Search Unity

Voxeland - Voxel Terrain Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Ascensi

Ascensi

I have the same error Assets/Voxeland/Main/Generator.cs(877,19): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Graph' does not exist in the namespace `MapMagic'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

2. Xype

Xype

Sorry I had to sleep haha, let me do the same on a fresh project and see my results

3. Xype

Xype

I know there was a whole refactoring of the shared files in the beta with some mapmagic namespace stuff, it is im sure in there somewhere but not sure where, might try to dig for it.

Question anyone install just voxeland without mapmagic? Same Error?

4. Xype

Xype

Ok basically a lot has changed in mapmagic too it seems, at the moment the current voxeland 5 and the current mapmagic are incompatable, if mapmagic is installed, you will just have errors. If you do not have mapmagic installed voxeland will work.

I tried changing a couple lines back to the old way but the issues go on and on.

Would almost bet MM has been submitted and waiting on Unity to approve.

I take this back, without MM no errors until you try to add a voxeland object, it no longer automatically generates materials as a base, seems you gotta do it all yourself.

At this time I would not recommend upgrading unless you wan't to help try to fix it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  5. Xype

Xype

Ok, will say though performance in the latest release is fabulous, and the megasplat integration is woot woot. Just drop those 2 megasplat arrays in there and all your blocks are done (seems you have to remove some though everything I tried over 24 was a black hole. Assume voxeland still has the limits.

boysenberry likes this.
  6. boysenberry

boysenberry

Any ETA on when MapMagic will work with Voxeland again? I can not use the new v5.3.0 version with MapMagic v1.8.5. I am getting the same Graph missing in assembly error...

Tenebrous likes this.
  7. victor_sq

victor_sq

good day, I can't place object block on terrain after update. Was this function removed? Is it any way to place object manually? thanks in advance

8. boysenberry

boysenberry

I am having an issue where I get null values when adding a voxeland terrain to a scene. It seems the materials are not getting added. Even after adding them the terrain wont generate though. I am kind of stuck on how to proceed.

[Exception] NullReferenceException
    UnityEngine.Material..ctor() C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/ShaderBindings.gen.cs:254

Voxeland.GetDefaultLandMaterial() Assets/Voxeland/Voxeland.cs:894
    892: public static Material GetDefaultLandMaterial ()
    893: {
    -->894: Material mat = new Material( Shader.Find("Voxeland/Land TextureArray") );
    895: mat.EnableKeyword("_TRIPLANAR");
    896: mat.name = "Land";

VoxelandEditor.CreateVoxeland() Assets/Voxeland/Editor/VoxelandEditor.cs:1210
    1209: //materials
    -->1210: voxeland.material = Voxeland.GetDefaultLandMaterial();
    1211: voxeland.farMaterial = Voxeland.GetDefaultFarMaterial();
    1212: voxeland.grassMaterial = Voxeland.GetDefaultGrassMaterial();

VoxelandEditor.CreateInfiniteVoxeland() Assets/Voxeland/Editor/VoxelandEditor.cs:1171
    1170: [MenuItem ("GameObject/3D Object/Voxeland Infinite")]
    -->1171: static void CreateInfiniteVoxeland () { CreateVoxeland(true); }
    1173: static void CreateVoxeland (bool infinite=true)

After I add the materials, if I press the new button I get the following error as well:

[Exception] NullReferenceException
    UnityEngine.Material..ctor() C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/ShaderBindings.gen.cs:254

Voxeland.GetDefaultLandMaterial() Assets/Voxeland/Voxeland.cs:894
    892: public static Material GetDefaultLandMaterial ()
    893: {
    -->894: Material mat = new Material( Shader.Find("Voxeland/Land TextureArray") );
    895: mat.EnableKeyword("_TRIPLANAR");
    896: mat.name = "Land";

Layout.AssetNewSaveField[T]() Assets/Voxeland/Tools/Layout/Layout.cs:1485
    1483: UnityEditor.AssetDatabase.Contains(asset) ||
    1484: UnityEditor.EditorUtility.DisplayDialog("New " + label, "This will remove previous asset. Are you sure you wish to continue?", "Clear", "Cancel"))
    -->1485: asset = create();
    1486: #endif
    1487: }

Layout.AssetNewSaveField[T]() Assets/Voxeland/Tools/Layout/Layout.cs:1465
    1464: public void AssetNewSaveField<T> (ref T asset, string label, Rect rect=new Rect(), string saveFilename="Data.asset", string saveType="asset", Func<T> create=null) where T: UnityEngine.Object
    -->1465: { asset = AssetNewSaveField<T>(asset, label, rect, saveFilename, saveType, create); }
    1466: public T AssetNewSaveField<T> (T asset, string label, Rect rect=new Rect(), string saveFilename="Data", string saveType="asset", Func<T> create=null) where T: UnityEngine.Object
    1467: {

