeland/TextureArrayInspector/Demo/MainTex.asset”

P_Jong likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, I will see if this script gets much attention and maybe I publish it on the Asset Store for free, we will see...
    And an event would be Amazing, this would quite simplify the process for new Developer.

Also Updated the Script to a newer recent version, here the change Log from recent Feedback:

- Made the variable names more clear
    - Changed Edge Transformation Randomization also to always have effect if needed
    - Added Randomization for the Flat Surface
    - Added Unregister of the Instance on Disable and Destroy
    - Edge Transform Enum is now with the Flags Attribute to select more edges at once

I updated the code of the Low Polify Voxeland Script here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/voxeland-voxel-terrain-tool.187741/page-49#post-5683954

But for now, I let it be how it is and focus on my game for now as this also requires attention.

seba16obacz and mrs26 like this.
  10. mrs26

mrs26

Hey Wright,
    a while ago you sent me a new "Data.cs" with a fix for my problem with the artifacts that appeared when using the smooth brush. Just wanted to ask you when the fix will make it into the official Voxeland asset.

11. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

I'm interested in finding a tool to create a mine/tunnel system. I need to have both vertical shafts and sloping tunnels. There doesn't need to be any connection to an exterior terrain. Would you recommend Voxeland for this kind of layout?

12. ScottKane

ScottKane

I'm trying to use Voxeland with MapMagic (which is working nicely), how can I use Vegetation Studio Pro output in MapMagic with a Voxeland terrain? is there a way to convert the top level mesh into a Terrain so that the terrain can be added in Vegetation System Pro?

13. ScottKane

ScottKane

Can anyone answer please? From what I can tell, the problem is that the Voxeland chunks don't always have a mesh assigned which means when I set Voxeland as a "Raycast Terrain" in VS Pro, there is no collider for the raycast to hit, causing there to be no objects spawned on the terrain.

14. ScottKane

ScottKane

Actually they do spawn but only if I disable/re-enable the VS Pro system, is there some event in Voxeland I can use to know when a new chunk has loaded around the camera?

15. ScottKane

ScottKane

So I have been able to get assets to spawn through VS Pro onto the Voxeland terrain by adding the VS Pro "Raycast Terrain" component to the Voxeland object and enabled "Copy Components to Chunk" which causes the VS Pro package assets to spawn in the world but causes lag spikes when moving between chunks. This also doesn't hook up to the MapMagic VS Pro output node, so cannot use scatter objects from MapMagic to use VS Pro with Voxeland.

Please can I get some support?

16. visualjump3d

visualjump3d

Hi !!! can i also use Voxel with MicroSplat terrain?

17. Victor_cross

Victor_cross

Hey Wright Any chance of there being a paid Multiplayer plugin for voxeland and mapmagic with a saving capacity?

18. Radu392

Radu392

Has anyone figured how to use lightmapping with this asset? Been going over previous pages but couldn't find much.

Things I tried:

Used Unity's FBX Exporter from the package manager on a child chunk. The mesh turned out fine, except for the tangents. I had to go into the mesh settings and set tangents to 'None' in order to get real time lighting to work. I turned on 'Generate Lightmap UVs' then started baking my new static chunk, but it just turns out black with a very faint white near the light source. That faintness doesn't change no matter what intensity I select.

This is how it looks like with tangents enabled (realtime light intensity 200):

This is how it looks like without tangents (realtime light intensity 5):

Finally, this is how it looks like when baked (tangent settings or light settings doesn't change the outcome):

19. Imakhiil

Imakhiil

Hi. Is Voxeland compatible with Mapmagic 2?

sdf and rickcollette like this.
  20. Zante

Zante

Does voxeland support mesh brushes and can it produce terrain verticality similar to the examples shown below? (From Trackmania 2)

See the start of this video for more info, I asusme it's also using a voxel-based solution rather than a mesh-based one?

21. dajnooo

dajnooo

Im getting some strange shapes every time I use Voxeland with Map Magic 1. How can I fix this?

Also how can I get grass with Map Magic and Voxeland? I added grass and gave it a texture and connected it to the grass node in MM like this:

Is there something else I need to do? There's no tutorial so I have to ask here.

@Wright

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  22. qpuilie

qpuilie

Hello,I have a question about the map data.
    My Map size is 300*300,but the map I saved is 16M in size.
    even though i set param "pinnedOnly" is true,the file size is 1M.
    It's terrible to send 1M data on the net.
    can you give my some hints?thanks!

this is my save code:

Attached Files:

23. iraway

iraway

Hey there, I have a pretty straightforward setup with MagMagic 1 powering the generation of a Voxeland terrain. So far seems to be working well, my AI can traverse it fine and I am able to walk across it with a third party TPS style controller just fine.

The issue I'm running into is that any raycasts that I attempt to do to the terrain seem to be failing. The rays just go through the terrain, when cast from above. I'm trying to use this to determine exactly what height to place some custom objects at but haven't been able to get it to work so far. Is there something with the way the chunk meshes are created that would be expected to make this not work?

Thanks for your work, very good stuff.

24. gordowebdesign

gordowebdesign

Does Voxeland work with Polaris or Polaris type terrains?

25. zrocweb

zrocweb

Not that I'm aware of...

26. jovino

jovino

Polaris actually works in realtime, but you need to dive into the examples to know how to make your own thing.

27. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

is it possible to convert a voxeland into a bunch of meshes?

