Search Unity

Voxeland - Voxel Terrain Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Jun 25, 2013.

1. yamlCase

yamlCase

Here's a little project I did with Mapmagic (spherical generators) and Voxeland.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Ascensi, Wright and AthrunVLokiz like this.
  2. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

Hm, errors in 2017.3.1p1 and 2017.3.1p4

voxelandError.png

3. Wright

Wright

What were you doing when this error occurred? Are there any steps to reproduce it?

4. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

No I just imported the asset into new (blank project) Unity installation (for both versions). Re-imported multiple times, got same warnings/errors (and I am pretty sure newer Unity version gave one more warning).

P_Jong likes this.
  5. Wright

Wright

Hmm, looks like it should not happen in an other project since one of the texture arrays is causing this. The worst thing it could not be related with Voxeland at all. If only you could send me all of the texture arrays from your project I would surely take a look (but I do understand it could be troublesome).

6. Aress28

Aress28

can i add voxeland to existing mapmagic terrain?if yes ,is there any tutorial?i can find only one where u start with voxeland not with mapmagic..

7. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

There is nothing in the project (not even a terrain), it's empty. I only imported Voxeland to a empty project.

EDIT: Could this be the same thing? I honestly just don't get Unity. Random errors that make no sense (to non programmers like me lol) every new or old version.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    P_Jong likes this.
  8. Ivy-SM

Ivy-SM

Hi,
    I have a few problems regarding MapMagic+Voxeland integration.
    When placing some objects with Scatter (with relative height on the voxeland objects node), I noticed that they are always placed 0.5m higher than the ground. My ground level is currently at 50% of the terrain height and the terrain is absolutely flat, if that matters. I tried to reposition them with an Adjust node, but then the objects move 0.5m below the ground - seems like their transition is snapped to 1m intervals.
    Also changing rotation and scale in the Adjust node doesn't have effect on the placed objects.

9. Wright

Wright

Weird thing - I've got no error in empty project. Guess it depends on Unity version. Mine were 5.6 and 2017.3

That's right - Voxeland objects position is snapped to block. Actually, there is no "position", it's just a block type in a data like cliff or mud, but it's spawning an object instead of land surface. It does not store transform Vector3 anywhere.

10. hummer_4x4

hummer_4x4

Denis Pahunov, привет я использую VoxelLand + MapMagic Free и при попытке создать ландшафт через MapMagic в редакторе пишет что добавьте символ, добавляю вылазит ошибка namespace MapMagic.Graph что отсуствует.

__

hi I use VoxelLand + MapMagic Free and in attempt to create a landscape through MapMagic writes in the editor that add a symbol, I add MapMagic.Graph error gets out that otsustvut.

11. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

Which version are you using exactly? I tried it in 2017.3.0p4 and still same error.

P_Jong likes this.
  12. Ivy-SM

Ivy-SM

Alright, I get that - we'll fix it by adding the object in an empty game object, so we can move the pivot down 0.5m.
    Is that the same reason why the objects cannot be rotated and scaled with mapmagic adjust node - because they are treated as blocks?

13. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

@Wright - Did you ever get a chance to figure out that gethash/missing assembly reference error was that I was getting after applying your patch (to fix another hard stop error) in Unity 2017.2.2?

P_Jong likes this.
  14. lordhoodie1

lordhoodie1

hi, I'm wondering if I buy this will my game players be able to deform terrain ingame with pickaxes etc?.
    would love to be able to dig down into terrain from gameplay. thanks looking great :)

sorry if this has been asked so many pages to go through.

15. Wright

Wright

Hi. Could you please clarify what the error is or just post it here?
    Не могли бы вы копировать и вставить здесь текст ошибки?

That's right.

Try using this fix - or just ignore it, it does not affect anything.

Yes, here is the fix.

You can change the terrain in playmode, but note that Voxeland is a terrain engine, it does not comes with pickaxe animation, block "life" script, etc.