VoxelandEditor.OnInspectorGUI() Assets/Voxeland/Editor/VoxelandEditor.cs:885
    883: layout.fieldSize = 0.5f;
    -->885: layout.AssetNewSaveField(ref voxeland.material, "Land", saveFilename:"Land", saveType:"mat", create:Voxeland.GetDefaultLandMaterial);
    886: layout.AssetNewSaveField(ref voxeland.farMaterial, "Horizon", saveFilename:"Horizon", saveType:"mat", create:Voxeland.GetDefaultFarMaterial);
    887: layout.AssetNewSaveField(ref voxeland.grassMaterial, "Grass", saveFilename:"Grass.mat", saveType:"mat", create:Voxeland.GetDefaultGrassMaterial);

InspectorWindow.DrawEditor() C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1245

GUIUtility.ProcessEvent()

9. Victor_cross

Victor_cross

Update seems to have broken asset.

10. victor_sq

victor_sq

... one more thing apart of not being able to place object manually, objects stop being culled with chank. So in dinamic mode if I zoom in and out chank acting as expected but not object
    temp.jpg

11. Wright

Wright

Yep, the latest release doesn't seem to work properly, something gone wrong during package assemble. I've already fixed it and re-submitted. Crossing fingers for Unity to review it fast.

12. victor_sq

victor_sq

thank you Wright, I have to admit huge performance improvement in new version ! looking forward to update

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  13. Ascensi

Ascensi

@Wright is it possible to add support for Megasplats Metal/emissive/alpha texture array as well? I know MS is new and bugs have come up so it might take a while to get on to something else. Having lava flowing and other fx would be pretty amazing.

Also just FYI tessellation does work as expected! will show some examples soon. So happy with the MS Voxel integration! thanks a million!!

Tessellation working fine in VR using a GTX 970
    Update samples:
    Moss render1.jpg Mud terrain.jpg Roots.jpg

I still have lots of tweaking to do

EnriquePage91 likes this.
  14. Xype

Xype

Having issues with holes in horizon terrain using megasplat encoding.

Also distant terrain between local and horizon is some weird reflective brown stuff. I do not have distant terrain checked.

15. origamihero-games

origamihero-games

I'm having a hard time upgrading my game to the newest version of Voxeland. How would I best do this? Just extracting the new version into the game doesn't seem to work. I managed to fix the namespace duplicates (Voxeland's folder structure has changed resulting in two copies of scripts), but the new version can't find the voxeland data in the scenes anymore. Thanks in advance~

16. Xype

Xype

Not sure, I started over myself because so much has changed, was well worth it.

Here is a show off, megasplat + voxeland, imo would make Bob Ross smile from the happy trees.

Edit: Thought I would mention, used in this only Voxeland, Megasplat, Aquas, Post Processing Stack, unity 2017.1.3 Linear Colorspace, Differed Lighting.

JasonCG and Jeremy-Borton like this.
  17. Wright

Wright

Finally 5.3.0 is available at the Asset Store. Thanks Unity for reviewing the latest patch really fast!

Here is what it brings:
    • Using 2017.3 collision cooking options - significant mesh apply performance gain on Unity 2017.3
    • Texture Array Inspector - a tool to create texture arrays, assign textures to it, change their order, etc. It could be done with Voxeland, however, since it's using TAI API.
    • MegaSplat support. Just to mention: MegaSplat works on hipoly mesh only. It just cannot work with LODs since it require particular mesh topology. Disable LOD by setting the High detail range similar to Voxel mesh range. Do not consider it as an issue, it's just a MegaSplat requirement.
    • Grass shader TEXCOORD0 warning fix for 2017.3
    • Fix: terrain with "Save to meshes" feature on could be edited after the scene save
    • Texture array mode and non-texture array now use a single shader, it's just switches shader preprocessor define automatically
    • Fixes for non-texture array mode
    • Fixed issue with horizon bounding box (disappearing)
    • Some GUI improvements

JasonCG, boysenberry and Ascensi like this.
  18. Xype

Xype

What do you mean by collision cooking options?

