Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Voxeland - Voxel Terrain Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Wright

Wright

Yes, I've got this enhancement somewhere in to-do list.

Voxeland uses a triplanar shader - it's not the show off, such a complex voxel shapes could not be unwrapped in a flat non-overlapping UV channel seamlessly. It's just a matter of mesh topology, not something I don't like to do :)

I guess you can't create a lightmap - the reason is just above. I don't know if SEGI use lightmaps, but at least it worth trying using it.

You can't go below the zero level. But you can have as many block layers above as you like. For example, if you are going to dig 100 units - just raise the generate level (in Generator foldout) to 100 or above.

2. Ascensi

Ascensi

@Wright didn't quite get what you said above, I know Triplanar doesn't require UVs. Did you mean to say that the mesh topology is rather complex and figuring out how to bake out the textures is just something you would rather not do at this time? :D I could wait a little lol There is another developer that is also trying to figure this out for his asset "Unity FBX exporter". My aim for export is a 3D animation tool that also supports Triplanar with tessellation etc so hopefully the same quality could be retained.

I was just thinking, would it be possible to have a brush that we could add a height number to and the brush pulls the normals to that height? I was thinking that this would be good for creating big flat surfaces.

Also an angular brush, just add the degree and the horizontal incline/decline direction. I know your spline tool may solve all these issues. A spline you can drag across the surface then adjust handles and position them then set the size, apply a brush type (volume, blob, stamp etc) to subtract or add (would be good to have the spline able to snap to grid optionally to make buildings.) I figure this is the kind of spline style you're probably already working on.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  3. JasonCG

JasonCG

I don't know if this is related, but I ran into an infinite loop issue when adding land blocks with MegaSplat integration. I traced it down to something happening in Voxeland/Tools/Extensions/TextureArrayExtensions.cs:ResizeSources. This was about a week ago and I'm just getting back from a trip so the details are a little fuzzy... I was trying to force reusing some old Voxeland configuration I had, and I think what I did to trigger it was to remove all blocks from the Land Blocks list then tried to add a new land block.

I ended up just creating a new clean Voxeland object and that fixed it for me.

boysenberry likes this.
  4. boysenberry

boysenberry

That sounds a lot like my issue. I haven't stepped through the code yet to confirm, but that seems right. It's only while resizing the texture array that it happens. Did something similar with using normal blocks at first, then switching to MegaSplat. I'll try a clean scene with new objects to see if it clears it up for me, thanks!

5. Ascensi

Ascensi

@Wright I get this error when increasing the brush size to sculpt mountains.. (with the blob brush). I've set max brush size to 100 although I'm using a brush size of 43 with dynamic limited editor mode"
    NullReferenceException: No colliderIndexToCoord defined
    Voxeland5.Chunk.GetTriIndexByCoord (CoordDir coord) (at Assets/Voxeland/Main/Chunk.cs:61)
    Voxeland5.Highlight.AddVoxelandFace (CoordDir coord, Voxeland5.Chunk chunk, Single opacity) (at Assets/Voxeland/Main/Highlight.cs:70)
    Voxeland5.Voxeland.Highlight (CoordDir center, Voxeland5.Brush brush, Boolean isEditing) (at Assets/Voxeland/Voxeland.cs:724)
    Voxeland5.VoxelandEditor.OnSceneGUI () (at Assets/Voxeland/Editor/VoxelandEditor.cs:116)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at
    /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Maybe it's a false positive? it thinks I'm adding more verts than it actually is? It seems to happen when I move the mouse around after I've done the initial sculpt, every mouse movement thereafter generates the message on brush size larger than 2. A brush size larger than 1 throws no errors even after I've sculpted at brush size 43. Even though I had max brush size at 30 before and used size 30 a few short strokes doesn't seem to matter but if I add long strokes the error returns.

I'm thinking it's a memory allocation error because it I wait a moment at times between strokes even with larger brush sizes it doesn't throw the error.