16. hummer_4x4

hummer_4x4

1. Assets/Voxeland/Tools/Extensions/Texture2DExtensions.cs(314,36): error CS0117: `UnityEditor.BuildTarget' does not contain a definition for `StandaloneOSX' Replace to "StandaloneOSXIntel"
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. Voxeland5.VoxelandEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Voxeland/Editor/VoxelandEditor.cs:711)
    3. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, System.Int32 editorIndex, System.Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1242)
    4. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Add check if (voxeland.data != null)
    3. Select method generate MapMagic, write MapMagic not installed. OK, add define symbol MAPMAGIC
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Severity    Code    Description    Project    File    Line    Suppression State
    2. Error    CS0234    The type or namespace name 'Graph' does not exist in the namespace 'MapMagic' (are you missing an assembly reference?)    ReadyGame#1.Editor    D:\ProgramData\Documents\ReadyGame#1\Assets\Voxeland\Editor\VoxelandEditor.cs    962    Active
    3. Error    CS0117    'VoxelandGrassOutput' does not contain a definition for 'voxeland'    ReadyGame#1.Editor    D:\ProgramData\Documents\ReadyGame#1\Assets\Voxeland\Editor\VoxelandEditor.cs    955    Active
    4. Error    CS0117    'VoxelandObjectsOutput' does not contain a definition for 'voxeland'    ReadyGame#1.Editor    D:\ProgramData\Documents\ReadyGame#1\Assets\Voxeland\Editor\VoxelandEditor.cs    956    Active
    5. Error    CS0117    'VoxelandOutput' does not contain a definition for 'voxeland'    ReadyGame#1.Editor    D:\ProgramData\Documents\ReadyGame#1\Assets\Voxeland\Editor\VoxelandEditor.cs    954    Active

How fix :?

17. Wright

Wright

Here is the fix for Unity 2017.1/2017.2 "StandaloneOSX" error.

18. Tagaris

Tagaris

I just updated to the most recent version. As always, you did a great job.

However, the new Land shader currently seems not to support the distant tile feature anymore, which is a pity. (edit: changing lines 81 and 346 of the Land shader fixed it)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  19. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

That worked, thank you!

20. Wright

Wright

Thanks!

Fixed.

I'm submitting a new version that will include all of the recent small fixes today.

21. Artem_mchs

Artem_mchs

Wright Добрый день, пожалуйста, я купил voxeland в надежде, что он будет использоваться для мобильных приложений, но он дает ошибку и отображает сетку в черном, возможные решения проблемы или возврат средств, поскольку это приложение не работает для меня! За более раннее спасибо!

22. Wright

Wright

All fixes are now available at the asset store.

Artem_mchs, some mobile platforms (pre- OpenGL ES 3.0) do not support texture arrays. Try disabling texture array shader. Anyways if you mention an error it's always handy to paste it here to avoid guessing.
    Некоторые мобильные платформы (до- OpenGL ES 3.0) не поддерживают текстурные массивы. Попробуйте отключить их в настройках материала. В любом случае, так как вы упоминаете ошибку было бы удобнее вставить ее сюда чтобы не гадать.

23. Artem_mchs

Artem_mchs

[QUOTE = "Ramsdal, post: 3398171, участник: 437230"] Привет Райт, я боюсь, что для меня это не имеет никакого значения. Когда я переключаюсь на ios или android, рельеф становится черным. Не могли бы вы подтвердить в Unity 2017.3.0f3, что это также и для вас. Кажется, что это связано с шейдерной моделью, когда я выключаю эмуляцию шейдеров, ландшафт отображается так, как предполагалось, а затем, когда я меняю эмуляцию шейдеров на Shader Model 2 или 3, он снова становится черным. Когда я строю свое устройство для Android, ландшафт действительно выглядит так, как должен (хотя и очень тяжелый, и с артефактами), и здесь мы говорим о довольно мощном подраздел Android.

Также я помню несколько лет назад, я пользовался более ранней версией voxeland и смоделировал ее, чтобы я мог экспортировать в сетку, что есть в любом случае? Или этот актив перешел только на ПК? :)[/ QUOTE]

24. Artem_mchs

Artem_mchs

I have the same problem as this guy.I have the same problem as this guy.

25. Zodica

Zodica

Hello new to the gaming world don't a lot yet.... Just bought this asset and seeing this in red

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Voxeland5.TextureArrayDecorator.FindAndSetSource (UnityEngine.Texture2D tex, System.String texPath, Boolean isAlpha) (at Assets/Voxeland/TextureArrayInspector/Main/TextureArrayDecorator.cs:53)

Voxeland5.TextureArrayInspectorPostprocessor.ReassignTexture (UnityEngine.Texture2D tex, System.String assetPath) (at Assets/Voxeland/TextureArrayInspector/Editor/TextureImporter.cs:51)