19. Tenebrous

Tenebrous

Volunteer Moderator

Unfortunately, updating both Voxeland and MapMagic to the very latest from the Asset Store, now gives me this:
    Assets/Voxeland/Main/Data.cs(93,36): error CS1501: No overload for method `Prepare' takes '1' arguments
    Edit: Nevermind, deleting both folders and re-importing the assets appears to have fixed it

20. Ascensi

Ascensi

can't work on Voxeland at all due to these errors
    Assets/Voxeland/Editor/VoxelandEditor.cs(955,31): error CS0117: `MapMagic.VoxelandOutput' does not contain a definition for `voxeland'
    Assets/Voxeland/Editor/VoxelandEditor.cs(956,36): error CS0117: `MapMagic.VoxelandGrassOutput' does not contain a definition for `voxeland'
    Assets/Voxeland/Editor/VoxelandEditor.cs(957,38): error CS0117: `MapMagic.VoxelandObjectsOutput' does not contain a definition for `voxeland'

I removed the folders completely and also the asset store folders for Voxeland and Mapmagic and installed a couple times.
    Using Unity 5.6.5f1

21. Xype

Xype

have you guys checked window -> mapmagic -> compatability and make sure all the things you are using are checked? I had that problem.

Now my question anyone gotten voxeland to work with multiplayer and don't mind a little chat, please pm me :)

22. Ascensi

Ascensi

Due to the compiler errors, the names of the assets are not even showing under window. I'm gonna try them both in a new project and see what happens.
    Update: errors don't exist in the new project so maybe I'll have to import MM first then enable compatibility then import the other two assets. Forgot about the compatibility switch, thanks!

So this trick worked, removing the assets then having MapMagic to start then enabling comparability for Voxeland then imported Voxeland

@Wright
    There are black patches generated in the distance using Megasplat with Voxeland and if I try to paint the surface they don't go away. Some patches seem to disappear as you get close.
    This black patch issue is happening for @Xype as well View attachment 265880 This only happens for me with Tessellation but I suspect that Xype is using Tessellation as well..

23. origamihero-games

origamihero-games

@Wright
    I can't seem to update to the new version with my (many & big) Voxeland objects intact. Is there a good way to upgrade? Or would I miss out on anything important like better runtime speed if I can't upgrade? I'm using pure Voxeland terrains only.

24. Ascensi

Ascensi

If you saved the data (read doc) you can drag that data back into the slot on any new project. Wright had said that the texture array had to be rerwitten (if that's something of your issue) but was worth it -you would have to make new texture arrays (that's probably why your current one is not working if an array is what you used). I'd screen capture my settings both texture and generator just to be safe. You should be able to hit rebuild once you have textures in place but when using Megasplat I had to hit regenerate to see the new textures and that would destroy any edits you've created.

25. boysenberry

boysenberry

Woot, just installed both MapMagic and Voxeland with no errors!
    Thanks for the quick updates! (and to Unity for approving it so quickly)

26. JasonCG

JasonCG

First you need to tell Voxeland to generate around a tag, rather than around the player's camera:
    Code (CSharp):
    2.                 voxeland.genAroundObjsTag = true;
    3.                 voxeland.genAroundTag = "Player";
    (for my project I only need to do that on the server, but depending on the project you may need to do it on both clients and servers).

When a new player/client connects:
    1. Server/host serialize the current Voxeland instance using voxeland.data.ToByteArray()
    - That generates a byte[] that you can send to the connecting client
    2. On the receiving client, call voxeland.data.FromByteArray(receivedData)
    - You might need to call voxeland.Rebuild()
    3. On every change to Voxeland at runtime, have the server/host broadcast to all players (for example have the server tell every client to use voxeland.Alter() or other Voxeland.* commands)

For me, when a client does something that changes the Voxeland structure, I have the server do it first then it tells all players (including the one that was making the change) to do it. This can introduce a bit of latency so I play an animation for digging or whatnot. So I don't have the players controls interact with Voxeland directly (like with Voxeland.Alter) - instead everything passes through a sort of network proxy which sends off the Alter request to the server. This way I can ensure all players have the same Voxeland configuration.

The main downside with this approach is every player gets notified immediately of all changes to Voxeland, even if they are nowhere near the change should be made. So traffic can get noisy if you have many players constantly making changes.

MrIconic and boysenberry like this.
  27. JasonCG

JasonCG

I haven't tried Megasplat yet with the new release of Voxeland, but I did try it on the Gitlab beta and I also got black textures far away. My guess was I think it's due to using the Voxeland "Land" shader on the horizon mesh. That shader is not Megasplat, so if something Megasplat-specific is should be on the horizon mesh then it won't show up or render correctly.

