Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Voxeland - Voxel Terrain Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Samsson

Samsson

Thanks for taking a look to parallax !

What extacly means dynamic building and autogenerator ?

Also, if you make an update, it would be interresting to be able to displace grass in a more classical way. For exemple a special "grass" block who can be filled to any block, the same as trees. Your way is still interresting, don't delete it ! Having the two options could give more control for placing grass.

Other think : Be able to change the texture of a block instead of having to dig, then to build with a new block with another texture.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  2. sefou

sefou

Simply use Ctrl + LeftClick to replace block with another texture.

3. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Hi, thanks for the feedback about the metaballs. I understand your voxel data is more like volumetric grid data which is ok. Then you use that data to visualize a smoother surface. I'm not expecting it to be able to automatically generate metaballs.. I'm thinking more along the lines of calculating the volumetric data of metaballs myself via script, ie positioning of particles, calculating the energy fields and threshold, and then converting the threshold isosurface into data that your engine can understand, then your engine builds the geometry for display. That would work... but was just curious if it was fairly easy to feed new data to your engine and how quickly it could process it into new geometry. From the sounds of it (and what you said in PM) the speed of upload is relatively slow and would be fairly limiting, other than maybe for a small area of change.

The parallax shading would be good, or some other displacement shader. The `relief terrain pack` on the asset store for example has some good relief shaders which would add a whole extra level of detail to your terrains, maybe you can work with that guy to implement some of his shaders in your system.

Also something you should consider, to be cutting edge and extra cool, would be to implement some DX11 tesselation shaders... basically this would mean that your relatively low-resolution block data suddenly becomes very high resolution thanks to realtime-added extra triangles... you could use this to add extra roughness, or extra smoothness. There are surface shader examples in unity documentation showing how to do this to add extra detail and also `phong smoothing` which allows you to take low-res polygons (which all terrain engines have when you get close to stuff) and smooths them out so they are nice and rounded. That would be excellent.

4. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

Hello. I just purchased Voxeland for mobile use. Could you give me any tips to reduce draw calls and triangles? Does increasing / decreasing the chunk size help any?

I need a fairly large-ish terrain - around 600m2 of surface area (not as much vertical). It doesn't have to be high-poly though. I'm happy to create a stylized lower-poly terrain if I can get away with it.

What I've done is create a test terrain, then scaled it up 10x. That gets me the size I need with much fewer tris and draw calls, but Voxeland gets confused with scaled terrains and I often have to set it back to scale 1 then back to 10 to get it to join the chunks properly.

Any other ideas?

5. Wright

Wright

Voxeland should be scaled with no problem. But I've just made a quick test and found out that it makes gaps on rebuilding. It is a bug, and I'll try to fix it asap.

It is not a problem to set a voxel data, but it takes time to calculate terrain. I've got 50*50 area computing at 300 ms. Actually, it is not realtime. Voxeland is not a proper tool for simulating liquids :)

That are the features planned for 2.0 version. But it seems that dynamic building (i.e. aviability to build only the part of a landscape, and add remaining in realtime) will be available along with a scaling fix.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  6. Bjoern_Christian

Bjoern_Christian

I bought Voxelland. I liked the dynamic editing at runtime.
    Is it possible to create 2 terrains in the same scene, one scaled big and perhaps one with tiny voxels ?

I am looking forward for version 2 :)

7. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

Another small bug. If you have changes on a terrain, then delete it, then press Undo, you get an object mission exception.

Is it possible to have a lower-poly chunk? These are very high poly for mobile and that's before any sculpting has even started. I know you didn't specifically target mobile, but it works fine (which must be the difficult part) and it seems those issues would be easy to fix.

8. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Hi, I'm ready to purchase this... but can you explain or show how to create large terrains?

9. Samsson

Samsson

There is a video tutorial here :

10. Samsson

Samsson

I bought it 2 days ago and i played a lot with it.

It works nicely with occlusion culling, navmesh and other stuff. Most of my problems comes from the automatic rebuild.

This is really what i needed, but there is a few thinks to ameliorate :

1. When Voxeland main object is selected in the hierarchy panel, options like "render settings" or "quality" are not displayed.To display them, i have to change the selected object in the hierarchy view.
    2. When selecting voxeland main object, it breaks lighmaping and some options like static disabled object (for exemple I disable grass before making lightmapping).
    3. Same think for light propes or other components filled to a chunk. Be able to enable or disable auto-rebuilt would be great. In this way we could work on the terrain in the case it’s finished to be modeled and we want to use it as a non “editable playmode terrain”.
    4. Lightmapping works when the ambiant light (in render settings) is set to a black color, it introduce a lot of artifacts.