Voxeland5.TextureArrayInspectorPostprocessor.OnPostprocessAllAssets (System.String[] importedAssets, System.String[] deletedAssets, System.String[] movedAssets, System.String[] movedFromAssetPaths) (at Assets/Voxeland/TextureArrayInspector/Editor/TextureImporter.cs:18)

System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)

System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)

UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal.PostprocessAllAssets (System.String[] importedAssets, System.String[] addedAssets, System.String[] deletedAssets, System.String[] movedAssets, System.String[] movedFromPathAssets) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssetPostprocessor.cs:27)

When I open up Visual Studio on line 53 showing a yellow light bulb here is for (int i=0; i<srcArr.Length; i++)

26. Zodica

Zodica

I put the new script in but under the generate/generator type/Map Magic

still saying MapMagic World Generator does not seems to be installed. If you sure that you have it try restarting unity to add it's define symbol.

I have restarted it lots and tryed a new Scene.... Is there something more I need to do besides replace the script?

27. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

With new version (5.3.2), previous warnings are gone but a new warning is there (on import in clean project, haven't imported MegaSplat):

Assets/Voxeland/Main/BlockType.cs(117,11): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `MegaSplatTextureList' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Unity Version is 2017.3.1p4

28. GarrettCMiller

GarrettCMiller

Hi Denis! I've been using Voxeland for almost 5 years now and absolutely love it. However, lately I've been having an issue with rebuilding. It's the exact same issue as described back in Sept 2017 by username "gnoll": I make several hours of changes to the map and save it. Sometimes when loading the scene in the editor to make changes at a later time, changes are not made when I use the brush (or at least not visibly shown).

So when I hit "Rebuild" (not "Generate"), all the changes I've made up to a certain point disappear (which point is unknown to me until after it occurs). If I *don't* save at that point, close the scene and reload it, the level is just fine again (as I designed it) but editing the voxel data seems to make no difference still until I hit rebuild, which as stated, resets MUCH, if not all, of my data.

What was the solution you gave to "gnoll"? I noticed that they didn't post anymore on the issue after the one where you asked them to email their scene, so I assume it was solved.

29. Wright

Wright

Artem_mchs, try this shader (replace it in both Shaders and Tools/Shaders folders).

Zodica, you should enable compatibility by opening Window > MapMagic > Compatibility and enabling both Voxeland and MapMagic.

TalkieTalkie, are you sure the project is clean? Could it be so that it had MegaSplat installed, but then you have removed it? If so in Edit > Project Setting > Player erase everything in the line Scripting Define Symbols.

GarrettCMiller, I don't remember that scene or me fixing it. Are you storing your voxel data in scene or the separate asset file?

30. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

Heh, I found Megasplat under Symbols, deleted it, imported Voxeland again and got this (btw, same things show up when importing in a new clean project and scene):

errorVoxeland.png

Haha, I have no idea why I get all these errors with Voxeland only.

31. P_Jong

P_Jong

Edit: Nevermind. I went back to a backup using an older version of Voxeland that is working with Unity 2017.3.1p1

Also when I was at the corners of my static map and looked across at the far opposite corner, FPS would drop to 45. I erased away about half the land that was under water and moverd some play areas closer to the center. I now am now at a constant 90 FPS in all play areas in VR.

Right now my game has only about 3% performance headroom with my Nvidia GTX 1070. I need a bit more headroom to support the GTX 970 which is the minimum requirement by Oculus.

Wright do you have any suggestions on settings I could play around with in Voxeland that might give me a bit more performance headroom in VR?

I would like to have over 20%.

This did not work for me. I'm still getting "
    Assets/Voxeland/Tools/Extensions/Texture2DExtensions.cs(232,16): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Texture2D' does not contain a definition for `imageContentsHash' and no extension method `imageContentsHash' of type `UnityEngine.Texture2D' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?"
    I'm using Voxeland 5.3.2 in Unity 2017.3.1p1.

Was there another patch you gave trilobyteme that I should be using?
    Thanks,

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  32. Ascensi

Ascensi

@Wright Hi Denis were you able to add the update for Megasplat Brush compatible mode? or is this update maybe coming later with your spline system?

33. Wright

Wright

Try disabling Anisotropic Filtration (when using texture arrays) in General material settings. It should greatly increase the texture sampling performance which is the bottleneck for multi-channel triplanar shader.

Hmmm, seems to be this variable is available in one unity version only - 2017.3.0. Previous 2017.2 or next 2017.3.1 do not have it exposed, or I might be missing something. Try this fix.

Haven't look into it yet.