This is perhaps part of a larger issue I haven't had time to research and didn't want to bother asking about yet, which is: can the Horizon mesh use Megasplat or Relief Terrain Pack, or do we have to use the Voxeland Land shader due to how it's generated with a heightmap? Currently I'm using RTP for a snow effect, which doesn't get applied to the horizon since it's not using the RTP shader. If I switch to RTP then the horizon mesh is flat since... I think Voxeland generates a heightmap for the Land shader, which RTP doesn't know what to do with. It's not too big a deal for me since when I have a snow storm the fog is rather close so players can't see the horizon anyways.

28. JasonCG

JasonCG

New in Unity 2017.3
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/MeshCollider-cookingOptions.html

Physics: Exposed MeshCollider.cookingOptions. Cooking options allow you to enable or disable certain features in Mesh cooking (the process of turning a normal Mesh into a Mesh that is suitable for use in the physics system). These options can help you achieve a much shorter cooking time. This API requires that you manually check the input data for validity.

A few pages back on this forum there were some benchmarks showing that setting meshCollider.cookingOptions = MeshColliderCookingOptions.None greatly increases performance when building collider meshes.

29. Ascensi

Ascensi

I solved it on my end, well I just sculpted more mass on the terrain and the patch disappeared.
    So it may just be an issue how the terrain levels/heights are generated.

30. Ascensi

Ascensi

Just a tip for everyone working with tessellation & large 4K libraries saving to scene is a bad idea unless you have more than 16 GB host ram. I checked in the taskbar as to why Unity wouldn't load back into my project and Unity was there soaking in over 12 GB of ram. I also wanted to share the start of something almost photo real using Megasplat Voxeland, Megasplat, tessellation and RDT Displacement textures packs (promoting a friend) Also it seems that when creating terrain sizes it's best to keep small as possible. I had everything working in VR as well -looks realistic. I didn't get a chance to add god rays or DOF Overall I hope others will share tips how to get this going fast.
    River Cliffs and caves.jpg

Vhaldir, trilobyteme and JasonCG like this.
  31. SIV

SIV

Hello,

Does it have its own "mesh" where we sculpt the terrain or we can apply it to standard unity terrain and work from there ?

32. Wright

Wright

Ascensi,
    If you get compiler errors clear Edit > Project Settings > Player > Scripting define symbols. This will reset all the compatibility modes.
    I'm using Unity 5.6.4 to test and submit packages, so they both should work fine with 5.6.5

Sad but true..

Voxeland has nothing to do with the standard Unity terrains. It works with meshes internally. You cannot convert terrain to Voxeland or vice versa - except exporting terrain heightmap and importing it in Voxeland

33. Ascensi

Ascensi

[/ATTACH] @Wright I've been testing out the MegaSplat procedural mode - Using double layer mode on the Megasplat shader I have the bottom layer set to procedural and I want to use the top layer to paint with, problem is I thought I could use the Megasplat Vertex painter because it has features to select what layer in Two layer mode to paint (Top layer VS Bottom layer) on whether they be flow maps or top splat map layer, displacement smoothing, cluster painting etc but the problem is that I don't think Voxeland will let me. Maybe you could add an override in Voxeland brush along with "single, blob, volume, stamp" and add "megasplat" or Megasplat single, Megasplat Volume, Megasplat blob etc so basically combining the texturing tools within the Vertex painter with the features of Megsplat. Otherwise I'm not sure how I can access the advanced features of the Vertex painter.

Update: I was able to get MegaSplat to allow me to paint using it's vertex painter -Voxeland's Continuous brush has to be disabled and set to single form to work with the Vertex painter. I selected Voxeland then my Megasplat land shader, then launched the Vertex painter. Some times I've had to set to active and then non active a couple times to allow me to paint without voxeland trying to paint as well.

My next task will be to some how to get the bottom layer to be procedural with megasplat and maybe the top layer procedural yet paintable with Mapmagic -Update: this currently works best in reverse because Voxeland doesn't allow you to choose what MegaSplat layer to paint on.

A tip for others using tessellation or performance in general - I have multiple monitors, I had to assign my second display (physically attached) on my other video card. Sli doesn't help -working with unity it seems. My one video card was working too hard and slowed things down.

Better settings, getting close to photoreal
    upload_2018-2-11_14-58-15.png upload_2018-2-11_13-57-54.png

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    JasonCG and Jeremy-Borton like this.
  34. MrIconic

MrIconic

I keep getting this :

Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/Voxeland/Demo/Scripts/VoxelandController.cs(13,10): error CS0118: `CameraController' is a `namespace' but a `type' was expected
    I've also tried the below.

35. SIV

SIV

This is what matter for me since I import from World Machine :)

36. boysenberry

boysenberry

How do I get up and running with megasplat integration?

