Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Voxel Importer

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AloneSoft, May 26, 2018.

1. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/62914

About
    Import "MagicaVoxel", "Qubicle" and Pixel art.
    Animation your voxel character!

Features
    - Skinned Animation support (Create skinned mesh)
    - Frame Animation support (Swap mesh engine)
    - Mecanim Humanoid support
    - ScriptedImporter support
    - Optimize low poly mesh
    - Collada Exporter
    - The source code is all C#
    - All source code is included

Manual
    http://alonesoft.sakura.ne.jp/VoxelImporter/index.html

FAQ
    http://alonesoft.sakura.ne.jp/VoxelImporter/index.html

AldeRoberge likes this.
  2. RendCycle

RendCycle

Thanks for creating this thread. Bought Voxel Importer a couple of days ago so I am still trying to learn how to use it in Unity 2018.1. Anyhow, I found out that upon importing a model from MagicVoxel, it seems the rotation is reversed/wrong. Is there a way to correct this within Voxel Importer? Pls. refer to the attached image below. In Mixamo, importing and exporting works correctly in FBX and it also automatically resizes the model for use in Unity.

Secondly, when I tried following your video tutorial when assigning Materials, I experienced a bug somewhat. If I forgot to uncheck the "Load From Voxel File" in the Inspector tab and I switched to the Lighting tab then clicked Generate Lighting, all of my previously assigned materials in the Shader section disappears and loads those that were originally set when I imported the model from MagicaVoxel. Is that really how it works? Do I need to uncheck "Load From Voxel File" before generating the newly assigned materials? I noticed the default values/layout in the Lighting tab were also different from those in your old tutorial so its kind of difficult to find the correct settings.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  3. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

1. Each of the 3D tools often has different basic axes, rotation directions, and so on.
      In this case, Unity is Z + in the front. MagicaVoxel is Y - on the front.
      There are differences depending on software like this.
      Voxel Importer conforms to the same result as importing obj data exported from MagicaVoxel into Unity.
      Therefore, the current result is normal.
      In other words, it is correct to flip the current data with MagicaVoxel.
      Please check chr of sample data of MagicaVoxel.
      They are facing Y -, and the character of the image is for Y +.

2. Updating with 'Load From Voxel File' enabled means that all materials are recreated from vox.
      Uncheck this if you want to set the material by Unity yourself.
      The video is created in the state of Unity 5.4.0, etc. There is a change in the update of Unity.
      For example, it is impossible to set the Emission color unless you enable Emission checking.
      This is a Unity update, so you need to check the Unity documentation.
      Especially light map etc. has big change with Unity update, so always check the Unity document.

4. RendCycle

RendCycle

Thanks for the reply! Ok, I will just flip my models in MagicaVoxel. But you know it would be great if there is just a check box/option in your tool that allows this within the imported model in Unity just like how your scaling works. For the "Load From Voxel File" issue, it took me a couple of tries to understand how it works and how to manage Emissions. I suggest you at least make a quick note in your video tutorial on this especially on the new settings in the Lighting tab just so to avoid confusion for newbies and to also fast track understanding on how to use your tool. :)

5. RendCycle

RendCycle

Another question: How do you identify an imported models' number or rather count/amount of Tris and Verts within Voxel Importer?

6. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

mesh.png
    The number of vertices etc. are displayed in Mesh's preview.
    This will vary depending on settings such as optimization options and weight paint.
    This is because the elimination of invisible faces is related to the result.

7. RendCycle

RendCycle

Thanks for the reply! I found the Mesh Preview and tested the optimization. I haven't used the Weight Paint yet but have a few questions regarding some of the Import Settings particularly those under "Optimize". What does Combine Voxel Faces and Ignore Cavity mean and do they reduce Tris and/or Verts count? I don't seem to notice any difference when I ticked/unticked them and pressed the Refresh button.

I also made some observations. I imported the same model from Mixamo w/ a basic animation and compared it with an imported .vox file using Voxel Importer (no animation). I noticed a difference in the number of Tris and Verts. Voxel Importer has lessened the number of Tris but has higher Verts count compared to the mesh from Mixamo (.fbx). I'm wondering, is it better to have lesser Tris count over Verts count?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  8. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

Basically, you do not need to remove optimization options.
    If 'Combine Voxel Faces' is not valid, the face of each voxel remains. It is a lot of vertices and it is very wasteful.
    'Ignore Cavity' prevents invisible inward surfaces from being created when there are cavities in the voxel.
    If there is no cavity, the result will not change.