$artifacts lightmapping 2.jpg
    No problems won the top, the ambiant lighting is white

$artifacts lightmapping.jpg
    On the cave, black ambiance lighting and artifacts appears

11. Wright

Wright

Hi there. Good news: new version is waiting for Unity review. Though it's still not version 2.0 and has no automatic landscape generator, Voxeland has made great progress:

- significantly improved performance on rebuilding: it became up to two times faster. The amount of used memory also greatly reduced.

- added dynamic rebuild feature. Now it is available to build only those chunks that are close to camera, and new chunks will be built in realtime when camera comes to them.

- terrain LOD: In a distance terrain chunks will be switched to less polygon meshes. It is not related with Unity LOD Group component, so it will work with not a pro version.

- low polygon collider: the collider mesh is not related with a graphical mesh and has less tris to improve physics performance.

- texture substance is included along with land textures. It will help to make perfectly tiled voxeland-textures with almost no effort. No Substance Designer is required, everything is done inside Unity.

- now Voxeland is available for Unity 3.5

@EvilDingo, these bugs were fixed thanks to your feedback:
    - scaling is fixed
    - undo after delete works now

@PyroStudios since this version you can scale up a terrain like a standard transform up to a desired size. But overall terrain resolution will not be changed, so you got to find compromise between size and detail )

@Samsson I've added a special "Bake" feature, it will build full-detail meshes, store them as objects and turn off Voxeland component. So terrain will not be rebuilt after selecting its object. Its kind of finalization of a terrain work, and you can make lightmapping and occlusion culling after. And I can't see clearly what's happening on the last screenshot, it seems that the light comes through the hole at the top... but try to increase "lighmap padding" in Voxeland settings.

New version 1.5 is under Unity review now. Usually it takes a couple of days before the asset appear at the asset store.

12. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

So I just broke down and I purchased this tool (hesitantly) ... but I'm so glad I did. I'm amazed at how easy it is to make terrain with it. And thank you Wright for the answer and these update notes look GREAT!

Thanks for your hard work and I'll try to provide more usable feedback in the near future... but right now I'm just gushing over how great this plugin is lol.

13. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

Looking forward to that update! LOD system sounds like a great way to get manageable detail on mobiles.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but random terrain generation for procedural games and maybe some way to make a huge planet would be the only other features that would make me salivate. :)

14. Samsson

Samsson

Thaks for this uptade Wright !

Does the special "bake" feature works with other new features (dynamic rebuild, LOD, optimised colliders) ?

15. livio3d

livio3d

Hi again, is possible to add and option on brush for draw hard edge block and smoothing/harding (example for made stone walls , structure ecc)?
    I think you can easy made possible creating scenario like Everquest next!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVBAreJ6zuY&feature=player_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFpWiK7VRPg

other request, is possible to have option for use custom materials? i just check a triplanar terrain shader on chunks just drag and drop in and looks like what i need. (triplanar shader whit vertexcolor blending is the best) $triplanar.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  16. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

So even though I scale up.. there's no way for me to make endless large terrain? I want to load in Voxeland objects as the player moves around so that it seems the world is seamless. but it doesn't seem like I can't do that without there being a seam between the voxeland objects.

I basically want to create a 3x3 grid of Voxeland objects, and when a player moves out of the center of the grid, I unload the far-side voxeland objects and load in new ones so that the player is now in the center of the grid again. But I don't think I can sculpt smoothly between voxeland objects...... or can I?

17. nuverian

nuverian

Can voxels be disnstictive in material and shape like this:

Looking for something like it, but dunno if it exist in unity as of yet

18. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

+1 all these requests!!!

19. livio3d

livio3d

20. Samsson

Samsson

Guys, i agree with you for the need in more brushes, but you really are asking too much from a system wich is not really made in the same way than others voxel solutions.

Hard brush and Smooth brush would be great !
    What i actually need is a "height brush" same as the one in unity terrain system. It's a big wast of time when you need to push up a big part of the terrain because with actuals brushes you can not make a flat zone without speding time to polish every imperfections created by thoses brushes.

21. nuverian

nuverian

Theoreticaly, I think that it could be achieved by setting the "blending smoothness" between the voxels. Even better that "blending smoothness" could be different depending on the material/texture. That's all theoriticaly and I have no knowledge on voxel coding, just an idea.