P_Jong likes this.
  34. GarrettCMiller

GarrettCMiller

Sorry for the late response Denis.

I've been storing the data in scene but lately have been trying to every so often make a backup asset file along the way (Save As Copy).

The posting by (I mispelled the username last time slightly) gn0ll is on page 30 of this thread, near the top. That person has/had the exact same issue I'm having and I assume since I didn't see anymore posts from them, that the issue was resolved. I may be wrong.

35. Wright

Wright

Don't know exactly how it was fixed (since it was half a year ago), but I can recommend you trying to release the asset file and save the voxel data in scene (if possible) - at least to do the testing. It will not involve the asset file part so this way we can find out if the problem is in it.

36. P_Jong

P_Jong

Thank you. That fixed the compile issue I was having.

37. trelobyte

trelobyte

Hi i dont know if this has been asked before but does voxeland support conversion of textured obj to voxeland ?

38. Wright

Wright

Unfortunately, it does not. It's more of a terrain engine rather than universal sculpting software, so it's focused towards the heightmaps more than objects.

39. Wright

Wright

Sure! MapMagic has the special nodes to input heightmaps/textures (RAW Input or Texture Input). You can input the heightmap, process it with MapMagic the way you want and apply it to Voxeland the usual way with Voxeland Output.

P_Jong likes this.
  40. wigglypuffs

wigglypuffs

Okay, this is driving me crazy. And, I can't find a solution. I have enviro set up to cast lightrays through the clouds. But, when I use it with voxeland's land shader, there are weird "black" artifacts on the material. Any thoughts? Thanks. I tried reimporting the land shader.

blackspots.jpg

P_Jong likes this.
  41. P_Jong

P_Jong

Try adjusting down lighting intensity for EnviroSky. Play your game. Slowly adjust down lighting till the artifacts go away. Make a note of what best lighting intensity to use. I can reproduce this if I drive up light intensity to 5. For me it did not matter if lightrays were on or off in Enviro.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  42. Wright

Wright

Are you using texture arrays?

43. Victor_cross

Victor_cross

I'm getting the same problem also and i'm not using texture arrays. problem3.jpg
    Fixed, needed main texture arrays to be selected and then picked.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  44. P_Jong

P_Jong

I wanted to share our companies first VR game promo video. We loved using Voxeland and using it allowed us to make it such the majority of the playtime is on a single level. The player can move from the haunted house straight into the hidden cave under the house. We sculpted Voxeland to fit with many play aspects of the game like building zones on the map. In some cases we even teleport the player to an area of the map and by using the game assets and Voxeland we give the player a different environment. So for most of the play time the VR player does not have to experience any load screens. We have loved the support we got here in the forums and getting to hear about others in the community using Voxeland. Here is the promo video for Ghostly Summerwind.

Wright likes this.
  45. Ascensi

Ascensi

Has anyone else been successful painting flow maps with Megasplat on Voxeland? or the Megsplat clusters etc?

46. Wright

Wright

What are the flow maps? Am I missing something?

Victor_cross, could you please show the general material settings?

47. GambitMonkey

GambitMonkey

Denis I opened an issue on Gitlab concerning Megasplat and Voxeland. I am getting some weirdness when trying to use the two together. Thought I would also post the issue here in case the community can chime and have a suggestion.

Denis I opened an issue on gitlab abotu some weirdness I am seeign when using Megasplat and Voxelnad.

https://gitlab.com/denispahunov/mapmagic/issues/221

Attached Files:

48. Ascensi

Ascensi

With MegaSplat it provides the ability to paint puddles, wetness, streams, lava etc. When painting a stream or lava you can paint the direction of stream or lava flow etc. This is why I shared earlier with you that I was having troubles with Voxeland paint brush and MegaSplat paint brush -I should be able to use MegaSplat's brush to paint the Flowmap/streams/puddles -displacement corrections, clusters etc but Voxeland isn't set up to allow MegaSplat's paint tool to work with it.

49. Wright

Wright

Can you use this feature on meshes or is it Unity-terrain only?

50. Ascensi

Ascensi

If you're replying to my post then yes, it works on both unity terrains and meshes.
    Voxeland may only need a setting in its Brush drop down set to "disabled" but this is only an assumption. Maybe @jbooth might offer some input on this (what is needed to allow flow maps & clusters etc to be painted ie; Voxeland brush be disabled to allow Vertex Painter Pro to take over?)

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    jovino likes this.