The higher the brush size new errors pop up:
    Failed setting triangles. Some indices are referencing out of bounds vertices. IndexCount: 262056, VertexCount: 0
    UnityEngine.Mesh:SetTriangles(List`1, Int32)
    Voxeland5.Highlight:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/Voxeland/Main/Highlight.cs:177)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    Failed setting triangles. Some indices are referencing out of bounds vertices. IndexCount: 192432, VertexCount: 0
    UnityEngine.Mesh:SetTriangles(List`1, Int32)
    Voxeland5.Highlight:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/Voxeland/Main/Highlight.cs:177)
    Mesh.uv2 is out of bounds. The supplied array needs to be the same size as the Mesh.vertices array.
    UnityEngine.Mesh:SetUVs(Int32, List`1)
    Voxeland5.Highlight:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/Voxeland/Main/Highlight.cs:176)

Also I think there may be a way to create brush terrain shapes. If we could have a way of having multiple brushes unified as a single cluster brush that repeats itself along the normal of "any" mesh we could stamp any terrain shape. Single click stamps the original shape while continuous can rake shapes in.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  6. Wright

Wright

I'd rather not to do this at all since this task is more complicated then creating Voxeland itself :) It works fine with triplanar shader, I don't think there's any reason UV should be added to it - when you export the mesh you can use third party tools like Unwrella for automatic UV creation.

I was thinking of extending brush functionality. Maybe a flatten brush, yep, however it's just a project yet.

Could you please note the steps to reproduce this issue if you will run into it again?

I've got to limit the maximum brush size to the collider distance - chunk size.
    Increasing the collider distance might help.

7. Xype

Xype

When using mapmagic shader/material and encoding, if I use tesselation I get strange black holes in the terrain, its not really holes just looks like them where the texture is pulled appart by the tesselation. This is likely user error, so what am I doing wrong lol.

8. Victor_cross

Victor_cross

Since updating I have been copping these errors.
    Assets/Voxeland/Tools/Extensions/TextureArrayExtensions.cs(145,14): error CS1501: No overload for method `CopyTexture' takes `4' arguments.
    Assets/Voxeland/Tools/Extensions/Texture2DExtensions.cs(234,83): error CS0117: `UnityEngine.TextureFormat' does not contain a definition for `RGB9e5Float'.
    Assets/Voxeland/Tools/Extensions/Texture2DExtensions.cs(295,53): error CS0117: `UnityEngine.TextureFormat' does not contain a definition for `RG16'

9. Wright

Wright

I can see the chunks are build, but somehow the voxel data was not generated for them. Are there any errors in the console? Is there any reliable way to reproduce this issue? Where is the seam between built and unbuilt chunks located in world coordinates?

Can't say for sure without a screenshot. The asset name you are using could also be handy since Voxeland doesn't have any tessellation out of the box.

PS funny that the expected and actual resuls are swapped by mistake in bug description:
    There's a universal solution for all the compile errors after the update:
    - remove Voxeland folder completely
    - remove everything in Edit > Project Settings > Player > Global Define Symbols (set to empty string) just in case
    - perform clean install

10. Ascensi

Ascensi

@Wright, I don't need the UV part added to the model, only the combined megasplat textures, if somehow maybe I just switched to UV mode in megasplat to get the texture then maybe it could work. Like I said the animation program outside of Unity that I'm using doesn't use UVs, it also uses triplanar so I just need to get the splat textures somehow from Megasplat that was painted on Voxeland and hopefully they display the same position in the other program. Well I hope the FBX exporter Dev figures it out soon. I have 3DCoat and Zbrush if I need to change UVs and I've tested that before but wish I could just get the textures out the way it looks in Unity.

Also in Unity 5.6.5f1 and previous baked mode doesn't seem to exist.
    upload_2018-2-19_8-40-9.png

Also I can't seem to manually paint grass or trees is this due to having MapMagic as the generator?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  11. Ascensi

Ascensi

When Wright first posted that the new megasplat compatible update is out we started reporting the same thing.. Wight then replied that Megasplat requires the LOD to be disabled (High detail set to max) this seems to work.

12. Victor_cross

Victor_cross

I did as you suggested but no luck.
    I even started a new project and imported the voxeland asset.
    It still threw the above errors up.

13. Ascensi

Ascensi

If you're using MapMagic, I installed that first, then Voxeland.. you can then look into MapMagic compatibility window and enable disable Voxeland to recompile -only if after installing Voxeland after megasplat didn't work. I'm using Unity 5x so I may not be able to suggest anything if you're using 2017 or higher.

14. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

@Wright When I import Voxeland in clean unity PC project, and open one of demo scenes all is good, but if I then switch to android all is black - tried disabling the texture array with no effect unfortunately. Please let me know what I am missing or if there is a bug?

Edit: Unity 2017.3.0f3 - Voxeland: 5.3.0

15. dot10

dot10

thx Wright!
    I will search for a different method.

16. Victor_cross

Victor_cross

I'm not using Mapmagic just Voxeland.
    And using unity 5.5.4 also.

17. Wright

Wright

Voxeland does not use splat control textures, using the vertex color and other vertex data information instead. MegaSplat shader reads this data from mesh, not from textures.