37. Ascensi

Ascensi

Check out Wrights youtube videos..

38. boysenberry

boysenberry

I am not finding it easily, do you have a link to them?

I think I might have found it here:

39. Wright

Wright

Are you using "CameraController" namespace somewhere? Maybe some third-party asset?
    There's nothing I can do about it, except maybe asking the asset maker not to name his namespace with a commonly used name.

That's it.

boysenberry likes this.
  40. Dolzen

Dolzen

Will this asset support spherical worlds generation?

41. Wright

Wright

Well, Voxeland was never designed to create spherical worlds, but I know some users make planets with it, like this:

42. Ascensi

Ascensi

@Wright

Some Megasplat essentials: could you add a switch/setting in the brush area to disable the Voxeland brush so we can use Megasplat's vertex painter? Otherwise I keep painting with two brushes creating artifacts.

Also the ability to choose/switch back and forth in two layer mode of Megasplat to paint. Voxeland currently only works on one layer. Textures can blend better with Two layer mode and there are other texture combining options to utilize.

Speaking with Jason Booth asking to determine if textures could be baked out of Voxeland he said: unless you have a single, non-overlapping UV in a 0-1 space for your resulting voxel mesh, that's not going to work.

Would Voxeland qualify?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  43. dot10

dot10

thx great asset!
    I'd like to use GI but I can not change it to static.
    Please tell me how to set it up.

44. MrIconic

MrIconic

Turns out I downloaded Unity-Chan when testing LOD. That was the asset that had "CameraController" that was causing the issue.

45. boysenberry

boysenberry

I am having some texture array weirdness. I am using MegaSplat with Voxeland and must being managing the texture array wrong. I have 3 land blocks and added 3 more textures to the the MegaSplat array. When I try to go and add 3 new land blocks for the new textures I added in MegaSplat Unity hangs. My CPU goes up to about 45% usage and stays there with Unity becoming unresponsive. I tried restarting and still it hangs. It seems there is no way to add more land blocks now.
    Did I do something wrong?

TIA,
    Boysenberry

46. Ascensi

Ascensi

How much ram does your computer have? I mentioned this with @jbooth that adding textures to the array settings to generate the array was becoming difficult and by itself was filling up my ram fast. He's looking into it, apparently it's supposed to unload what isn't being used/accessed and I'm not sure if the texture ray itself is supposed to unload textures not being access but would make sense. I'm not sure if that's what your issue is but it's what I'm experiencing. Check your ram usage as well. I'm working with only 16 mb of ram on an i7 @ 4.5 GHz. Also I had to stop saving to scene with Voxeland settings. Do you have tessellation enabled by any chance?

boysenberry likes this.
  47. boysenberry

boysenberry

Yes, I do use tessellation. I am going to give it a try on my desktop to see if it's just the limitations of my laptop (where I was running the initial tests). I'll try it with tessellation off as well to see if that helps, thanks!

48. Zanderfax

Zanderfax

New owner here.. I have both MapMagic and Voxeland 5 and I have a few questions:

1) Is it possible to generate object blocks underground?
    2) How many layers deep is the Voxeland mesh? Can this be changed?
    3) Is there a way to generate water in the lower levels?

I know these are basic questions but I am trying to learn the assets and I have not been able to find the answers.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Z

49. Ascensi

Ascensi

1. yes look at Wrights video on cave creation to get an idea.
    2. is covered in the doc (the default texture array) i think by default is 24 materials/blocks.
    3.Voxeland itself doesn't generate water unless you modify code as some Game developers have. If you have a prefab of water (pools) you might be able to set it up within MM to be generated with scatter at different heights but wouldn't have any control over the scale and water properties unless @Wright wants to add that kind of node. The cave video example shows a material applied to Voxel noise shape which has a Boolean feature when setting that block to none.. if that block and set of nodes could be duplicated and replaced with an animated block -it's own animated vertex shader for water or lava. Wright is creating a spline system that can be used for walking paths, rivers etc but I don't know if he is modifying the spline system so that as you dig with water block on, that a spline can be created and adjusts to dimensions via brush/sculpt size.

If you have Megasplat you can have procedural puddles or paint streams. Any Texture can have flow mapping and you would just paint the direction. You can also have up to 256 blocks with Megasplat.

Wright likes this.
  50. Zanderfax

Zanderfax

Thanks for the answers.. I will look for the cave video.
    On Question #2.. I am talking depth of the voxels. If I make a 20x20 area.. how deep is it? Is it a 20x20x20 cube or is the height map start at 0 and built up from there?

Z