22. Dinrae

Dinrae

Hello,

I understand Voxeland is in pretty much early development, , but before buying, i would have a some questions:
    - Is Voxeland compatible with Unity 4.2?
    - Is there a maximum of block/object that can be used? For example, can i create 50 blocks (with materials like sand, dirt, stones, ...), 300 objects (Tables, Torches, ...), build my terrain without problems and add more later.
    - What is the maximum size of the terrain? The one in the demo seems VERY small. I do not need to create a world, but i need to create at least, a zone.
    - What do you plan with water? Will Voxeland handle water like Minecraft (a block with no collision and water look/properties), or will we have to use unity water?
    - It is possible to place a tree, but is it possible to add larger structures, like houses? Or better, is it possible for voxel to be, for example, a cylinder, that we can use to build a column.
    - You mentioned "generator", do you plan do add automatic terrain generation, to create infinite lands (like minecraft), or will Voxeland be only a terrain we can customize thru voxel.
    - How all of this would work with multiplayer, if i use photon for example?
    I would have more questions, but they were already asked, like multiple grass textures, specular textures, ...

If i use Voxeland, it would be to do something like EQNext terrain solution, aka, a voxel terrain (multiple zones with loading, not an infinite world like minecraft) that can be destroyed. When i look at how Voxeland work, it look like it would be possible, can you confirm i'm right?

Thanks for your answers~

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  23. Samsson

Samsson

Hi Dinrae,

I'm not part of the dev but as user i can tell you :

-Voxeland works fine with Unity 4.2
    -You can add a lot of blocks (don't know if there is a limit) and all your props and other stuff. Voxeland is generating meshes, uvws coordinates and collision mesh, so it reacts in the same way as the unity terrain does.
    -You can add what you want on the terrain, but you should add large structures by hand (like in the unity terrain).

24. Wright

Wright

Thanks you Samsson for the response ) You're right, Voxeland works ok with Unity 4.2

In 1.5 you can scale up the terrain to increase its size. In most cases it is not needed to use one meter block size on vast terrains. The largest tested terrain in this version consisted of 25 millions blocks. It is 50 times larger (in volume) than demo terrain.

It is important to understand that Voxeland is a land construction plugin. It is not aimed to create houses or liquids. I am thinking about creating architectural objects out of block data, but it will be a separate, independent component.

Generator is a feature that will construct a new terrain "from scratch" using noises, height maps (optionally), erosion, and caves algorithms.

Multiple grass will be available in 2.0, and specular could be used now. I don't know exactly how eq terrain works, but it seems from the video it deals with metaballs. Voxeland uses slightly different approach.

I'll think about type smooth parameter and see what I can do.

25. bocs

bocs

1.5 seems really broken...

1. Sides are missing? (normal now?)
    2. Brush Size doesn't work...see in picture it's set to 3
    3. Some sides you can create holes, others you can't (see picture)

that's just after a few mins of testing...wow, wish I saved a copy of the previous version.

26. Wright

Wright

It is a terrain border. Default Unity terrain also ends with an open edge, but no one consider it as a bug.

However I admit that an old version had a closed borders - it was done by setting border blocks as non-existing ones. I've made a special version of Voxeland editor where you can convert data to make borders closed. You can find it here. Place VoxelandEditor.js file inside Voxeland\Scripts\Editor. You can find the feature in a "Cap Bounds" foldout. Just press "Cap".
    Do not forget to save a copy of your terrain data file before!

And of course I can email you previous version if you like. But I recommend using this one with "Cap Bounds" if you need a closed terrain mesh.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  27. cookimage

cookimage

When I updated to the newer version my old terrain changed and looks bad now so I have to redo it which is fine for now but will feature updates do that as well which will mean either i cant build the terrain now or not update in the feature.

28. bocs

bocs

The open edge is not what i'm saying is the bug.
    I think it may be useful for people that want to stich multible terrains together.
    however, you can't open up all sides...in the picture you can't open up the edges on the left side. Some sides can have open edges others can't...

again brush size doesn't work in 1.5...

also maybe disable the hi-light when the terrain is not selected. it always seems to have a selection even in playmode.

Feature Request for 2.0:
    density and scale for grass blocks

Thanks, I'll try the capped version

29. Wright

Wright

I did quick fixes:
    - added Cap Borders feature,
    - added new brush size algorithm,
    - highlight is disabled when Voxeland is not selected.
    New version will be available after Unity review.

What happened with a terrain? This update did almost no changes to VoxelandData, and the future updates will not affect data already created - or at least will give an ability to convert it to new format. Could you describe a bug or take a screenshot?

30. drizztfun

drizztfun

hi again,

thank you for the substance btw ;) helped a lot

I also lost a bit terrain at the borders with the update, but its not a big deal.
    I had more work with rewriting my custom editor, but thats also done now.