Vertices and triangles vary depending on weight paint setting etc.
    Of course, the lesser is better, but in modern times other factors such as the number of materials will have a big impact on performance.
    We estimate that this degree of difference will not have measurable effects.
    If you want to reduce it, reduce the corner of the voxel
    Then vertices and triangles decrease.

9. RendCycle

RendCycle

Alright, I think I understand what you mean. But reducing the corners of the model may change its look entirely. Will reducing the inside number of voxel cubes of the model further optimize it... or does Voxel Importer already do that upon import?

Also have a question regarding Animation. I've noticed you can Add Root and Child Bones and there is an Edit Bone Animation button. Does this only setup the model for animation and not really allow me to create new animations like walking, running, etc? Do I still need Very Animation tool for that?

10. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

Voxels with many corners inevitably have many vertices and triangles.
    Currently, we can not optimize further.

What you can create with Voxel Importer is simple like SD_Human sample animation.
    It is not suitable for creating full size Humanoid animation.
    Use assets such as VeryAnimation and UMotion to create animations.
    Or export it with Dae and create it with Blender etc.

11. RendCycle

RendCycle

Ok, but how can you use this with other animation tools aside from Very Animation? Does those tools (like Umotion or Puppet3D) need to support .vox file first as well for better integration or do I have to export Collada Dae files first? I'm wondering because the connection with any animation done in another tool might break if I ever "refresh" an updated model in Voxel Importer.

12. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

The model created by Voxel Importer is the same one that is the same as other Unity models once setup is completed and it is set to Prefab.
    You should be able to use other animation assets as they are.
    That is because for Unity it is the same thing created from FBX and from Voxel Importer.
    Unless you change the settings or change the contents of the voxel, the result of Refresh will not change.
    If you are worried that problems will occur even in the unlikely event, please output it as a Dae file.
    If so, the problem peculiar to Voxel Importer should not occur.

13. RendCycle

RendCycle

Great! Thank you for the patience and for answering all my questions! I appreciate it very much! :)

14. RendCycle

RendCycle

Hi again! I'm now trying to use the Weight Painting for Voxel Skinned Animation Object. I cannot seem to modify the weights for the Hip Bone. The controls are not present. Pls. see image below:

How do I remove the weights for the knees? I repeated the process 3 times for this model and there are always irregular weights in other parts of the body being left for the Hip Bone even if I am actually done doing weights for other body parts.

15. RendCycle

RendCycle

Solved it! I was able to fix this by just adjusting the knee bone and made sure the covered voxels are "thin" enough for it to bend correctly. :) Still, I haven't successfully connected a good animation as the legs seem to get twisted. Will experiment with this further.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  16. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

It seems to have been solved, but I supplement it.
    The Weight result of Root corresponds to those for which other weights are not set to Weight.
    The vertex where weight is not set automatically means Weight is set to Root.
    By setting the total weight of 1.0 on the knee etc., the weight setting does not exist in Hips.

17. RendCycle

RendCycle

Just came back to rigging. I'm really new to weight painting 3D models. I thought I solved this but I noticed legs does not work correctly. Both legs slightly rotates as knees seem to "magnetically" connect with each other. Should I set a weight of 1 for the knees? What does the colors mean? I guess red is heavier and blue the lightest weight?

18. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

The meaning of color is the same as that expressed by common DCC tool such as Blender.
    In the absence of these knowledge, it is better to simply try 0 or 1 paint and check its operation.
    https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/sculpt_paint/painting/weight_paint/introduction.html

As an example of Weight, please check the setting etc. of this movie.
    The setting of Weight will change depending on how you want to transform the voxel.
    Please display subtitles by automatic translation.

RendCycle likes this.
  19. RendCycle

RendCycle

Ok, will try this out. That's the first time I saw that video and it has English subtitles that is decently translated! Thanks for the assistance! :)

20. RendCycle

RendCycle

I'm now trying to control _EMISSION of a material in an imported Vox model and this error constantly appears (please see image below). Will appreciate any tip on how to fix this.