It's a static mode with Bake Meshes to Scene enabled.

What is your Unity version and build platform?

After turning off the texture array shader you've got to re-assign the block textures.

18. Xype

Xype

Its not the distant terrain that I am talking about, its right in the middle .... its not like blocks its odd shapes

19. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

Hi Wright, I am afraid that this makes no difference for me at least. The terrain is black when i switch to either ios or android. Could you verify in Unity 2017.3.0f3 that this happens for you also. It seems to be related with shader model, when i turn off shader emulation the terrain is displayed as intended, then when i change shader emulation to Shader Model 2 or 3 it goes black again. When I build to my android device, the terrain does appear as it should (though very performance heavy, and with artifacts) and here we are talking about a fairly powerfull android device.

Also I remember a few years back I used an earlier version of voxeland and modified it so I could export to a mesh, what is the recommended way to export to a mesh and how about shaders, is there anything "mobile friendly"? Or has this asset moved to PC only? :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  20. Ascensi

Ascensi

yes I understand, I had confirmed that it wasn't the mesh horizon covered with the black patches. Some areas looked like they had a slice through it like "<" as well as the black patches. Anyway Wright had said this: "MegaSplat works on hipoly mesh only. It just cannot work with LODs since it require particular mesh topology. Disable LOD by setting the High detail range similar to Voxel mesh range. Do not consider it as an issue, it's just a MegaSplat requirement."

I disabled the LOD system and it took care of the problem. From your picture that you posted on the previous page (Feb 8th) the patches are showing in the horizon. I've had some textures stretch where they are supposed to blend but I suspect that is because I what I built in MapMagic - it seems possible with Nodes to accidentally generate two or more Voxel landscapes overlapping each other with the almost same terrain which will greatly lower Frame rates and project size so I'm going back to Voxeland with Megasplat until there is either a safety measure added to MM or that there is precautionary steps published in the Voxeland MM doc to avoid/recognize issues such as this.

@Wright you haven't experimented with VR and your scripts for painting/sculpting Voxeland in Playmode by any chance have you? I've been trying to set up the world space canvas and attach some laser pointers for selecting materials to paint with but it looks like the demo example has been broken since texture arrays were added and as a non programmer, I'm not sure how I could set the menu items to be selected and actually get the material from the array. Has anyone else worked this out?

21. Wright

Wright

Voxeland does not support shader model 3.
    Maybe I'll make a simple shader that can work on mobile devices that will display only 4 channels with no bump, but at the moment I have not made any mobile-specific optimizations for Voxeland.

I don't quite get it what exactly you are trying to do, but you can find this useful. Yep, it's about scripting. Unfortunately you can't script Voxeland the way you like without scripting.

Ramsdal likes this.
  22. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

Yeah please do, would be awesome. Is there a perferred way to export generated map to meshes?

23. Xype

Xype

@Ascensi one of the problems I have with using just voxeland is the way things generate doesn't make a usable modifyable terrain. I mean what we need is just a buncha dirt on top of a rock layer that has metal areas in the rock layer. Some places the rock layer should cliff outa the dirt and make mountains. The way voxeland generates things is pretty but completely impractical in game in any way whatsoever, and if you aren't making your terrain usable why use voxels at all, a plain terrain would obviously perform better. I always think about this when I look at the voxeland examples. Having 2 different kinds of grass textures is impractical for digging, there is no metals and such in the rock you just have rock nothing else there, the voxeland generator doesnt provide ways to put streaks of metal in the rock like mapmagic can using cave methods to create metal veins. Grass textures at all is silly you need grass on dirt that you can cut, and when you take the dirt out from under the grass the grass objects should fall not just still be present on the next block down, and look that blocks gone still a grass texture, wheres the dirt. Voxeland just is not usable alone if proceedural generation. You can hand craft a map that will work....

24. Ascensi

Ascensi

I'm setting up a VR character and the only way to interact with your playmode UI and sculpt/paint with Vive controllers is to have laser pointers to choose materials from the menu but in it's current form the playmode UI doesn't seem to be compatible to work with your texture arrays otherwise I can easily replicate your menu items to have more selection. If you have time, could you please update the playmode demo to work with the texture arrays? The only other part I'm trying to figure out is where ever I point the laser using the Vive controller I need the Voxeland highlighting for sculpting/painting to follow where the laser points and sculpt/paint.