After i call "rebuild", the whole terrain will flicker.
    Thats because a call to "SwitchLods" is required after a rebuild ;)

Another thing was, that you moved the collider from the chunk to the LoResChunk. I needed to change where i attach my script so i can detect clicks and collisions.

Yes yes.. i am abusing your system a lot, thats why internal changes affect me ;)

But now its working well, thank you!

31. cookimage

cookimage

Deleted the scene land already sorry, but what happened is the mesh seemed to be reduced in pollies like it became very blocky. at first I though it was the way the new voxel system looks but when I did a new terrain with the new system it was all good. Could be the add on of the LOD system. No worry's I just wanted to make sure it wont be a problem in the feature.

32. cookimage

cookimage

Hmm did you degrease the poly count on the terrain from the older version as it does seem to be different as before the terrain looked more rounded and natural and now it looks more blocky like its more lower resolution than what it was before. Basically now you can make a perfectly flat surface and before you could not. How would I get to making the grid size smaller as I think that is the difference.

33. TeemplaySteve

TeemplaySteve

Is there any way to extract the changes to a voxeland terrain while running from an exe or webplayer instead of in the editor? I want to let someone build on the webplayer and then import their work back into my project, but I haven't been able to find a way for the person on the webplayer to save or send the information on the voxeland terrain changes. I've thought about building some sort of tool to write the changes to a text file and then rebuild the voxeland terrain, but I wanted to know if there was an easier solution.

Thanks

34. Wright

Wright

@cookimage - in the 1.51 smoothing will be the same. It is not a matter of a lowered polygon count, but just a smoothing value. I thought about adding it in settings, but decided to make a per-type smooth later in 2.0

@TeemplaySteve - you have to save two arrays: boolean VoxelandData.exists and int VoxelandData.blocks on a game save and load them on game resume before terrain rebuild.

You can see how it is done in VoxelandDataEditor, line 78 and below. It has two functions - Save(savePath:String) and Load(loadPath:String). The save data to a txt file at a desired path and load it. You can copy this functions to your game code (you cannot call them in-game from editor script - alas). Although the size of saved txt was not optimized, it can give a basic save-load function.

35. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

I just purchased Voxeland and every time I try to import the package into my project I get this error in the console.

Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/VoxelandData.js(558,17): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'newBlocks'.
    Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/VoxelandData.js(559,17): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'newAmbient'.
    Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/VoxelandData.js(560,17): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'newExists'.

And I've restarted Unity and even started a new project... still no look getting rid of compiler errors.

36. nuverian

nuverian

Ok, I know I am trying to hack voxeland into something that is not, but I think it kinda gonna work.
    More specificaly I am looking at how to:

- Reduce the shading smoothing between the blocks
    - Find a way to UV map the top polygons of a block to say the top left tile of the texture for example (out of the 4x4)/
    - Find a way to have volume brush, like a sphere for example.
    - Increase the maximum block types per chunk (shader related I think)
    - Find a way to "Has Grass Bellow" (of course not for grass)

Now that's a lot of things I want to hack but still I believe that it's so much better than starting from scratch :). If you can just tell me about where to look for those things I will be very glad.

Regading mesh smoothing I've droped the relax 1st and nth value until hopefully you make the per block type thing, but it kinda works as of what I need :)

Thanks in advance. No worries if none of the above gonna really work no matter how many hacks I do :)

37. Acolit

Acolit

Good day, i have a question: does the batching works with voxeland? because i have 0 batched meshes, thank you!

38. Wright

Wright

@PyroStudios: never had this error, but I guess I see what is wrong. Try this VoxelandData script. If it will be ok than I'll add it to next version, otherwise I'll need to investigate further.

@nuverian: cubical volume brush will be available very soon. The grass algorithm will be changed, so I cannot promise I'll add "grass below" feature. Anyways it should be definately not a grass). Such an UV mapping seems to be a bit complicated to work with, but I can see what I can do.

@Acolit: you need batching to reduce draw calls when numerous objects share the same mesh and material. Voxeland chunks have unique meshes and sometimes different materials, so they are not subject for batching. Furthermore, the size of a batched mesh would be too large and had to be recalculated on every terrain change.

39. sefou

sefou

Hi Wright,

are you planning to add triplanar texturing?

Thanks

40. andererandre

andererandre

Just came here to say it looks really nice! I've always been interested in the voxel terrain packages on the Asset Store and this one looks like it's the new king of the hill. If I had a little more free time and fewer projects on my hands I would probably throw myself at an open world kind of game right this second.