28. delusches

delusches

Can somebody explaine me why im getting those cliffs while working with mapmagic and biomes?
    The two biomes only have normal noises as parameter.
    Help Please

29. WILEz1975

WILEz1975

I have a question.
    Does this asset work with Unity's terrain?
    Or does it create a terrain of its own?
    Is it possible to create "pieces" with Voxeland that integrate with normal Unity terrain?

Basically, I already have my own land made with normal Unity terrain, I would simply like to create caves on it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  30. zrocweb

zrocweb

Short answer, yes. Long answer;- You can but only if your not using infinite terrains in run-time. It will also take some tweaking to stitch/blend the terrains together. But I've done it for a similar reason. Aside from that, you really can't create "pieces" of Voxeland as it uses Map Magic(1) as its base generator before final render of it's generated meshes

31. zrocweb

zrocweb

First glance of just these nodes, your noise generator has a rather large "size" value. Try to reduce that and see if it changes/helps. Also, drop the detail down to .1 or even lower... shouldn't need it for just the noise here.

32. dienat

dienat

Anyone knows how this works? i just get a blank terrain, i read the manua but doesnt clarify anything

33. Lesnikus5

Lesnikus5

Have you tried running a demo scene?

34. dienat

dienat

Demo had black terrain dont know why, i got to solve it creating a new terrain using a material with the voxeland shader

35. CodeEmperor

CodeEmperor

I have a terrain that i made with unity built in terrain generator that I want voxelized, can VoxelLand do that?

36. syscrusher

syscrusher

One approach would be to generate a heightmap from the Unity terrain, then import that image into MapMagic, which is a procedural terrain tool that can generate Voxeland output. There may be a better way than this.

37. kamicth

kamicth

i'm using space graphic toolkit to generate and populate several systems at scale.
    i'm not satisfied with the terain gneneration of planets (witch does not use unity terrain but meshes)
    Voxeland would replace this feature if it intended for LODed multi tiles planet sized spherical terrain.

so is it possible to use VOXELAND for this purpose ?

38. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

I tried this a while ago. It is possible, but the planets were not very big. Unfortunately, it is simply not designed for spherical terrain.

39. kamicth

kamicth

Since 2017 SGT had heavily evolved and introduce a new style of planets based on spherical LODed multi tiled meshes
    it allow real scale sized planet with still hight terrain details at walktrough scale.
    is it possible to use planets meshes as base meshes for multiples voxelland terrains tiled around ?

did you droped an eye on it since last time ?

wath is "Horizont Mesh" ?
    is it a voxeland restriction ?
    if so, is it the result of a unique big terrain or is it something else ?

40. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

I haven't used Voxeland in a while, but if I remember correctly, the horizon mesh is a low resolution version of the voxel terrain that only works superficially. i.e. it works in principle like a terrain, but doesn't show the hollows and corridors underneath. this is handy if you want to look into the distance without calculating all the voxels.

If you have a spherical planet, it does not work, because it is not designed to extend spherically around the planet, but only like a planar terrain. That's how I remember it, but I could be wrong.

I haven't worked much with SGT and don't know the new features. There is still Planetary Terrain from simitr0, so you can create very large planets, but I miss here just too many functions, not comparable with MapMagic or Voxeland and also not voxel-based at all, so you will not be able to dig there.

41. BradZoob

BradZoob

Does this voxel generator use GPGPU or is it a cpu/thread bound processor?

42. syscrusher

syscrusher

Here is another possibility to consider: Render the LOD versions of planets, seen from orbital or greater distance, as spherical meshes, but for closer approaches consider using a flat terrain solution with one of the shader-based curvature simulators, such as Curved World. (Curved World is just the example that came to mind; I'm not specifically recommending one tool or another for your project.)

43. apiapo

apiapo

Hello,

I just have an issues, or maybe it's normal ?
    I use Unity 2019.4 and If I try to import Voxeland in HDRP channel I have a compilation issues.
    "Assets\Voxeland\Main\DataHolder.cs(8,9): error CS0118: 'Data' is a namespace but is used like a type"
    But non on a classic channel, it's normal, does mean Voxeland does"nt work in HD ? or i miss something ?

Please

44. BioBurden

BioBurden

Hi, demo and evaluation links on the asset page all 404.

P_Jong likes this.
  45. Tiny-Ninja

Tiny-Ninja

Hey there @Wright can Voxeland or MapMagic make cubic terrain? Like Minecraft, Cube World, etc.

46. Ohz_fr

Ohz_fr

Good days! Here I bought Voxeland a little sure in my head and I would like to have more information about a possible Nav mesh! For the moment I can not do it alone! In fact I explain it is for an RTS god mod where little have created rivers and reliefs! In short, the possibilities of nav mesh?

47. Ohz_fr

Ohz_fr

I got a result! I can make Nav mesh when I’m in edit mode! But if I launch the game the chunk edit mode disappears! And I can’t display the chunks and put them in static! Is there a solution to display the chunks in the edit I did not find in the doc

PS : resolve Dinamic limited edit mode -> chunk edit mode
    PS2 : On the documentation there is a rebake in mode and ranges! I can’t find it

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  48. Necron99

Necron99

49. haz4rd

haz4rd

Hello. Our designer team deleted some chunks. We really need to restore them. Is it possible to restore those chunks somehow without affecting the whole voxeland?

50. BlackPhoenix134

BlackPhoenix134

Hi. Is there a chance this gets a URP update?

AliceWasNeverHere and Redellion like this.