I've also setup the raycast laser pointer working but it doesn't currently work with the Voxeland positioning/highlighting because the mouse is currently tracked to do so.
    I've looked on your Voxeland wiki page for tips but I don't think you've added any info on setting up the playmode GUI with for arrays. If Voxeland had a mouse override field in the api to place any game object with raycasting (either Curved UI laser, VRTK laser, VR Runtime Editor laser) was dropped in that maybe it would make Voxeland VR compatible at Runtime out of the box - and I'd be happy to help make any video demos/tutorials if there was such a feature.

@Xype I think the problem you're trying to work through is also being researched with the Ultimate Survivor kit integration for Voxeland - I would check out that forum.. it may even have the bulk of the script work done for you that you could modify.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  25. Victor_cross

Victor_cross

Unity 5.5.4 personal.
    platform is pc
    Maybe I have to re install unity?

26. Ascensi

Ascensi

I think there was problem with Unity and texture arrays in that version.. try to download the latest 5.6.5f1 as a separate installation then install Voxeland and Megasplat. Run the Voxeland demo scene first to see if it runs well, then run the megasplat demo scene to see if that runs well. I'm using the latest and have no problems with Megsplat displaying in Voxeland.

27. Victor_cross

Victor_cross

I don't have Megasplat.

28. Wright

Wright

Hey, wait a minute. Have you downloaded Voxeland from the Asset Store? Or...how did you get it?

Ascensi, I suppose the laser is just a ray with collision raycasting, so it all comes down to how to edit terrain with a custom ray. That is exactly is what that page I've linked is about. First you get the coordinates of the of the block ray hits, then you highlight the selected block, and then you edit it with Alter if some condition like button is pressed met. I can't really make demo scene so universal to meet everybody's needs - at least it's a demo scene that justs shows Voxeland working, it's not supposed to be submitted to Steam as a VR game.

29. Victor_cross

Victor_cross

Paid for and downloaded from Asset Store.
    That is what i'm supposed to do right?
    I have had voxeland for a month or two and updated it when there was a new version available.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  30. Wright

Wright

Voxeland requires Unity 5.6.4, and you can't download Voxeland from the Asset Store using Unity 5.5. It will have Download button disabled with "Needs Unity Upgrade to version 5.6.4" label under it.

I'm just asking if there is the other way to download Voxeland - using the older Unity version.

31. Victor_cross

Victor_cross

Ok im going to download and install unity 5.6.4
    All good after update to 5.6.4 thanks Wright.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  32. victor_sq

victor_sq

dear @Wright I'd like to ask some question regarding optimisation. I was making profiling and noticed performance hit when chanks generating. It's coming from voxeland.update so observing game behavior I noticed that it generating row of chanks at front of player but all raw so as bigger square area around player as bigger line of chanks need to be generated due length of big zone. Can you advice what part of code I need to redesign if I want modify this visibility zone to be circle let's say, in this case it will generate only few chanks at front of player, still having a same visibility distance in all directions that will give huge performance improvement and from player perspective nothing will change. thanks in advance
    ps: I am targeting mobile so it's working perfectly fine on pc :) but in my case it's sensitive side, or maybe you can advice me on how to desynchronise chank appearance

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  33. Wright

Wright

Actually from the player side it will change a lot - a complicated "aliased circle" (a circle build of rectangular chunks) will not weld perfectly with horizon, and hipoly voxel meshes will not weld with lods. The round form is that's what I initially started, but had to abandon it. You will not get a great performance impact switching to circles: for each square with area 4 (2*2) the circle area is pi, it's 1.27 times smaller - and with the chunk aliasing consider it will be 1.15-1.2

All of the the chunk calculations are done in separate threads, asynchronously (btw it's not displayed in the profiler). Only the mesh apply (fast) and collision update (slow) are done in main thread, but asynchronously too. Voxeland can take an advantage of Unity 2017.3 collision update new features and make it significantly faster, so if you are using the older Unity version consider updating.

victor_sq likes this.
  34. Ascensi

Ascensi

@Denis when I was asking about updating your demo scene I was mainly suggesting that the painting of textures needs to be fixed for playmode and selecting blocks for trees or grasses to paint on the surface doesn't seem to work for me at least.

About the raycast part, I thought it might be easier to swap out the function highlight by main camera in the controller script with vive controller, the other method is over my head and might be overkill. I guess I need to find the name of the input method.

35. Dragon-Magic-Studio

Dragon-Magic-Studio

Same for me . i cant paint anything else then textures, im using rtp which works fine, but cnt use any grass paint or object/trees.
    Unity 2017.3
    Should be fixed asap as its a major bug.