Good to see that with these kinds of packages the built-in Unity terrain system becomes more and more obsolete, keep up the good work!

41. Frosenborg

Frosenborg

Hi!

I've been playing around with Voxeland for about a month or so and I love the way how terrain can be edited but I am having issues with land/file size and performance.

Not sure how 2.0 will work but I need to create big worlds with capped borders and with the way how Voxeland handles terrain data it's not that simple. In the 1.5 update borders work differently now so I tried to align two Voxeland terrains together and it some what worked. (Hopefully the image will show up)

$example.jpg

But as you can see there are some issues, below the surface the edges don't meet and above the surface if you don't align them right the first time, they wont align right anymore. Below surface the edges could be hidden with an art asset but for above surface either a seam stitcher or a brush option for build to a height would be needed.

I was wondering if in the future we had the option to create Voxeland Layers? Like this:

Chunk Size:

Chunks X:
    Chunks Z:

Size Y:

Voxelands X:
    Voxelands Z:
    Voxelands Y:

I think the problem with creating big worlds, by aligning several Voxeland terrains together is the in-game/playmode editing of the terrain around the edges. This could be solved by creating zones where terrain editing is prohibited. For games where the player can't edit the terrain, aligning Voxeland terrains together to create big worlds could be a good solution.

Any thoughts on this sort of functionality?

42. Acolit

Acolit

So, it's imposible to reduce draw calls? because it lags.

43. Wright

Wright

Thanks! Very pleased to see such a comments :)

@sefou: personally I don't like triplanar mapping because of its blending on a oblique surfaces (and the alternative is a hard seam between mapping directions). But I'll think about shader update: most probably it will include more-than-four-material, triplanar, and tesselated shaders.

@Frosenborg: 1.5 added a new functionality - a dynamic terrain. It builds new chunks when a camera comes to them, and destroys when camera goes away. As far as I understand, it is the feature you are truing to build. Try "LOD and dynamic build -> Dynamic build", maybe what you are trying to make is already available for use.

@Acolit: how many draw calls do you have? You can increase the chunk size - up to one chunk for terrain, this will give you only one draw call, but it will be almost impossible to edit it. Try to create data with chunks size of 20 - it will give 4 times less draw calls.

44. mryan150

mryan150

We have purchased Voxeland and love it, we just have a few issues currently. When I attempt to change the terrain size, with the data file, it expands fine, except at a certain point, the terrain is about 4 blocks higher than the rest of the terrain. Also, with 1.5 the brush size does not seem to work for me.

45. Samsson

Samsson

Dynamic Building is not working on play mode, is this feature only for editing ?

46. Wright

Wright

@mryan150: I'll bring the lever of the resized terrain to the inspector, so user could set the level of new increased land. And brush size is fixed and will be available on Monday, I suppose.

@Samsson: Dynamic Build should work in a playmode. Just made a couple of tests to be sure - it works ok both on a demo scene and on a newly created land.

47. Samsson

Samsson

OK, i made a new project and now it works, but it's not useable ingame because when chunks are "build" it produce an CPU overage usage ( see below, blue parts correspond to chunks display).
    $Memory lack.jpg

Why not use the unity LOD system ? With some sripts it's possible to make an automatisation of the process so it would works with chunk creation.

Also, still about performance, when you must create a large terrain, the modeling lags a lot. From what i see, when chunks are modeled, meshes, collisions, LOD and datas are updated. It's interesting for real time creation, but even in this case, large terrain are too expensive. Maybe you can cut the creation process in two parts : The first one dedicated to the mesh modeling tecturing. The second to collision, LOD and others things that can be done after.

ps : dont' be discouraged because of our comments, if we do so much it's because we like to works with voxeland !

48. mryan150

mryan150

The other thing we have noticed, is with texturing, it seems to chop our textures into sixteen pieces, and then applies them to the voxeland terrain. I have downloaded the substance editor, but can't quite seem to figure out if that is what I need or as it seems to still chop the texture into pieces while adding them. Also, I noticed in your script, you have a comment mentioning a memory leak, and have had issues with the leak several times, is this going to be fixed soon?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  49. nuverian

nuverian

Im just a user. That said; as stated in the PDF manual included in the asset, you have to setup/prepare the textures in a very specific way, which is explained better there than I will here. In a nutshell, you have to make an "atlas" of 4x4 tiles and have each tile of that atlas to contain your texture, but you better look at the PDF for better explanation.

50. mryan150

mryan150

Thanks! was unaware that there was a PDF manual. Durp.