Search Unity

Voxel toolkit | MagicaVoxel Importer

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by alior, May 12, 2023.

1. alior

alior

HI there!
    I want to introduce my new asset - Voxel Toolkit.

The asset provides a seamless experience with MagicaVoxel and its files within Unity.
    It allows you to import .vox files directly into Unity without any separation between your meshes and .vox files. If you need to modify anything the files will be automatically reimported with the changes applied which facilitates extremely fast iterations and less error prone workflow.

Extremely fast. Generates even complex meshes in a blink of an eye.
    The asset has an experimental Runtime API which allows you to manipulate the voxel objects in the runtime.

The asset can also optionally generate light-mapping UV2 texture coordinates and MeshColliders.
    The asset uses highly performant algorithm which incorporates Jobs and Burst making importing your assets blazing fast.

The asset supports MagicaVoxel built-in material properties, for example: Emission, Transparency, Metallicity, etc. which are encoded directly into your mesh. This is far more efficient than using textures because of the lower bandwidth required, resulting in far faster rendering.

The feature enables you to set up look and feel of your meshes in MagicaVoxel and immediately achieve a very similar result in Unity.

The Voxel Toolkit generates high quality meshes with a greedy algorithm which provides both fast generation and low poly count mesh output.

The asset design allows you to import objects with more than 65k vertices even if your platform doesn't support it. In this case it will split the resulting mesh into several meshes. If on the other hand the platform can handle UInt32 indices, the asset will generate you a single mesh.
    Plans for a future:
    • Magica voxel animation support
    • Adding area lights to an emissive surfaces
    • GPU mesh generation
    • The contents of this pack can be used within commercial projects.
    pirate.parrot.software@gmail.com | Facebook support

Last edited: May 12, 2023
    CodeSmile likes this.
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

You didn‘t link the asset. ;)

I wonder what made you develop this? Were you unhappy with the existing assets, and if so, why?

3. alior

alior

Hi there! Thanks for reaching me. The existing ones didn't fit my needs with the game I am developing. The speed of work and workflow approach isn't gonna cut it for me. The asset I made was built with runtime API in mind and performance is a large consideration. So basically the difference is that this asset can work great in runtime as well as having great import performance in edit time.

CodeSmile likes this.