Do I need to divide the model into two parts to have two separate materials so I can control the one with the emissive color? ...or will it work with just having one model with two separate materials?

21. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

GenerateUV.png
    As shown in the warning, you need to create UV.
    Please enable the item of image.
    In addition to that, correspondence is not necessary.

If you have any doubts about setting etc, please check the sample in the following places.
    VoxelImporter\Examples\Lightmap.unity

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  22. RendCycle

RendCycle

Oh, I didn't notice those example scenes. After checking the Lightmap scene, I encountered an issue in Unity 2018.1.6 when using Realtime Global Illumination (under Lighting tab). But when I specified a scene under LightingData, I was able to view it correctly. For other newbies who will experience this, here is what I did:

On my project game scene, I actually ticked "Generate Lightmap UV" before. But it kept disabling and resetting the Emission color and removing the Cyan values I've set. So when I use my script, which requires a target Material, to control and enable the specific _EMISSION value (82,252,200), the cyan color does not appear.

Anyhow, will check the example further and see what will happen if I integrate my script with it to enable/disable target _EMISSION value. Thanks again! You've got an excellent support service and I will post a positive review soon on your asset! :)

23. RendCycle

RendCycle

Figured out my problem. I've accidentally checked Lightmap Static under Mesh Renderer component which I really do not want.

Because of how thankful I am on how fast the developer answers questions and cares for this product... and also for reference purposes in case I forget what I did later on, I would like to share here the technique that worked for me in controlling lights on an object.

Not sure if this is the proper way or not but I've learned to use two separate Materials for Emission colors if I plan to control them through a script like turning lights on and off.

Step #1: I begin by using Voxel Importer's built-in "Save" material feature to produce the second material that I will use as the bright color for the light. Then I go to the Project window for that material file and manually set the color value to a brighter / more intense one in the same color shade.

Step #2: I search the model in the Project window and expand it to find the default and related Emissive material that came with it and set its color value to a less saturated version or less brighter/intense number.

Step 3: In the Light controller script you wrote, specify the target material with the brightest Emission color value that represents your turned-on light. This will provide you different versions of the light material which you can enable/disable through script to give the illusion of turning on/off a light bulb. Of course you can also add an actual Light Object that has similar bright color value and strategically place it in the center of your light model so you can further control the range, intensity, etc. of the actual light through code. :)

24. peanutgallery

peanutgallery

Whew, Voxel Importer does not play nicely with Unity's new improved prefab setup (version 2018.2.0x-ImprovedPrefabs). I hope it can be fixed soon!

25. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

Thank you for the report.
    ImprovedPrefabs will respond after the corresponding Unity is officially released.
    This is because processing related to Prefab needs to be largely separated from the conventional one.
    I will respond in the future.

peanutgallery likes this.
  26. peanutgallery

peanutgallery

No problem! It's in beta so I wasn't expecting it, I was just curious. :) Thanks as always for your fast support.

27. ApexofReality

ApexofReality

28. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

It is possible to set up Humanoid characters with just Unity.
    That is a big feature of this Asset.
    It also supports the latest MagicaVoxel WorldEditor format.
    Corresponds to ScriptedImporter, it can be used with Unity by just importing vox and qb.

HeadClot88 likes this.
  29. bocs

bocs

@AloneSoft

Some suggestions...(seems like a nice asset)

New Features:
    Create LOD's
    Create Sprite Sheets
    *MagicaVoxel Qubicle To Unity has these features.

Create metal/spec + emission texture
    *I don't know if this is saved in a .vox file..
    *In MagicaVoxel, each color can have mat values like Diffuse,Metal,Glass,Emission for the renderer
    *these could be used to create textures for the standard shader

This could be another feature to set yours apart from the others.

Small nitpick:
    your bone weights view is mostly black.
    a tool I created used a color for each bone.
    I suggest black only for voxels not assigned to a bone..otherwise bone color. something like I did:

RendCycle and HeadClot88 like this.
  30. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

LOD creation is important in terms of performance in Unity, so we would like to respond in the future.
    Although it is about creation of Sprite Sheets, there is no response schedule because I want to use the effort to add this unique feature of this asset, rather than creating the same feature as other assets.

For textures such as Emission, the material information of MagicaVoxel is very special and can not be transferred to Unity as it is.
    However, we consider considering correspondence so that you can select a method to create a texture such as Emission and Metallic separately from the traditional method of separating Materials.