36. Ivy-SM

Ivy-SM

After updating to 5.3.1, I got this error: Assets/Voxeland/Main/Generator.cs(877,19): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Graph' does not exist in the namespace `MapMagic'. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    I also reimported MapMagic, just to be sure it's the latest version, but that doesn't fix the problem. Any ideas?

37. Wright

Wright

Voxeland 5.3.1 has been released! I really like the promptness Unity reviews assets. However as Ivy-SM noticed it has compatibility problems with the MapMagic asset (actually it's compatible with MapMagic 2.0 Beta instead of the current version). Fixed, submitting today, hope it will be reviewed fast too.

Those who use texture arrays (and do not use MM) will find new Voxeland texture array tools faster and more reliable to use (improved texture arrays performance and possible crashes related with adding and removing of the new blocks).

You might trying to add grass or trees with the mouse click. Please note that in playmode the new blocks are added with ctrl-click, the same is true for grass and trees blocks.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Ascensi, Ivy-SM and boysenberry like this.
  38. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

Why am I getting this error?
    A tree couldn't be loaded because the prefab is missing.
    UnityEngine.TerrainData:set_treePrototypes(TreePrototype[])
    MapMagic.<Apply>c__Iterator2:MoveNext() (at Assets/MapMagic/Generators/OutputGenerators.cs:1311)
    MapMagic.<Apply>c__Iterator1:MoveNext() (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/GeneratorsAsset.cs:553)
    MapMagic.<ApplyRoutine>c__Iterator0:MoveNext() (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/Chunk.cs:234)
    MapMagic.ThreadWorker:CoroutineFn() (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/ThreadWorker.cs:604)
    MapMagic.ThreadWorker:UpdateApply() (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/ThreadWorker.cs:176)
    MapMagic.ThreadWorker:Refresh() (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/ThreadWorker.cs:143)
    MapMagic.MapMagic:Update() (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/MapMagic.cs:261)

39. Wright

Wright

Do you have all of the Tree Output prefabs assigned?

40. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

Can Voxeland look like Astroneer?

I mean that sharp look without smoothed normals. the shading is another thing.

41. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I've just gotten the chance to install Voxeland 5.3.1 on Unity 2017.2.2f1 on Mac, and am getting the following hard stop error that will not clear...

Assets/Voxeland/Tools/Extensions/Texture2DExtensions.cs(314,36): error CS0117: `UnityEditor.BuildTarget' does not contain a definition for `StandaloneOSX'​

Any ideas on how I can fix?

Ascensi likes this.
  42. V_R

V_R

Hey, we just got this asset yesterday, and I've been playing around with it to see if I can get the results we need, but we're getting a pretty terraced look. I'm guessing that we can't really get rid of that? The normal smoothing is maxed, so are relax strength and iterations, but it's still not really what we'd want from it, as it looks too 'wobbly'.

43. Wright

Wright

I'm thinking about "low-poly" shader but don't have ETA for it.

Fix
    Save to Assets/Voxeland/Tools/Extensions/Texture2DExtensions.cs

Actually the "Relax Iterations" value should have fixed it:

2 iterations:

10 iterations:

Do you get a different result?

jovino and P_Jong like this.
  44. Kintaii

Kintaii

Are there any plans to make the Voxelump functionality work again? I read the previous discussion regarding Voxelump around page 31 of the thread and saw a demo scene/prefab for it in the asset folder but also saw where you said it isn't working with the current version of Voxeland. Love the tool otherwise - Really fantastic stuff. :)

45. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

After downloading and installing that, I'm getting this:

Assets/Voxeland/TextureArrayInspector/Main/TextureArrayDecorator.cs(370,25): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Texture2D' does not contain a definition for `GetHash' and no extension method `GetHash' of type `UnityEngine.Texture2D' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?​

P_Jong likes this.
  46. Wright

Wright

Again? It has not been ever working with Voxeland. It's a standalone asset and it has not been released yet. Think of it like of "Voxeland lite".

Weird thing. Got to install Unity 2017.2 to see if the problem related with this Unity version.

P_Jong likes this.
  47. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Thanks, I appreciate it.

P_Jong likes this.
  48. Kintaii

Kintaii

I was writing in reference to the following, where you said it once worked:
    This would be a great solution for our company's needs - Looking forward to any updates!

49. Wright

Wright

I was using it just to test chunk mesh creation on a single chunk. It was never released publicly. Currently I'm working on MapMagic v2, but when it's done next in queue is Voxelump.

50. yamlCase

yamlCase

I second "low-poly" shader, this would really be fantastic.

jovino likes this.