For this asset, we treat vertices that weight has not been assigned to 1.0 in total so that they are allocated to Root's Bone.
    That is, there are no vertices that are not assigned to any Bone.
    This is not intended for experts in the DCC tool, it is now displayed to make the display of Weight as simple as possible for beginners.

31. RendCycle

RendCycle

I just want to report that I think I found a bug. When using Prefabs of a GameObject that has an attached Voxel Object script as Parent and then has its own Child GameObjects also with their own Voxel Object scripts, pressing Refresh on any one of the GameObject (either Parent or Child) while the "Load From Voxel File" box is checked will hide the Material Texture of the other unselected parent/child GameObject. Has anybody tested this? AloneSoft, please let me know if you need me to further elaborate/explain this or if you have a solution/workaround (Maybe I'm doing something wrong). It's kinda difficult working with a lot of Prefabs having this issue. :(

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  32. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

Is this a state where there is a VoxelImporter script in one of the children of GameObject which is Prefab?
    If any of Refresh is done, will Texture etc be lost because Asset other than VoxelImporter script refreshed from Prefab is deleted?
    In the current version, Prefab's VoxelImporter script does not correspond to the nested state.
    This problem will be fixed in the next version 1.1.4.
    Currently, I am doing final operation test.
    just a moment please.

33. RendCycle

RendCycle

Yes, I think your description fits. This means it's not ideal to have a Parent and a Child GameObject both having a Voxel Importer script attached. But this will inevitably happen especially when using Prefabs. Alright, will just wait for the fix on the next version. Thank you! :)

34. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

Version 1.1.4 has been released.
    - ADD : Unity2018.2 support
    - ADD : Change the minimum version to Unity 5.6.2
    - ADD : Configure Disable Face : Discontinue former Enable Face and correspond to more advanced Configure Disable Face
    - ADD : VoxelFrameAnimationObject : Added Name to Frame data so that script can change Frame
    - ADD : VoxelFrameAnimationObject : Add button to set Mesh to None
    - ADD : Generate Tangents : Add flag to generate Tangents
    - FIX : Voxel Importer 's Script Nested There was a problem with Prefab. We responded so that it can be created normally.
    - FIX : VoxelFrameAnimationObject : Refresh immediately after rearrangement causes update failure
    - FIX : VoxelSkinnedAnimationObject : Configure Avatar : UI
    - FIX : Undo

Asset is updated as soon as possible, preparation of videos etc. to explain are delayed.
    I will add it soon.

RendCycle likes this.
  35. RendCycle

RendCycle

Nice! I will update to the latest version ASAP! Many thanks! :)

36. Bioxx

Bioxx

First of all, thanks for this tool. It's extremely useful.

Like others, I'm having trouble using the weight painting due to the unlit shader that you use. I've toyed with editing the source myself to make it better but I'd like to make a suggestion. How about drawing a white wireframe on top of the weight mesh so that we can actually see what we're painting. As it is right now, I have no idea what i'm painting most of the time with a not very complex model.

I'd also recommend setting the default import scale to 0.1 instead of 1.0 because the unity lightmapper does not like objects at those sizes. I'm working with objects imported from MagicaVoxel that fit in a 100x100x50 box and lighting was very wrong until scaled down.

37. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

1. While editing, you can hide the black display and see the original Mesh by pressing space key.
      We will assume that you edit this while checking Mesh using this.

2. The resolution of Voxel varies with data.
      From the data we do not know the proper size value of one Voxel.
      Therefore, I am assuming that the user adjusts the scale and adjusts the size.

38. bocs

bocs

Metal and Emission should be easy to convert...glass i'd would create a submesh.

I made a simple tool to create metal and emission textures based on color. this could be automatic from vox file.

Here is render from magica...Metal and Emission

Standard import into Unity...

Quick tool I made, bakes textures by hand...metal, spec, emission...could be coverted from .vox file

source code....
    https://pastebin.com/EU09maGJ

my point is, MagicaVoxel materials could be converted easy....

RendCycle and AloneSoft like this.
  39. Jacoline

Jacoline

You might want to move the World Edit Import into the resource itself (and splitting into multiple mesh/ texture) instead of part of a game object (which cannot be applied with animation and beyond that a bit annoying.)
    Also unity suggest usage of Obsolete API.

40. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

I'm sorry, I am not good at English, so I do not fully understand what your initial proposal means.
    GameObject becomes Prefab by dragging it to Project Window, and the resource is preserved internally as Sub Asset of Prefab, but is it a different problem?
    Does it want the import like VoxelChunksObject with ScriptedImporter?

In the latest Unity, when importing Asset, Update of old API is done by Unity.
    This is because assets need to work even with old Unity.

41. Jacoline

Jacoline

Not really. When you import skin meshed, it cannot use World Editor Mode since it always require a new mesh.
    And I would instead like the spitted mesh to be generated as part of the resource (along with texture, material, mesh, etc.
    Also 99.2 just got released with large volume support.

42. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

Please let me know what you want.
    Since it means to create skin mesh, is it correct if you are using "VoxelSkinnedAnimationObject"?
    Is it undesirable to have all voxels coalesced into one for optimization when importing with "VoxelSkinnedAnimationObject"?
    Do you mean that you want to import with the division of MagicaVoxel's World Editor Group?
    It is only "VoxelChunksObject" that you can import with the current Group split.

43. Jacoline

Jacoline

Take picture for example, I would like each individual chuck to be generated as part of the resource, possibly acting as standalone .vox like how unity can automatically split spritesheet into individual sprite.
    Capture.PNG
    Also heads up for 99.2's actual release, though changes to vox itself seems minimal.

44. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

The image you gave as an example is "Scripted Importer" import.
    In other words, do you mean that you want the state to be split by Group in MagicaVoxel's World Editor by importing with "Scripted Importer"?
    Do you want the same behavior as Sprite of this image?
    sprite.png

Is 99.2 the version of MagicaVoxel?
    The latest MagicaVoxel 0.99.2 has just been released.
    I will verify the operation from now.

45. Jacoline

Jacoline

That's correct. Both for frame in 0.98 and world in 0.99, in fact, if possible. If you were able to split them inside an object, this should be of little difficulty.
    Are you planning to incorperate the script some post above?

46. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

chunks.png
    It is possible to correspond to the operation equivalent to "VoxelChunksObject" by "ScriptedImporter" like image like the operation.
    However, even in this state it is impossible to use it separately.
    If you try to use a child's GameObject inside Prefab, Unity will add all the Prefabs.
    I guess that Sprite can be used because Unity has its own unique response.
    Such a free action is not given to the function of "ScriptedImporter", so it can not be developed.

47. Jacoline

Jacoline

Still a bit confused since it was not able to generate Prefab, but more like a Vox file than a chunk of a game object.
    Have you considered contacting Unity Support for the lack of "ScriptedImporter" functionality?

48. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

I seem to have made a mistake.
    It is not a problem of the function of "ScriptedImporter".

chunksDp.png
    Children of Prefab can be used alone if they are Texture or Mesh.
    Sprite is equivalent to this and it works.
    However, children 's GameObjects can not be used individually.
    This is a Unity specification. It is the same as other Prefab such as fbx.

Therefore, if you want to use it separately, you will have to duplicate it and take out it separately.
    In such a situation it may be possible to respond in the future.

49. AloneSoft

AloneSoft

Version 1.1.4p1 has been released.
    - ADD : Disable Face Editor : Add buttons to manipulate each face collectively
    - ADD : Exsamples : ShareFacialAnimation
    - FIX : DaeExporter : Export from prefab will fail, so it will be invalidated
    - FIX : VoxelFrameAnimationObject : Preview Icon Render
    - FIX : VoxelFrameAnimationObject : FrameListWindow : Fixed an issue that information not necessary for Frame change was added to Animation during Animation recording
    - FIX : VoxelFrameAnimationObject : Fixed not to be cleared when specified frame name can not be found by change from script

RendCycle likes this.
  50. RendCycle

RendCycle

Thanks for creating new video tutorials! :) In the Character Setup tutorial 2 video that uses an old feature of MagicaVoxel available in version 0.98, I've noticed that each part of the face is a cube. I wish there was also a standalone tool in Voxel Importer that can "animate" textures instead. This is so it might be possible to use lesser number of cubes in the model and still be able to have an animated face and/or smaller details by using various texture frames with different drawings. :D